• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New XF-640 Banding Issue

dispen

Hello all,

I have three XF-640's bought in March-14; April-14 and May-14.

In the beginning I had all patterns in 2 (60meter sq/h) passes with no issues. As months passes, printing quality decreased and we increased number of passes to 3 and 4 (30meter sq/h).

The issues we have is some light colors with some specific fabric which is 10% of all work. But we haven't had such big problems so far.

I am posting photos of each ROLAND in case it will be useful:

I have attached current printing samples.
dev_7 is printing in 2 passes (relatively a very easy pattern).
dev_1 and dev_2 are printing in 4 passes. ==> Months ago we used to print with 2 passes such patterns.

The supplier claims that printhead is overused in months (we work 7/24 in textile business). They say that printhead replacement solves all our printing issues.

I am curious about how long you guys have been using those printhead; and do you operate the ROLAND's 7/24?

Best Regards...

Attachments

• dev_1.jpg
    dev_1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 421
  • dev_7.jpg
    dev_7.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 405
  • dev_1_1.jpg
    dev_1_1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 368
  • dev_2.jpg
    dev_2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 366
  • dev_7_2.jpg
    dev_7_2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 392

Accuratea

Heya guys!
Iv also just got two new XF-640 printers.
And sadly also got some banding issues (among other things).

I print with 720-MD 8-pass (1 square metre = 3,65 min)
and with 720x1440-MD (1 square metre = 6,3 min)
I print 90% on vinyl for car-wrap and signs and need the quality, thus the slow print speeds.

Banding issues with a bunch of different colors. Iv adjusted bi-direction and such.
The banding can vary on where it is, left side, right side, all over etc.

Also got some kind of calibration problem, where when I do a "Calibration Test Print", even though the two "stacks" doesnt line up perfectly (_very_ small white line between them) my prints still get to small when they are done.

Im having a tech over next week. I'll let you know If they'll come up with anything not posted here!

nhuminh

printing from my XF-640 at 6pass 720x720 on Vinyl with Third-Party ecosolvent Ink

Attachments

• IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 348

davorf

Same with RF 640

We purchased two new RF 640 machines and both of them have very similar issues (banding is more visible on sides of the media, could call it "side banding").
At the same time we had RE 640 which is almost the same machine and it was showing the same issue as well. Could say that all of these 3 machines were having the same issue.
The dealer is still looking for solution, almost no improvements till now...
This is our first encounter with Roland, was expecting much much more.

graphicwarning

I haven't forgotten about this thread and some of the questions and responses... I have been waiting for some news from Roland regarding this issue (on month 4 now). Looks like I'll have an update very soon on the situation, and I'll share with everyone the outcome, which so far is NOT looking promising!

dispen

Observations about banding issue

Hi,
I will share my observations about banding issue.

So far, I am sure that I did not encounter banding issue with ROLAND XF-640; because we are not in sign bussiness; we are in sublimation bussiness.
We print on paper; then, we transfer the pattern from paper to fabric.

I saw banding on the paper (on some colors; not all), like you; but that issue vanishes when we transfer to fabric. In our case, if the pattern on fabric is good, then there is no problem.

So, My devices must be same as yours; but the technique differs. That must be why I didn't encounter same result on the FABRIC.

Regards...

PS: I will share the the case of banding issue when I encounter one.

House m.d.

XF Cyan Banding

Hi All,

I have similar problem but only on Cyan. I use JetBest eco sol 2 on my machine. Tried to replace print heads, dampers and flushed ink lines. Have any of you solved problems with your machines??? What inks do you use??
Any advice is welcome.

Tnx

Last edited:

IvKol

First , Hi to All.
Same problems here... When i start working with this machine (XF640) it was a big pain..to get nice filled color without banding , i has to print on hq-12pass on 650 speed... after Googling the problem.. I found a topic from people with our model macihne, which get report from Roland , and a "Repair Kit". My dealer contacted Roland , and Get that "Repair Kit" then added it to our machine... Results, not so worse banding.. but still there.. i've tried A LOT of configurations/profiles/media types... with not big difference.. problem is still there.
Sorry for bad English.
Cheers

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Good day,

I have to steal the thread for a second. We are very happy with our Roland XR-640 going on 9th month. No issues whatsoever. We don't print 24/7 but do run good amount. We run the printer with Bordeaux Eco Fuze PRO4 ink with no issues. 40% savings over OEM. PM for more information.

Bordeaux Eco FUZE PR4

Premier Colour, Inc
949-209-7306

JoshLoring

We have been having this same issue with our XR-640 going on 3+ months now did you get it resolved?

Sounds like everyone is having issues with these heads. Banding is a major problem. Will run good at first but give it time. I wonder when they will realize it's a faulty product. For the few out there running with no issues... Run more media.
I also have a feeling some people that are new printer owners are printing with banding because they don't know the difference and it's their only printer.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
We have the same issue with our RF-640. Slight banding with certain colors. Mainly blues and greens. Some colors are perfect but not others. Thought maybe a profile issue but that hasn't fixed it. We've learned to just deal with it. The lines give it a slight vintage look and from a slight distance it's not really noticeable. Sucks that I have to see it that way but I'd be thrilled if there was a fix found. Please update. I gave up on my Roland service guy and rep a long time ago. :(

Ryan

jeff412

Currently I have an SP 540 V. I print everything on high quality because I can't stand the slightest amount of banding. I need more speed. I was about to pull the trigger on an XF or XR-640 until I read this thread. Last year I ordered samples from my dealer on the RF-640 and it was terrible. There was banding at all quality settings. I decided wait a little longer and get a better machine. I have an appointment set up for Monday to see the XR-640 in action. If there is the slightest banding, I'll just keep using the SP. Maybe I'll just get a second one and double my speed.

Jeff
https://stickertalk.com

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Currently I have an SP 540 V. I print everything on high quality because I can't stand the slightest amount of banding. I need more speed. I was about to pull the trigger on an XF or XR-640 until I read this thread. Last year I ordered samples from my dealer on the RF-640 and it was terrible. There was banding at all quality settings. I decided wait a little longer and get a better machine. I have an appointment set up for Monday to see the XR-640 in action. If there is the slightest banding, I'll just keep using the SP. Maybe I'll just get a second one and double my speed.

Jeff

We buy eco solvent printers for resell purposes or customers who want to trade in for Mutoh printers. We've owned pretty much every model of Roland eco solvent printer. If you calibrate it rightl, use the appropriate color profile, good printing materials, banding should not be there running standard. We run our XR640 for SGIA 2-15 show today, 0 banding on our sample print packs. You as the owner should take care of the printer or know what you are doing. It is like running a car without oil and blaming the car does not run. :noway: For the record, SP540V is a good printer. We call it build like a tank. Perhaps change out the two exhausted printheads, four of the dampers and the two cap tops. It is about $3,000 investment. The printer should run like new.

You will see our materials printed in action: Like if you like what we do.
https://www.facebook.com/premiercolour?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

Nice day

Francis

jeff412

I am very happy with the output my SP-540V. Just not the speed. This is why I am considering a faster machine. I am very picky about the output. I actually have a large magnifying lamp on a stand next to the printer, so I can verify that the output is perfect. I have never seen a printer that doesn't produce banding on high speed (low quality) prints. If you know of one or have some secret insight into how to tweak the printer a little more to eliminate it, I love to hear about it.

Jeff

We buy eco solvent printers for resell purposes or customers who want to trade in for Mutoh printers. We've owned pretty much every model of Roland eco solvent printer. If you calibrate it rightl, use the appropriate color profile, good printing materials, banding should not be there running standard. We run our XR640 for SGIA 2-15 show today, 0 banding on our sample print packs. You as the owner should take care of the printer or know what you are doing. It is like running a car without oil and blaming the car does not run. :noway: For the record, SP540V is a good printer. We call it build like a tank. Perhaps change out the two exhausted printheads, four of the dampers and the two cap tops. It is about $3,000 investment. The printer should run like new.

You will see our materials printed in action: Like if you like what we do.
https://www.facebook.com/premiercolour?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

Nice day

Francis

player

I had an SP540v for years. It has 2 heads, and 2 colours per head. I replaced it recently with a VP540i, which has 4 heads, with one colour per head. The output quality is better with the VP. It could have something to do with the "variable wave technology" Roland put in the newer printers, or that there are 2 channels of each colour, not one.

Snook

Roland xf 640

We purchased our Roland XF640 2 years ago. We have had major issues with it. Several smaller issues, but the big one is banding. To get by right now we have to calibrate before every print. On the positive side, it appears Denco is stepping up and providing good support. There have been times where I question the responsiveness and desire to assist, but in the end Denco seems to do the right thing every time. After reading all the threads it sounds like the XF640 has major issues. Feel free to PM me for details.

bilge

some people confuse within roland models.
SP or VP are using different (older) printhead than VS, RE, XF, RF etc.
The new printheads speed limit is in VS and RE. No more speed you can get. XF has multicolor dual printheads,
so banding issue is inherent, impossible to resolve. Mimaki dual printhead printers are the same.

RF's side banding is also because of speed. Try to print in Full width setting or slow down. Or buy Maintop RIP.
It's cheap, but worth to try.

if someone who wants more speed then buy another single headed Roland printer or bigger
printhead (seiko, spectra, konica, hitachi etc) installed printer.