• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie here with some Mutoh Toucan Hybrid questions.

Robert Carter

Hi, my name is Robert Carter and I have a small printing and sign shop in Kentucky, I was recently given a Mutoh Toucan Hybrid I believe 2005 model. it's serial # is 000014 so I guess it was one of the first of it's kind. It has been sitting for 2 years and we are now trying to get it operational. our first error was e100 negative pressure pump and we have gotten past that error. We have gotten the black, cyan, light cyan to prime, the magenta would not prime and after looking at the lines at the bottle we saw a break in the line. we repaired it but can't seem to get the magenta to prime. Any thoughts?

gregwallace

So are you saying that you cant get the magenta ink to the head? Does this machine have secondary ink tanks (sub tanks). I assume there are ink pumps on this machine? What about filters? I googled Mutoh Toucan Hybrid and found this same thread on several other printing forums. I'll try to help you get this figured out. Just describe the setup of your printer to me the best you can.

CRD

For troubleshooting the magenta line. Break all in parts and check with a syringe the flow of the ink through tubes, bottles and pump first.
Then connect them one by one and in each step with a syringe if you can pull inkt to the head. Then.....................
Paco

gregwallace

So are you saying that you cant get the magenta ink to the head? Does this machine have secondary ink tanks (sub tanks). I assume there are ink pumps on this machine? What about filters? I googled Mutoh Toucan Hybrid and found this same thread on several other printing forums. I'll try to help you get this figured out. Just describe the setup of your printer to me the best you can.

Regarding the ink pumps, what I meant to say was where are they located? Are they under the capping station or next to the primary ink tank?

Robert Carter

Regarding the ink pumps, what I meant to say was where are they located? Are they under the capping station or next to the primary ink tank?
Actually got the magenta working ok. now I'm having a problem with the black. Had a line break and traced the problem down to a bad filter now I'm having a problem getting the black to fill up again. I appreciate your help Sir.

CRD

For troubleshooting the black line. Break all in parts and check with a syringe the flow of the ink through tubes, bottles and pump first.
Then connect them one by one and in each step with a syringe if you can pull inkt to the head. Then.....................
Paco

gregwallace

In my experience an error relating to the pump usually means that the pump has timed out. When the pump is told by the printer to turn on, the pump only activates a certain number of times before timing out. This would mean that the pump could not get enough ink to its desired location within a certain amount of time or number of pumps. You need to find what is restricting the pump from working correctly. My first guess would be air. Disconnect the lines associated with the black channel and pull ink through them with a syringe until no more air is coming out. You need to get as much of the air out as possible for the pumps to work properly. Besides air it could be a filter that is clogged restricting the inks ability to flow or a crack in the ink line. A crack would show with an obvious leak. Can you describe the ink system please. Just pick an ink line and follow it from the primary reservoir to the head describing everything you see. It would really help with the troubleshooting. I've tried finding pictures online but I really don't have anything to go off of.

Your damper should look like this by the way.
http://www.inks-factory.com/product.php?id_product=860

Robert Carter

In my experience an error relating to the pump usually means that the pump has timed out. When the pump is told by the printer to turn on, the pump only activates a certain number of times before timing out. This would mean that the pump could not get enough ink to its desired location within a certain amount of time or number of pumps. You need to find what is restricting the pump from working correctly. My first guess would be air. Disconnect the lines associated with the black channel and pull ink through them with a syringe until no more air is coming out. You need to get as much of the air out as possible for the pumps to work properly. Besides air it could be a filter that is clogged restricting the inks ability to flow or a crack in the ink line. A crack would show with an obvious leak. Can you describe the ink system please. Just pick an ink line and follow it from the primary reservoir to the head describing everything you see. It would really help with the troubleshooting. I've tried finding pictures online but I really don't have anything to go off of.

Your damper should look like this by the way.
http://www.inks-factory.com/product.php?id_product=860
My Toucan isn't a LT and I can't find a place anywhere on the heads where that damper could be. I figured out that this mutoh take Nova Spectra heads. I replaced two filters on the black line the one on the carriage was completely blocked and caused the line to burst.

gregwallace

So your printer has subtanks right? Was it a capsule filter and an inline filter? Does your printer use air pressure to purge and have a negative air pressure line?

gregwallace

Also does your machine automatically wipe or do you have to manually wipe the heads after a purge? Regarding your other thread, if your printer uses positive air pressure applied at the subtanks to purge, then you should be able to see ink weeping from the heads as you run a purge. If there is air in the line you will be able to see that too.

Robert Carter

Also does your machine automatically wipe or do you have to manually wipe the heads after a purge? Regarding your other thread, if your printer uses positive air pressure applied at the subtanks to purge, then you should be able to see ink weeping from the heads as you run a purge. If there is air in the line you will be able to see that too.
Yes Sir. When the pump tries to pump black ink into the sub tank, the sub tank has some kind off back pressure that won't allow in to go in. if I take the hose off of the top ofd the tank, air pressure releases.

gregwallace

so when you take the hose off of the top of the tank is air blowing out. It should not be. There should be a regulator that would only allow positive air to push into the subtank when you are purging. This air is what forces the ink out of the heads. There should be a solenoid to regulate whether positive or negative air pressure is being fed into that line. Negative pressure at all time unless you purge. Remove the same line for a working color. This should reveal to you what the normal is. Then swap parts from the working channel to the black channel until you find the problem.

Robert Carter

so when you take the hose off of the top of the tank is air blowing out. It should not be. There should be a regulator that would only allow positive air to push into the subtank when you are purging. This air is what forces the ink out of the heads. There should be a solenoid to regulate whether positive or negative air pressure is being fed into that line. Negative pressure at all time unless you purge. Remove the same line for a working color. This should reveal to you what the normal is. Then swap parts from the working channel to the black channel until you find the problem.
there is a second hose going into the sub tank and when I pull it offf, it allows the ink to go into the tank, but the ink just runs out through the head. I unplugged the machine over night. I will plug it back in now and see what happens.

gregwallace

A second air hose right? Sounds to me like you have one for negative pressure and one for positive pressure(purging). Trace both of those lines to their end opposite the subtanks and tell me what they are attached to. If the line you removed was the negative pressure line then ink would weep from the heads as long as this line is removed. It would not weep anywhere near as fast as when you are running a purge but some ink would still fall from the heads as there would be no negative pressure to hold the ink in the subtanks. Is there any way you can take a picture of the subtank and the carriage assembly for me?

Robert Carter

A second air hose right? Sounds to me like you have one for negative pressure and one for positive pressure(purging). Trace both of those lines to their end opposite the subtanks and tell me what they are attached to. If the line you removed was the negative pressure line then ink would weep from the heads as long as this line is removed. It would not weep anywhere near as fast as when you are running a purge but some ink would still fall from the heads as there would be no negative pressure to hold the ink in the subtanks. Is there any way you can take a picture of the subtank and the carriage assembly for me?
I will get you the pics asap. I traced the lines back to a cellanoid and replaced it and the pressure thing seems to be acting ok. now I keep getting the K 144 ink pump code. I was getting that code before on all of the colors and after a few restarts, they would prime and would start working. but the black won't seem to prime.