• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help New print head Mutoh not working

Flagz

I brought a new Mutoh print for a 1638 machine, Has anyone brought a new head and found it to be faulty, I have lost the black colour and the head is dripping not spraying, your thoughts thanks

Flagz

I put a brand new head in with new dampers, set it up and got 7 off the colours comming through perfect but we are missing the black on the 8th chanel its, I noticed that if I flush the 8th chanel is dripping and not spraying like the other colours, I was just woundering if it could be a faulty head before I replace it with a new on which I am reluctant to do because of the cost

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Unfortunately when it drips like that instead of spraying it does indicate a damaged head. I've never seen a brand new one do that though. Usually the damage is caused by flushing the head too hard or the head is very old and just worn out. Did you flush the head before installing it? That's a step we normally advise against even though it's in the service manual because it seems to cause more problems than it solves. I for one have put in 100's of heads and never flush. If you did flush, there is a possibility that you pushed too hard and that caused the issue.

If you really want to be sure before getting a new head, do a damper swap. Simply swap the positions of the black damper with the one next to it but keep the ink lines attached. Run a cleaning and then a nozzle check. If the black can print in a different channel, the head is probably fried. If the black still doesn't print in the new channel and the other colors can print though where the black was, it's more likely an ink flow issue.

Flagz

Thanks for the info, This has never happened before and I have replaced lot's of heads over the past 10 years, no I never flush a new head, I will try swapping the position of the dampners as surgested and see what happens.
Thanks for your input much appricated
Unfortunately when it drips like that instead of spraying it does indicate a damaged head. I've never seen a brand new one do that though. Usually the damage is caused by flushing the head too hard or the head is very old and just worn out. Did you flush the head before installing it? That's a step we normally advise against even though it's in the service manual because it seems to cause more problems than it solves. I for one have put in 100's of heads and never flush. If you did flush, there is a possibility that you pushed too hard and that caused the issue.

If you really want to be sure before getting a new head, do a damper swap. Simply swap the positions of the black damper with the one next to it but keep the ink lines attached. Run a cleaning and then a nozzle check. If the black can print in a different channel, the head is probably fried. If the black still doesn't print in the new channel and the other colors can print though where the black was, it's more likely an ink flow issu

humberto s

did you put in the new ms31 inks when you put in the new print head? the transport liquid inside the heads together with the ms31 inks causes clogged noozle if the transport liquid is not well removed. where did you buy the print head? on digiprint?