• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nissan NV - What do you use as a baseline?

idsignsil

We have a NV 200 to do next week. I told the customer that we would do our best. Step back as far as you can and eyeball it. The bottom of the doors are straight.

DesireeM

We always use the wheel well line for line up because no matter what, the wheel wells are at the same level. If the ground isn't level or the suspension isn't even at least the wheel wells are a constant.

jfiscus

Rap Master
depends where you're putting stuff. tape it up and stand back like everything else. if it aint right then adjust and look again.
Also, not sure if your customers are "picky" (crazy would be ab better word), but we have a couple that like things to be aligned just the reverse, or exact measurements off of odd things. But you should already know which customers to watch out for...

DesireeM

depends where you're putting stuff. tape it up and stand back like everything else. if it aint right then adjust and look again.
Also, not sure if your customers are "picky" (crazy would be ab better word), but we have a couple that like things to be aligned just the reverse, or exact measurements off of odd things. But you should already know which customers to watch out for...

Just me but I've always found the "Stand back and eye it out" technique to be risky because like I said in my last post...if the ground you are standing on or the vehicle is parked on isn't level you're screwed.... If you use vehicle lines to line up then you can always argue that point. If you use the ground, your argument then becomes.. "well it was straight in our shop..."

On a side note....always assume the customer is crazy. They usually don't show it until it's too late.

shoresigns

Just me but I've always found the "Stand back and eye it out" technique to be risky because like I said in my last post...if the ground you are standing on or the vehicle is parked on isn't level you're screwed.... If you use vehicle lines to line up then you can always argue that point. If you use the ground, your argument then becomes.. "well it was straight in our shop..."

On a side note....always assume the customer is crazy. They usually don't show it until it's too late.

Measure it to be parallel with the lines on the vehicle, or eyeball it somewhere in between the lines if the vehicle has too many angles. That's the best you can do I think - maybe tape it up on the vehicle and confirm with the customer before they leave you to it.

I don't see how the ground being level has anything to do with vehicle graphics - you would never use a level on vehicle installs.

J Hill Designs

yes, when you stand back to visually confirm placement, you want to see how it flows with the body lines, not with the ground.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Measure it to be parallel with the lines on the vehicle, or eyeball it somewhere in between the lines if the vehicle has too many angles. That's the best you can do I think - maybe tape it up on the vehicle and confirm with the customer before they leave you to it.

I don't see how the ground being level has anything to do with vehicle graphics - you would never use a level on vehicle installs.

Sometimes, you just can't find a straight line. I've use a laser level after establishing what I think looks right- just to make sure I keep it consistent. Worked every time.

gabagoo

The problem with both those vehicles is that if you line it up with the lower baseline about middle of the truck, it looks crooked and the same for the top. I line it up with the lower then I raise the cockeyed side a bit and it always seems to be OK. I have done about 5 of them and have not had any problems with customers.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.

Did a semi once, and lined it up with the bottom of the door- which was a wonderful, straight line, and looked right. The customer ******* because the graphic didn't follow the contour line that came from just behind the window and then ran at about a 10 degree downward slope from the window frame towards the front of the door.
It looked ridiculous, but we convinced him he had to pay for removal and replacement of the first one since he was the one who insisted he didn't need a proof.

Signsforwhile

Actually working on two. First one rolled out and used the bottom of the doors as a base line and worked up from there. The first one is done and in the parking lot next to a car. Since you can't see the graphics on the bottom half the letters in the recessed panel look friggin ridiculous, but once you see the whole thing as one it looks alright....

Doesn't anyone at any of these companies consider the fact that these things will be level! I mean the guy at Ford had to be like "hey lets slope the top line on the van but keep all the other ones exactly the same on the e-series!"