• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...
I don't have an installer, trainer, or tech so I am learning this new equipment all on my own. Yay!

My shop set up is: Adobe for design, Mimaki UCJV300-160 for printing, and a new Summa S3 TC160 for cutting.

I've used the Mimakis for about 4 years now and have done most of my cutting with them, but as I am growing in production, I am trying to adjust my workflow by having a separate cutter that can free up my Mimakis for more printing.

I know that I need to add registration marks to my design in Illustrator, but I have never done so before as the Mimaki RIP software does that for me. I have learned from reading other threads that Rasterlink6+ is Mimaki only and I am aware that I will be using my UCJVs for print-only for jobs that will be transferred to the Summa.

I am familiar with spot colors and cutcontours. I get the impression that with the Summa, my spot colors do not need specific names.

I have a list of file types that I can use but I am only familiar with the .prn type.

I have the GoSign Illustrator Plug-In but the included template just has named layers with no other elements to help me make my own marks.

I have my Summa installed and am able to do inclusive functions like test cuts and confidence cuts I just need a point to the next direction so that I can start doing actual jobs.

What kind of registration marks do I need to add? Like, how do they look/ function.

What file type is best? How do they function differently from each other?

Any additional advice is appreciated.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Edit/check the GoSign "Import" function. You can see what it's looking for as "regmarks".
You can also change it to whatever you like.

Also I agree, Summa has decent videos on youtube. Just spend an hour and you will probably collect a lot of good information.

So I've spent the day watching a ton of videos and I have a new question...

I have individual laptops for each of my equipment as operating stations and all of the design work is done on a central desktop. Videos I have watched have all instructed to either "Publish as PDF" to print or "Send to GoSign" for cutting. Since I do not have the control software of GoSign on the desktop, what is the best way to save the working file so that I can open it on the Summa's laptop?

Ryze Signs

Please tell me you at least have the desktop set up with a shared network drive that all the computers can access.

You need to find out what file types can be exported and imported from the different software you use then test them out to see which one works best.

We use dxf (digital exchange file) exclusively for transferring to vcarve(router), SDS(channel bender), cypcut(fiber laser), and lightburn (CO2 laser). It seems to be the most universal. The downside is it is a unit less file type so the scale can get messed up if your import and export settings aren't consistent with each software program.

SVG or scalable vector graphic is another common one but isn't as universally supported as dxf.

Dwg or AutoCAD drawing file is another possibility.

PDF is pretty well supported, but not great because it's main purpose is to try and protect documents from being edited.

Do you have a good reason for a laptop for each machine? If your equipment is in the same room I don't see the need. Our plotter and printer, and lasers are all attached to the network. Print and cut files are handled by one computer that runs the software for them.

Last edited:
We do have a network server but that is fairly new.

The individual work stations is to divide workflow tasks among team members.

We also have a laser and a whole dtf/dtg department with a printer and shaker/dryer as well as an embroidery department with multiple machines along with a number of other general paper and label printers.

Okay, so if I export as a dxf (or other file) Can I import that file into Summa Control Center instead of GoSign? or do I *have* to use GoSign since I am using Illustrator?

Thanks for the info. I am trying to understand as much as I can before using the cutter as trial and error can get costly.

jerry369

Videos I have watched have all instructed to either "Publish as PDF" to print or "Send to GoSign" for cutting. Since I do not have the control software of GoSign on the desktop, what is the best way to save the working file so that I can open it on the Summa's laptop?

The "Send to GoSign" command is only useful if GoSign is installed on the same PC where Illustrator is located. In this case the Plug-in saves the current job in a PDF format file named Import.pdf in the specific foder "Documents->Summa GoSgn->Direct mode" and automatically executes GoSign and import it (through the Action: "Direct import").

If GoSign is not on your PC together with Illustrator, you must save your job in PDF format (you can also use the "Publish to PDF" command) and then import the document into GoSign using the Action: "Import file"

Just an update…

My set up may be complicated but it is now working smoothly.

While all the videos I could find where about Flexi or CorelDraw and nothing about RasterLink and very little about Illustrator, I have figured out my workflow.

On the designing desktop, I have the GoSign plug-in for Illustrator and use the included template and the auto creation of register marks it provides. Since my cutter is the S3 Cam version, I am using the Cam registrations.

I am then saving my work file with all layers visible as EPS files to be read by Rasterlink6+ and printed on my UCJVs : print only.

I am also saving the same work file with the “Print Data” layer visibility turned off as PDFs for the Summa to read and cut.

We are server based so these files are all being saved under a “Summa” folder on that server.

Instead of using the “Send to GoSign” feature, our cut jobs are imported from the server folder into the GoSign control software that is installed on the Laptop specific to the Summa.

I am no longer using “Spot Colors” for cut contours specifically as the template has swatches saved, which is nice.

The way that the register marks are read is different from what I am use to but we’ve been running successful jobs for just a day now and I am already very pleased with the Summa.

Even with the added step of having to move material rolls from printer to cutter, the overall job is faster than the UCJV printing and cutting alone.

Noted that I still have a good bit of fine tuning I want to do to the Summa settings, and I am now recreating old job files to work under the new workflow but I am impressed for sure.

I have a feeling that I will still need the cut feature of my UCJVs for large jobs considering the tile feature of RL6+ auto panels large images that I don’t have to do in Illustrator myself. I am also working out how to auto nest jobs in Illustrator which I relied on through RL6+.

Still open to further tips, tricks and nonsense.

Thanks