• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Guy New to the business of wraps and more and need advice

brentjosker

Agreed with all you said
This is good advice if Arizona didn't require a C-38 Sign Contractors license... you can't even broker an electrical sign there, not legally anyway. The other thing, the risk is greater with an LED screen, or larger projects, it's why there are bonding, savings and insurance requirements. I have met more than a few hack fabricators and installers that could sabotage even the simplest of projects.

The other thing I see wrong with your argument is...
Say I'm a 40 something year old with too much credit, retirement savings, making enough to get by but not enough to feel comfortable - say he's making 30 an hour... if it actually took 29 hours to sell, design, print, laminate and install 2 wraps, He's still making a hair more than 125 an hour after costs... looks great on paper till you add what you mention.... the time it takes to learn the software, design, misc expenses, finding installers and getting the work.

By the way, it took me a while to learn how to design large LED screens, even with shop drawings and engineering from an LED vendor... There is going to be a learning curve.

If he pursues this, he really needs to know how to read a client. I have designed a wrap in a half an hour that looked great, and butt-ugly stuff that took 20 hours...

equippaint

We all have to start somewhere and I wish you luck with it. Most everyone that I know thought my business would not be feasible and almost 9 years later were still here.
Many here say to outsource your printing until you can afford a printer. Honestly, if you cant afford a printer dont quit your day job. You need capital to start a business, about 5x more than you think. I dont care what you know or how good you are if you dont have it, chances are that you will fail. Not just in this industry, it goes for all businesses.

Bly

If you really want to do it you won't take any of the naysayer's advice.

Get a subscription to the Wrap Institute.
Learn by doing. Wrap your own and family members cars.

Make some expensive mistakes like we all have heh.

ams

Unless you are an expert and very experienced, wraps aren't worth it. Generally it can take you 2 or 3 full days to do a wrap depending on the vehicle, plus the cost in vinyl, laminate, screw ups, time, etc. The ending profit isn't worth it. If you make $600 - $700 after 16 hours of work, I can install an electrical sign in 3 hours and make $1,000 profit.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If you really want to do it you won't take any of the naysayer's advice.

Get a subscription to the Wrap Institute.
Learn by doing. Wrap your own and family members cars.

Make some expensive mistakes like we all have heh.

+1

You can save yourself some of those expensive mistakes by getting some hands on training.

Justin Pate's Avery class is well worth the money. You get a couple of days worth of training and tools and a roll of vinyl for $800. You wont be an expert when your done, but at least you will know the right techniques. You will still need lots of practice.

It's always good to wrap your own vehicle because you can see how long it lasts and when it fails you will learn what techniques worked and which didn't.

In reality the best way to learn is by working with someone who knows what they are doing for 6 months before you go out on your own. But, I think your past that stage so don't stop at just one class, there is always more to learn. In the end, you will thank me because you will learn something in each class that will save you thousands of dollars a year by limiting mistakes and making your installations faster and higher quality.

Other training:
Also check your local distributors. They often host one day classes sponsored by manufactures or printers that are next to free.

T_K

If he pursues this, he really needs to know how to read a client. I have designed a wrap in a half an hour that looked great, and butt-ugly stuff that took 20 hours...
And don't forget about the designs that look good (if not great) and the client tells you to redo it in a way that looks like crap (e.g. "I wan't to put my entire brochure on the side of my van, even though you just told me that's not effective.")

T_K

We all have to start somewhere and I wish you luck with it. Most everyone that I know thought my business would not be feasible and almost 9 years later were still here.
Many here say to outsource your printing until you can afford a printer. Honestly, if you cant afford a printer dont quit your day job. You need capital to start a business, about 5x more than you think. I dont care what you know or how good you are if you dont have it, chances are that you will fail. Not just in this industry, it goes for all businesses.

Yep. I'm getting ready to start my own company. Starting it as a side gig and operating more as a broker at first since I don't have the capital for all the equipment. Not my ideal way to get going, but it's a way to start and see if I could even hack it in my local market. I'm in a position that I don't have to worry about competing with my current employer and earn too much to jump ship until I'm actually earning a good income from my side business. My guess is it will take a few years minimum for me to feel comfortable in jumping out on my own. I hate how slow it feels moving this forward, but "slow is smooth, smooth is fast." Also, I have a young child at home - can't risk the house on a gamble. As long get payment upfront enough to cover my costs and pay my taxes, this approach is about as low risk as I can think of.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Unless you are an expert and very experienced, wraps aren't worth it. Generally it can take you 2 or 3 full days to do a wrap depending on the vehicle, plus the cost in vinyl, laminate, screw ups, time, etc. The ending profit isn't worth it. If you make $600 - $700 after 16 hours of work, I can install an electrical sign in 3 hours and make $1,000 profit.

Like I mentioned to another on this thread... I tend to agree except maybe the profit he gets for making wraps at a snails pace is probably more than he is making now and... like Virginia, you are required to hold an sign contractors license in Arizona, same as Virginia, you are required to have 3 years of experience prior to getting a license. If he tried to contract without a license, then that $1000 profit could be used for legal fees in case he gets busted...

Last edited:

AKwrapguy

My advice....DONT DO IT. many many hours, little profit when you put 8 hours into a car and the customer pulls it apart in 3.3 seconds cause the two idiots you hired who claimed they are certified arent actually certified they are preferred which mean crap in our industry. Its gonna take you a solid 5 years of software skills and wrap experience to get the tools you need toget profitable
Here example Arlon SXL with overlam is 850.00 it will do approx 2 cars plus inks another 500.00. Min 8 to 10 hours of design if you nail it out of the gate. 6 hours of print another 3 hours of lam and trim. Car prep time with wrap is 8 to 10 hours, the cost out the door is around average 2400 to 2600 dollars so unless your doing volume you aint killing it
In comparision, customer orders LED screen, do drawing , get approval, provide quote, get permot, line up subs, complete in 4 weeks and colllect final payment walk away with 5 to 8 grand..you pick

I have questions regarding your math here...

You say you use $500 in ink for 2 vehicle wraps? What type of printer are you using? What type of ink?

You also say that it takes 6 hours to print, another 3 hours of lam and trim? Again what laminator are you using/how are you laminating?

AKwrapguy

Wraps are a fad

;)

The color change 'Bro I want to wrap my car in Carbon Fiber' wraps or the business 'I have a small fleet I want to wrap'? While I think that the personal vehicle wrap market is limited, as most people don't want to spend the money to get it done, the commercial/marketing side is not going away anytime soon unless there is some sort of new disruptive technology out there.

neato

While I mainly made that comment tongue in cheek, I do think we're already reaching a point were the public is getting burnt out on what most consider "wraps". They were a novelty in the beginning and commanded attention, but most markets are so overly saturated now, they all blend into one big giant bowl of carbon-fiber, flamed out, diamond plate jello. I see the trend heading back toward simpler, cleaner graphics. I'm not saying digital printing is a fad, far from it, but I think the days are numbered for full coverage, busy graphics.

I think anyone getting into this business would do well to outsource their printing, and spend their time and energy learning the principles of great design instead of dropping tens of thousands on printers. and learning how to calibrate, maintain and run them.

When you learn to design something clean and can make a vehicle look as great ad Dave Correll's or Jeff Devey's look in the new SignCraft with simple graphics, you won't care about covering a vehicle with a sheet of vinyl.

equippaint

I dont think theyre a fad but its a mature market i.e steady but not growing. Its saturated with suppliers and being priced as a commodity.
IIRC, wraps started coming around in the late 80s / early 90s as a marketing tool, youd see them mostly on buses. So its never been a fad, it is a legit industry segment. In memory of, calvin stickers etc are fads. Correct me if Im wrong

papabud

Lone Wolf
i dont know. i do loads of different lettering packages and wraps. the number of my wrapped vehicles is growing to the point i out source the installations. even with that if i was to release all my work into the market at once for installs. i could keep every installer in town busy for 2 months.
i might be exaggerating a little. but the struggle is real
mostly due to customers spending weeks in the design phase then want the wrap done the next day

brentjosker

I have questions regarding your math here...

You say you use $500 in ink for 2 vehicle wraps? What type of printer are you using? What type of ink?

You also say that it takes 6 hours to print, another 3 hours of lam and trim? Again what laminator are you using/how are you laminating?

Im using a mutoh 1324x. I use flexi 12 for my rip and print. 220 cartidges are 64.99 each it is a 4 color printer. Each wrap kit is 675. Sq feet at 54" x 50 yrds. I print my wraps in 6 hours on average. I use a 54" seal laminator i dont use the pedal for speed control rather the manual controls ...much faster.
My math was on the fly as in not meant to be perfect rather a vague assumation of the work and rime that goes into a wrap.
Time can vary and depend on operators and machine... I have seen them shorter and see them run longer.
What was your point? Your not going to give me a math lesson are you? Your not gonna tell how great you are and you can do 4 hours of print with 1 hour of lam and trim are you? Like i said im talking averages here....

v0y4ger

I've tossed the idea around for awhile and have decided its something I would like to fully pursue. There is so much I have to learn etc. So any helpful advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am wanting to get started with car wraps. Regular vehicle wraps and also dirt tracks race car wraps.
My current questions are:
*what is a good design software?
*what are some starting points for me to start with?
*advice on printers/ cutters and vinyl or the right products to use

Sorry if its vague. Thank you in advance

It might be worth having a chat to your nearest vinyl supplier - some run wrap courses.

Wrapping isn’t something you’ll pick up overnight and you will certainly need plenty of practice and/or training before you charge anyone for it.

See if you can make it to some of the trade shows and actually see a demo.

This kind of information and skill is going to be something that many of us have paid a great deal of money for. You won’t get it for free and you tube will certainly miss out the important bits