• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Roland VSi....anyone have one yet?

threeputt

We're thinking of upgrading printers before year's end. (think tax advantages)

Currently running an SP-540v which is about 7 years old. Love it, its been a workhorse, but would like the expanded capabilities of the VSi.

Anyone have one? Comments?

ova

Just had the Versa Art RE -640 delivered and installed last week. We only had the sp300v, so this new one is like going from a VW to a Rolls. So far real happy with it. Still trying to get the colors right. Finally found a good tech guy and company for the Rolands. That's the main reason we got another one.

Good luck with your new purchase.

Dave

scuba_steve2699

I have installed 2 of them now and have been able to do testing and profiling on it. Pretty crazy machine - the inks dry very fast and the color gamut is def improved.

NateF

I still haven't made a final decision, but I'm probably going to add a VS-540i in the next month or so. This will be my first wide format printer, so I don't really have anything to compare it to, though. I'm just trying to figure out which ink setup I want - CMYKx2 or CMYKLcLmLk

scuba_steve2699

I still haven't made a final decision, but I'm probably going to add a VS-540i in the next month or so. This will be my first wide format printer, so I don't really have anything to compare it to, though. I'm just trying to figure out which ink setup I want - CMYKx2 or CMYKLcLmLk

Go with the light black configuration - your grey colors will thank you for it!

Mike_Koval

lt. black config for sure...as steve says grays are not a problem anymore.

Photo quality prints are greatly improved as well

Triple S

I own one, awesome machine was tough getting in going without the profiles. Since then Rolands tech dept. has sent me a link to download some profiles that they have made. Went with the WMt set up due to a comment that I was fortunate read saying something like if in 5 years you cant print Mt will you feel like your behind the curve? But it all depends what your using it for.

VL

Ours was installed last Thurs. This is our first solvent (eco) so I cannot give any feedback on how it compares, But it's great! We had the additional Benes heater installed and are running Lt Black ink. Glad we went with this configuration because we print lots of gray scale and it now prints gray without having to do adjustments in photoshop. The Roland installer said that they made 4 changes to this machine and thought it made it better than the XR-640. I printed with the White ink yesterday and it looks good too. I do hate the smell of this printer. We ordered an inline fan and plan on building a system to filter the smell and heat out of the room.

CreativeFactor

VS-540i - JUST INSTALLED

Just got ours installed today, great so far, MT not very impressive from what I can see. Had to re install versa to make it work and now im troubleshooting cut errors (wont cut path)
Its clearly a software glitch as our xc-540 had no problems and now will not cut!

weird.... will update once I solve the problem!

stonetree

I was about to buy one and the dealer said the print speed is about half of my vp540 if the machine is set up with mt and white. Anyone know how the speed is? They said if it was set up cmyk cmyk it would be faster than the vp but, if set up with white and mt it was about half as fast and would be terrible and expensive pain to reconfigure afterwards. They also cautioned just in normal cleaning cycles two cartriges of mt and white per year would get used up at 250.00 or so each, that would be worst case if you didn't use much of either and it just got cycled through on cleanings. Any thoughts on this?

hyperdrive

The mt. option has to use the correct profile!!! Anything else looks bad.. Start with the pcv4 mt profile...Be sure you are using the mt profiles and have the roland mt color swatches.
Mt. prints are great looking when done right.

stonetree

I was about to buy one and the dealer said the print speed is about half of my vp540 if the machine is set up with mt and white. Anyone know how the speed is? They said if it was set up cmyk cmyk it would be faster than the vp but, if set up with white and mt it was about half as fast and would be terrible and expensive pain to reconfigure afterwards. They also cautioned just in normal cleaning cycles two cartriges of mt and white per year would get used up at 250.00 or so each, that would be worst case if you didn't use much of either and it just got cycled through on cleanings. Any thoughts on this?

I guess we are going with the xr640, trying to ge the deal done tomorrow.

scuba_steve2699

Just got ours installed today, great so far, MT not very impressive from what I can see. Had to re install versa to make it work and now im troubleshooting cut errors (wont cut path)
Its clearly a software glitch as our xc-540 had no problems and now will not cut!

weird.... will update once I solve the problem!

With the metallic it really makes a difference on what substrate you are printing on and the mode used (blended or layered) - also if the convert spot colors box is not checked in Versaworks on the file format tab, the metallic colors will not print correctly and will look very dull.

The glossier a substrate is, the more the metallics pop!

scuba_steve2699

Here is a link to the tech specs showing speeds on the printer - http://www.rolanddga.com/products/printcut/versaVsi/specifications.asp

The VP Had a max output speed of around 80 sqft per hour if i remember correctly. The specs are no longer on the site.

The VSi is slower with the non dual CMYK modes but it would not be slower than a VP running CMYK - it will be much slower when using modes that use white or metallic inks as it splits the printhead for production and needs longer to dry basically doubling the time if not more to get the print. A machine setup with let's say CMYK Lc Lm Lbk and white would still print faster than a VP when not using the white channel.

It is all in what you would be utilizing the machine for. I think it is slightly foolish not to go with the light black channel as it is absolutely amazing what it does for the grey colors.

Just my 2 cents!

splizaat

Subscribed...also coming off SPv series printer...was thinking VSi over the XC and XR. For us, speed isn't an issue - we don't keep the printer running full time so I'd rather have great print quality and excellent grays. It's definitely faster than an SPv though right?! :) We have not enough demand for White or metallic...

I'm assuming when you say the Light Black route, you're referring to this config?
CMYKLcLmLk

Versus

Graphics
VSi 540 MT

This is a interessting thread, as we just bought a Vsi540 with Metallic and white.
We are not jumping around in joy of the metallic colors, far from it. we´re having a few problems with profiles.
Does anyone here have some good overall profiles that they might want to share?

We cant seem to get the White to be "strong" enought on transparant surfaces, even with multiple prints on the same place.
Any Tips or hints on this printer a fellow printer could use? :)

i appolygies for my bad english.