• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nix Print vs i1 Pro Color Management/Profiling

Goatshaver

I'm still thinking about getting some kind of color management when I get my Mimaki UV printer in. I've only minimally dealt with i1 Pro but that was in a sheet-fed offset environment and that was years ago and I've forgotten all the things I had to do with profiling so I'm pretty much starting from ground zero on this.

I also saw this other color management company that makes tool called Nix, not sure if there are other companies that make color profiling equipment.
Does NIX equipment handle making output profiles?
And what device would be best to use for profiling from each company? I'm guessing the i1 Publish Pro from Xrite and Nix I'm not even sure of since I'm just hearing about them.

bteifeld

Substratia Consulting,Printing,Ergosoft Reseller
Which RIP software are you using to control your printers?

The color management equipment you can use depends to a great extent on
what printer control software(a RIP) that you use.

Last edited:

Goatshaver

Which RIP software are you using to control your printers?

The color management equipment you can use depends to a great extent on
what printer control software(a RIP) that you use.
Initially I'll be using Rasterlink to learn the machine but my production work I use Onyx. (I'm getting a UCJV330 and it's not on the list of supported printers yet but I'm sure it'll be very soon, I think someone said it's being tested currently) Hopefully when the new version of Onyx drops it will be included.

Last edited:

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I have a nix pro. It scans the colors but still have an issue of glare whenever you scan it. You can get close to the color, but you still cant get the exact match

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
Well I just ordered another i1 Publish pro 3 and they are two to three weeks out for shipping them, Everyone I checked with is out of stock on them so I ordered straight from X-Rite.

My original one has started making really messed up scans that are not even close to the color.. X-Rite said it may need a calibration or the optic eye has gone bad, We will see what has happened to it.

Neil

I'm still using my Gretag Macbeth i1 Pro and the old i1 Match software.
It's a great combination as long as your printing software can do ink restrictions and a good linearization before using i1 Match to do the .icc.
Takes me I'd say about 20 minutes to read 2033 patches.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
Initially I'll be using Rasterlink to learn the machine but my production work I use Onyx. (I'm getting a UCJV330 and it's not on the list of supported printers yet but I'm sure it'll be very soon, I think someone said it's being tested currently) Hopefully when the new version of Onyx drops it will be included.
I am running hp 360 and 365 with onyx 19.5 and the built in i1s, I have had issues doing the advanced calibration on 19, and am hoping to find time to pick it up when I get 22

netsol

go with the xrite
they are one of the giants of the industry
do you use flexi? i could loan you an i1 pro so you can get comfortable with it

Goatshaver

go with the xrite
they are one of the giants of the industry
do you use flexi? i could loan you an i1 pro so you can get comfortable with it
That is who I probably go with since I have some experience using their software from the offset print world. (Although it has been about 8yrs since I've used one.)
I don't use Flexi, I just upgraded to Onyx 22.5 and will get the v24 update when that releases and it'll have drivers for my UCJV330 that's coming in next week.