• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Logo

Mader Design

I'm not liking either one of them. I'm not sure how to say it but if I was shown this as a client I wouldn't know what to think. The glows, reflection, and all the bevels, chisel, etc and all the other 20 effects are too much. Why try to use all these effects? Font choice in both aren't great either. Nothing seems to flow.

I would scrap these and start over.

Flame

I'm just gonna get this out there.... you're not a designer. You have a design program, you are not.... a designer.

Sorry bud.

kapelskic

Hey Flame,

Next time you post try to make it something useful and productive instead of just sounding like an idiot! You may be new to critiquing so may I suggest you take a look at the above critiques to see how its done. Thanks and good luck with future critique posts.

To everyone else, I appreciate the critiques. Does anyone have more to say about the newer images i posted??

zmatalucci

before you jump on flame, perhaps you should notate his stellar performance in design over the past couple of years.

kapelskic

If flame is such a stellar performer when it comes to design then i am positive that he has more helpful things to say than what he did. There is really no need to say something like that. It really isn't helpful.

Replicator

Kapelskic,

This is the classic newbie bashing, don't take it so hard . . .

In fact Flame use to get bashed daily on his designs . . .

Then he worked very hard to develop a new style and learn proper design techniques,

now he rarely gets bashed on his work.

kapelskic

Welcome to the forum i guess. I understand the want to "bash" a newbie. I would like to think I am moving past the newbie stage and onto the learning and growth stage. Thus the want for critiques. Which brings me back to asking anyone if they have more to say on the 3 designs i have posted. Thanks again everyone who has helped so far.

Replicator

You have been told they are very amateurish and I have recommended a book that will teach you about solid designs.

I would buy the book, look at designs online and then compare your designs to professional designs you see elsewhere . . .

Then you can judge and critique your own work.

To be honest, I don't post much work here anymore, I need to be my own worst critique when it comes to my own work.

I gotta say, when I design something, I can certainly look at it myself and say . . . Would I want that for myself,

If the answer is no, then it's back to the drawing board.

I hope you don't dismiss my words as flaming you !

by the way, grafixemporium has presented a classy and stylish example of a professional looking design . . . Well Done !

kapelskic

Replicator,

I listen to your words as I do everyone elses. Since I am brand new here I do not know who to favor more than others. However, since I noticed you recently reached 10,000 posts I am going to assume you know what your saying. I missed the recommendation for the book to buy/read. And I do do exactly what you are saying and I view all my pieces objectively. I sit back and ask myself similar questions, I am just not amazing yet. I am working on it. But ya what was that book again and ill check it out?

Replicator

Sorry, I recommended that to someone else . . . Here it is : Mastering Layout by Mike Stevens

The best $30 you'll ever spend.

What will truly make you better is time and patience and learning your tools, not others telling you your work sucks !

If you must post work and need that reassurance, then be prepared for harsh critique as well as guidance,

as they usually go hand in hand around here.

SignManiac

Here you go Kapelskic... Some interesting reading material I found that relates to you and you might benefit from it.

People are being honest and trying to help you for your own good. Listen carefully and try not to make excuses. It takes some time to fit in here as most are really serious about this profession.

http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58046

I suggest you check out this guy. He's designed one or two logo's before and knows a little about the subject. Great reading and advice.

http://www.graphic-design.com/DTG/antonelli/index.html

luggnut

the designs lack polish ... they have so many things going wrong , and i am saying these things not to hurt your feelings ..

have you looked at dan antonelli's graphicd-signs website at some of his stuff or joe diaz diaz sign art. when i see their stuff i am always humbled.

take kapelski design logo the "K" is to far from the rest of the word so it doesn't relate to the "apelski" the texture on the text and the text warp on designs seems to serve no purpose and look thrown in.

look at this one done by dan antonelli.
it is simple but elegant the fonts and colors are harmonious , the icon with the "SH" ... it shows the thought and years of study that took place before

Attachments

• 3062607685_e2c3bae3e4_o.jpg
    3062607685_e2c3bae3e4_o.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 152

kapelskic

SignManiac,
Great other post and reference. I have read some of the other "newbie" posts and I agree with you completely. Some of them get mad because someone says their work sucks and they disagree. I think I am misunderstood a bit so let me explain myself. I am not mad at all at Flame's bash. In fact, I accept it as an inevitability when asking for critique. I am mad that he is so highly thought of here and that instead of giving advice or an actual critique he just decided to bash me. But like replicator said, critique and bashing go hand in hand.

Luggnut, I like the critiques you gave and I see exactly what your saying on the kapelski designs logo. I also like the logo you linked.

Anyone else suggestions, comments, critiques, bashing?

Flame

Hey Flame,

Next time you post try to make it something useful and productive instead of just sounding like an idiot! You may be new to critiquing so may I suggest you take a look at the above critiques to see how its done. Thanks and good luck with future critique posts.

To everyone else, I appreciate the critiques. Does anyone have more to say about the newer images i posted??

Eh, why bother? You're not gonna listen to me anyways. I used to think I was hot stuff too, till I found out I kinda sucked. But it had to be driven home.

Honestly dude, forget the logo, I don't like your attitude. You think it's pretty durn good, and we just don't know what we're talking about. Sorry bro, your logo friggin sucks. It looks like a soccer mom went nuts with MS Publisher. But instead of taking advice, you're trying to back up your skills.

Your a design company, but everything you have posted up looks far from sellable. My only advice is to REALIZE they ain't great, REALIZE you should look into learning the art of design, and then DO IT. Get some books, check out some sites... learn learn learn learn learn. Then work on it until you got it dialed in and then charge, and you'll be one happy camper.

As it is now, sorry, but your designs aren't ready for sale.

So, no, I am not gonna sugarcoat a d**n thing for you, I am gonna tell ya how it is and if you want to get better, maybe just take it all with a grain of salt.

Good luck.

kapelskic

Flame,
I think you group newbies into one category. "why bother? You're not going to listen to me anyways." I think that is the problem. I made a post and I requested suggestion and critiques. My ears were then, and still are wide open. I invite you to critique my work as others have and don't be so quick to assume i wont listen. Example...I rather enjoyed the work/suggestions that GrafixEmporium put forth.

Secondly, I never said at any point i thought my work was amazing, good, or even okay. Yet again you think I am a newbie that needs to wake up. I HAVE. I know my work sucks and believe me I am working on it. But be honest with yourself for a minute, your first "critique" was no help to me. Maybe you don't care about helping a fellow designer, (or what ever you would like to call me). But if thats the case then why even bother wasting your time with a post.

So again, I openly invite you to critique my work and believe me I will be listening. And don't be so quick to judge me. Even if I am labeled a "newbie". And if I don't get another post from you with a critique, then I appreciated the piece of advice you gave above.

Flame

I think you group newbies into one category

errrrr, wrong. I 100% applaud dudes trying.

btw, my first critique wasn't meant to be helpful. My second one was.

You've already received plenty of advice that I'd basically be repeating on what to do with your logo creation. My best advice that I can offer at the moment is start from scratch and... ahem, change the business name while you can. I regret my business name, but after having it for 9 years now... it'd be pretty hard to change.

southpawP8NTR

kapelskic, practice and research....then practice and research more. Logo trends change. Some have staying power and others are a fad. You have your style, stick with it and let it evolve. Best of luck!

Jillbeans

Before you tart up a design with textures and special effects, a rule of thumb is that it has to have snap and eye appeal all on its own in black and white.
You can dress up a pig in diamonds, a tiara, and a feather boa but it's still a pig.
Learn the basic rules of layout, as taught in the suggested book.
Watch kerning and learn which fonts have the most impact. Try to keep your elements tight.
Then if you must, very gently add a choice few effects, always being aware of your light source and which colors work best together.