• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New thread for the new logo...

Moze

FWIW I saw the level right away. I do prefer this one over the first one. I keep my mouth shut on most of these, to avoid ruffling any feathers of current or future customers

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree - I don't think the level is hard to make out and I definitely prefer this one as well.

I don't have any feathers, so no fear of anything getting ruffled here. And I don't mind comments a bit - even if they lack tact, I can appreciate the advice and opinions being offered. :smile:

ForgeInc

Took me a while to even see the ruler marks, I would lose em like others have suggested, they will disappear at small size and don't offer much IMHO.

This one is SO much stronger!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
LOVE IT. Huge improvement over the last one.

And don't listen to bob....he just hates life.

Nonsense, I have a joie de vivre second to none in these waters. That being the case, allow me to expand on my previous comment..

Compared to the first abomination offered up for comment, this effort is orders of magnitude better.

Compared to any objective standard this, unfortunately, is but an eminently forgettable collection of too many effects, pedestrian typography, and no substance. Compounded by a cloying and predictable depiction of a stylized carpenter's level. Hardly a precision instrument. If it were there wouldn't be so many walls out of plumb.

I admit that the concept of 'precision' is difficult to convey at a glance, try doing the word in a charades competition sometime. That in no way means that this example effectively conveys the concept. It does not.

In thus commenting I once again have the distinct feeling that I'm the one pointing out that this Phillip specimen has no clothes.

ucmj22

Nonsense, I have a joie de vivre second to none in these waters. That being the case, allow me to expand on my previous comment..

Compared to the first abomination offered up for comment, this effort is orders of magnitude better.

Compared to any objective standard this, unfortunately, is but an eminently forgettable collection of too many effects, pedestrian typography, and no substance. Compounded by a cloying and predictable depiction of a stylized carpenter's level. Hardly a precision instrument. If it were there wouldn't be so many walls out of plumb.

I admit that the concept of 'precision' is difficult to convey at a glance, try doing the word in a charades competition sometime. That in no way means that this example effectively conveys the concept. It does not.

In thus commenting I once again have the distinct feeling that I'm the one pointing out that this Phillip specimen has no clothes.

Oh Bob, I never get tired of reading your posts. Whether I agree or disagree I know its always honest.

Moze

Bob, two things - and I'm being 100% sincere and I'm not attacking you or being the least bit sarcastic:

1.) There are a number of other designers that have made approving comments in this thread in regards to the logo. You're the ONLY one that has said the entire thing is basically garbage. Do all of the other designers in this thread have that horrible of taste that they can't see these supposedly glaring flaws that you see? I mean, this is the equivalent to the kid in class that doesn't get along with ANYONE, but they lay the blame on EVERYONE but themselves.

2.) With the effort you put into your criticism and disparaging comments, I have to assume that surely, you design logos. If so, I would sincerely love to see your work. I've searched through your posts and can't find any designs you've done or links to your site or portfolio.

Vinylman

"The secret of being a bore... is to tell everything." Voltiare

bob has it nailed!:covereyes:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Bob, two things - and I'm being 100% sincere and I'm not attacking you or being the least bit sarcastic:

1.) There are a number of other designers that have made approving comments in this thread in regards to the logo...

That would be a number of people. Whether or not those same people are competent to perform or comment on this sort of work is not in evidence. 50,000,000 people thinking something is good does not make it good by any objective standard

You're the ONLY one that has said the entire thing is basically garbage...

I did not say it was garbage, I said it was forgettable. Here in my village there's a lot of space between 'good' and 'garbage'. Perhaps not so much in binaryland.

Do all of the other designers in this thread have that horrible of taste that they can't see these supposedly glaring flaws that you see? I mean, this is the equivalent to the kid in class that doesn't get along with ANYONE, but they lay the blame on EVERYONE but themselves.

What does calling 'em as I sees 'em have to do with children getting along with each other? Do you feel that honesty is trumped by diplomacy. There's many that do, I do not.

2.) With the effort you put into your criticism and disparaging comments, I have to assume that surely, you design logos. If so, I would sincerely love to see your work. I've searched through your posts and can't find any designs you've done or links to your site or portfolio.

My comments are, for the most part, effortless. But even if they were fraught with intense labor, what would that have to do with the quality, or lack thereof, of design?

I have no site, no portfolio, or any of the standard ego-boosting accoutrements affected by many here.

These things would be in direct conflict with by basic desire to have a lifestyle that does not require my presence. Moreover I am confident in my abilities honed over the last six decades, I have no need of either approbation or vituperation. I simply do not care what you or anyone else might think of anything I do. I only care what the person paying for it might think.

To be honest, I seldom design logos. I do signs. More often than not a client will commandeer some element or another of a sign to use as it's logo. Fine by me, I have other things to do. This lack of interest, or at least active participation, in this particular niche market does not mean that I'm incapable of evaluating others product in this area.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I cannot read most of Bob's posts without consulting a dictionary. I feel dumb

I must say with his colorful commentary, his name is not befitting. Guessing "Bob" is not his real name.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I cannot read most of Bob's posts without consulting a dictionary. I feel dumb

I must say with his colorful commentary, his name is not befitting. Guessing "Bob" is not his real name.

Suspected origin of the legend of BOB:

Bob was a Microsoft software product, released in March 1995, although widely publicised prior to that date under the codename "Utopia"[3][4], which provided a new, non-technical interface to desktop computing operations. It was one of Microsoft's more visible product failures.[5] Microsoft's Steve Ballmer mentioned Bob as an example of a situation "where we decided that we have not succeeded and let's stop".[6]

ForgeInc

Re: Bob and his comments, I usually find him a blowhard who uses big words and lots of 'em.

Take what he says with a grain of salt and try not to egg him on, he relishes sharing his opinons whether right or wrong, appropriate or not.

Doesn't mean I don't sometimes agree or find it entertaining. Tactful? No. Honest? Fer sure...

ProWraps

just be glad your not that poor horse. could you imagine having to have bobs a** on your back for extended periods of time?

Moze

...anyway, lol...thank you to everyone for the comments and thanks to Phillip for designing a great looking logo. :smile: