• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to the forum design question

markmwv

Hi all. I am new to the forum and new to the design world. My efforts are directed to the automotive market and I'm using Adobe Illustrator CS5 as my design software. I would like to know if there is a tool or technique to design the attached picture. A graduated line vector with graduated gaps. Something that can be scaled and be able to use various amounts of lines. I hope I made sense. Lol

Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have

Attachments

• strobe.JPG
    strobe.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 105

markmwv

Yes. I found this picture for a Challenger. I like the effect and would like to adapt the concept to fit some GM models.

bikecomedy

Use the graduated step tool... Build the smallest width and the largest width as a box. Place them on their respective ends. Count the number of graduations and use the graduated step tool to make the boxes between. Now Use the pen tool and create the outline and place it over the boxes. Use the pathfinder divide tool to divide the pen tool shape and the boxes. Ungroup. Then delete the parts you don't want. This will leave you with the design. If anyone knows a faster way would love to hear it.

markmwv

Thanks for suggestion bikecomedy. I'll give that a try shortly. There's over 50 peices to this particular graphic. It would take forever to hand calculate this. That's why I thought there may be a method to use.