• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

newly painted

jzorn

How long should you wait before installing vinyl on a newly painted vehicle? I've seen this before but I can't find the answer.
Thanks

S'N'S

I do vehicles that have been repaired and painted(2pac paint) all the time, if it's been oven baked...I do next day. NEVER had a problem. Don't listen to all the "out gassing crap" ...unless it's only cured out it the sun. If cured in the sun and it's been really hot I'd do within a week.
If it's been a DYI paint job, give no guarantee at all as you don't know how well the jobs been done....who did the job?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Personally, I'd say your best bet would be to ask the shop what paint they used (the specifics) and find out what the manufacturer says.
If you don't wait as long as the manufacturer suggests, you're not going to have a leg to stand on if something fails. I'm not saying it will, I'm just saying you'll be on the hook- not only for the work you did, but for the paint/clear coat/etc. if it gets damaged, too.

Billct2

I'd have the customer ask the paint shop, let them make the call, take the responsibility.
But I know I have painted vehicles that had just rolled out of the booth with no issues.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I've done them as soon as same day per the customer demand, however I try to inform customers that 1 week is a good minimum. I have had no problems when waiting a week, but I HAVE had problems with next-day installs outgassing and ruining the vinyls.

SignosaurusRex

Regular non-reflective vinyl will breath and allow off-gassing. Reflective vinyls will not, and will trap gasses that will create a multitude of bubbles/blisters in the vinyl. Each manufacturer has a basic "Rule of thumb" Temperature and Time" for "out-gassing" before vinyls should be installed. CYA (Cover Your Arse).