• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New logo ideas for critique!

jaylem

trending upward

The designs are trending in the right direction. Much of the advise you rec'd is valid but I would caution you against any type of equal weight. Every element should have its own level of dominance aka hierarchy. I wouldn't do anything in color until you have a functioning logo in b/w. It is highly unusual that a business wouldn't have situations that their logo isn't used in b/w. ie. letterhead, invoices, etc... You could also consider only using typography without adding any shapes. Creative type style or combinations of them along with placement can create a visual shape without adding lines. Sometimes less is more.

Check out these resources on logo design. You can use these as inspiration and find some really cool stuff that you like and use that style to build your logo.

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/
http://99designs.com/
https://logolounge.com/
http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/

Keep up the hard work... you'll get it.

jaylem

its all in the name

I see where you're coming from, but I have to respectfully disagree. You can't give equal weight to the top two items in a hierarchy. It would break the hierarchy by way of the two items competing with each other.

Additionally, I can't think of any logical reason that the service/product needs to be at the top of the hierarchy, even for a small business. It just needs to be clear and present in the logo. The name should always be the focus, because that's your brand and it's what you want people to remember, by repetition (and reputation).

The logo needs some work but in regards to the hierarchy I'm not sure that it's wrong. No, I would never have two items competing for for attention so we cant have two items of equal weight. However, if the company's name is "Silverback Signs and Graphics" the hierarchy is emphasizing a specific portion of the company name. If the client wants the entire name in the logo than maybe its not wrong.

jaylem

oh dear god, dont do it.

Seriously go for this:

attachment.php

Seriously.

This would be a production nightmare! How would you print tee shirts with this logo, full color sublimation? Everything you ever put your logo on would be full color? If you ever faxed an invoice to a client that used a b/w printer/fax machine it wouldn't represent you well. do people still use fax machines? btw most customers don't know what a color wheel is and this array of colors could be seen as representing an alternative lifestyle...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Pat Whatley

This would be a production nightmare! How would you print tee shirts with this logo, full color sublimation? Everything you ever put your logo on would be full color? If you ever faxed an invoice to a client that used a b/w printer/fax machine it wouldn't represent you well. do people still use fax machines? btw most customers don't know what a color wheel is and this array of colors could be seen as representing an alternative lifestyle...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Calm down. :Big Laugh

player

Full colour baby! Show what you can do.

As far as the alternative lifestyle... don't be such a racist. :smile:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Ughhh, Great Paul Rands zombie ghost... to put 99Designs and BOTW in the same realm
as Logolounge and Under Consideration... please I beg you...

-------

I posted earlier about the design process, did you use any of that?

You are working with "enclosures" and "crests". The burst thing looks okay but has been
done to death and I think having the name Silvertip adds some disconnect. You can join Logolounge
for 100 bucks and get inspiration there (cheap if you ask me) lots of great stuff, I go through my
logo lounge books and site all the time for inspiration.. What you have is generic, the type is not
all that appealing, your use of the color spectrum must be stopped immediately.

Silvertip means absolutely nothing on a generic shape. I get you don't want to use bears, but
you might be missing the opportunity to use something iconic rather than just generic shapes.
It doesn't have to be a bear... but it should have meaning or tie into something about your name,
business or value.

Attachments

• tippage.jpg
    tippage.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 154

DesireeM

I would start with bottom middle. If only for the simplicity and reproducibility in single color applications. Some of the text is a little cramped and lines are a bit thin so it can bleed and blob at smaller sizes.

As for concept I don't get much from any of them. I agree you should stay away from the color wheel since it definitely does scream print shop and has been done literally a million times. It also doesn't mean much to your average customer.

Rick's contributions are a really great direction to go in. Partially because visually they are very attractive for all the right reasons but mainly for the fact that there is some concept there. The shapes are reminiscent of hand crafted signs and the bear is symbolic, friendly, memorable...
I'm not saying you should copy the logos but there are some basic ideas there that really communicate.

Marlene

why do you feel you need a graphic? just go with a nice font stacked with just a rule or two to break it up

theprintlabtx

I have to say it all feels terribly generic to me. And just personal feelings is that I hate the color wheel thing, I get it but I hate it and feel like it's been beaten like a dead horse and run into the ground repeatedly. My personal approach to logos is to make them more meaningful. Communicate something to your customers with it, tell them who you are through your logo. Get them interested and find out what you do. Don't just make a ad that you call a "Logo". This may or may not be helpful, just my 2 bits.

jaylem

Full colour baby! Show what you can do.

As far as the alternative lifestyle... don't be such a racist. :smile:

First, racism is based on on race or ethnicity. A term that is more associated with prejudice against gays is homophobia. Secondly, the comment isn't about how I feel about a person's sexual orientation. I was simply pointing out that using a rainbow array of colors can and is often associated with being gay. Its all about how colors and arrangement may be perceived. A gay merchant or a merchant catering to the gay community would not dissuade me from doing business with them, but that is not the case with everyone. Why would you take the chance of alienating any segment of your potential client base.

The perception of the rainbow isn't event he biggest reason not to use the aforementioned design. It's all about production, replication, and brand placement. Any design that has so many colors can be highly ineffective.

However, there is one redeeming quality of the design. The use of the iconic bear image is very powerful and should be strongly considered as an element in the logo design. That image is quickly and easily recognize. A recognizable image can start to create trust and rapport with a potential client before they even walk thru the door.

player

First, racism is based on on race or ethnicity. A term that is more associated with prejudice against gays is homophobia. Secondly, the comment isn't about how I feel about a person's sexual orientation. I was simply pointing out that using a rainbow array of colors can and is often associated with being gay. Its all about how colors and arrangement may be perceived. A gay merchant or a merchant catering to the gay community would not dissuade me from doing business with them, but that is not the case with everyone. Why would you take the chance of alienating any segment of your potential client base.

The perception of the rainbow isn't event he biggest reason not to use the aforementioned design. It's all about production, replication, and brand placement. Any design that has so many colors can be highly ineffective.

However, there is one redeeming quality of the design. The use of the iconic bear image is very powerful and should be strongly considered as an element in the logo design. That image is quickly and easily recognize. A recognizable image can start to create trust and rapport with a potential client before they even walk thru the door.

I was joking...

Lighten up...

On the rest of your post, thank you. I can tell you are into this stuff.

jaylem

Hey, I'm sensative

I was joking...

Lighten up...

On the rest of your post, thank you. I can tell you are into this stuff.

No problemo, player. It can be tough to get someone's tone via text messages. Yeah, I'm really into design. Started a little at the voc ed class in HS back in '90 but mostly at a huge boat dealership that liked to everything in-house. Guess I had the most aptitude amoungst all the staff members. We cut vinyl for boat names and reg numbers. Also did a lot of flyers, direct mail, and signs. Did that for about 10 years. I could see my work needed lots of polish so I went back to school for a bachelors in Graphic Design. Left the boat shop and started doing graphics (print, vinyl, and web) out of my home office aka the basement, sub contracting all the print production. Just made the jump to getting out of the basement and into my own building. Currently in construction phase of finishing my new sign shop. ETA 5/11/15. I have a 54" mutoh print and cut package coming. I'm sure there will be a learning curve but I'm pretty compulsive. I have a lot of jobs pre-sold (with cash down) that should keep the printer busy for about three days a week for the first month.

CaliDude

logo

The most important concept to remember in logo design is that a logo should look good on variable size and scale. It should look good on a gigantic billboard all the way down to a dime. I would work with the two circle versions but increase the stroke size of the two floating curved lines. Any reproduction of lines that thin will disappear as I'm sure you know. Also remember that the gradient in the black with reverse white version will also be difficult to see upon reduction. Also, the font thickness may run into issues when printing a rich/process black. Experiment with the bold version of the font you used and also try to throw in a medium bold condensed font. The font you currently have chosen appear to be of a "Light" font face and light/thin type is always problematic on small scale prints. Solid designs overall, I just personally like the structure and flow of the circle designs. Increase the line stroke and possibly leave out the gradient and you're looking pretty narly. Best of luck.

-Calidude