• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No more renting, bought a property for our new shop!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
As I mentioned on the "show your shop" thread, we bought a property.

I am dead tired..... couple of pics. One inside the main showroom, another inside the main shop.

Closed 9 days ago. Been working every minute not at the shop at the new location. Massive amount of cleanup and work to do there. You can sort of see the arch beams which will become part of a new curved front wall of a small room being setup for the Mimaki. The workshop is in progress as well. Already burned through one full tank of propane in the forklift, emptied a 12 yard rollback 4 times, and run nearly 1000 ft of sheilded cat 6. Also at the far left in the main showroom, installed double 36" x 96" doors into the workshop. I am sore from head to toe.

Attachments

• IMG_2504a.jpg
    IMG_2504a.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2508a.jpg
    IMG_2508a.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 134

Farmboy

Expect the unexpected! Also, get in touch with your local code officer and have then walk through before you get to crazy. Worse thing is being told that you didn't build something to code and have to redo it. Depending on where you are, your electric and plumbing might have to be done by someone who is licensed. Expect all your cost to be at least Doubled! Good Luck.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Fortunatley the regulations in the small city we are in allow for the owner of a property to do any work themselves. If we were renting, then we would have to have a licensed contractor to do anything and if we want to use an outside contractor for anything anyways they must be licensed to do business in the city. The inspector does like to come look at work being done though, both while in progress and near completion just to be sure things are being done correct and safe. The place is wired for mad power, 600 AMP service with outlets everywhere, all in metal conduit. I do have to run 3 240v lines though, 2 for the battery backups, and running one to the kitchen so we can put a stove/oven in.

In total there is about 21,500 sf of space. The main showroom/production building is currently about 2800sf with a back attic area upstairs that is roughed in and wired but still needs ceiling, flooring, and drywall which would add another 1000sf up there. It has 3 air units, two 2.5 ton for the main open showroom and a 4 ton which handles the office area downstairs and upstairs. The attached main shop is about 5000sf, this building is massivley insulated and currently has 3 78,000 btu gas heaters hanging in there as well as a 6 foot exhaust fan, 1 grade level door that is 20ft wide x 15ft high and a loading dock. Then there is a raw warehouse building which is about 9600sf, another long narrow building about 80ft x 18ft, plus a couple of small sheds.

We also own an ambulance service and will ultimatley be moving the HQ for that over as well. Going to finish out a large part of the warehouse building as office space for that.

The sheer amount of lumber that was left behind by the old millwork is staggering. Easily 10 tons of it. Probably 30 new doors both interior and exterior, 40 or so new windows, a few hundred screens, 50 or so big custom laminated arch beams, and more.... Thats been the bulks of the work so far is simply moving all the stuff over to the back of the big warehouse building.

Costs are already adding up though.... needs some roof work which a contractor quoted about 5k. The asphalt needs about 5k worth of work. The exterior of the building needs about 5k worth of work. Not going to tackle the roof myself though. Some things like the asphalt are not critical and can be done later and a bit more slowly once we get moved in and stop the financial hemmoraging.

Future proofing the network cabling by going with shielded cat 6. Man that stuff is chunky! About as thick as RG6 coax.... Be nice to assure 10g network connections though. Also going to install the 2 servers, the SAN's, all phone and network equipment in a central network closet. The 2 primary design workstations will get direct attached to the SAN via fiber optic cables I still need to run. All computers will currently run on gigabit ethernet through a 24 port switch. The internet access and wireless are controlled through a Cisco SA-520 router which has an active web filtering subscription and nice firewall and VPN abilities to allow remote access and to keep the employees for surfing for things they should not be.... :)

Also couple more shots. Aerial view and view of the front.

Attachments

• 818.jpg
    818.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 148
  • P1000441a.jpg
    P1000441a.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 120

Craig Sjoquist

Congratulations indeed.
This looks like a awesome dream storefronts & shops for ya, I can imagine the excitement having 2 on going businesses both require clean space & shop space plus services for each.
This is just perfect, great place to paint & letter the roofs, instant land mark.
Ya people are so lucky this day age when dreaming big can really turn big with the right resources available.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Had to move quick on it to make it happen. Just got an appraisal, over 200k more than what we paid! :rock-n-roll:

Been working my b(g)utt off trying to get it ready to move in on top of keeping the shop going at the current location. Easily doing 16-20 hours days right now. Dead tired, stressed, overwhelmed all the time. Don't cross me right now.... lol.

Gerber supplies shelf up, Mimaki room in progress... plus a million other things in progress. Couple of crappy cell pics update.

Attachments

• downsized_1012121151.jpg
    downsized_1012121151.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 114
  • downsized_1012121151a.jpg
    downsized_1012121151a.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 103

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations! Love the curved beams. Please keep adding photos as you progress. I can't wait to see the finished layout.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
No pictures tonight. Took some today but I'm dead tired. I'll post some updated pics in the next couple of days. Did the big move today on all the equipment, computers, servers, etc. So far got the printers powered back up, the 2 big 6000va battery backups in the rack and hooked into their 240v inputs, 32 or so cat6 ports punched down on the patch panel, fiber ran to the 2 desktops that direct attach to the SAN, the 3 SAN shelves in the rack, the Extreme Summit switch racked, etc, etc. Still a lot to do tomorrow. Need to reconfigure DNS for the new static IP,s and get the servers up and running, hook up a dozen desktops, certify a ton more network drops......

The Mimaki does looks kickass in its own custom room. :) I'll have to make a post on the custom exhaust I did just for its room, it totally removes the rooms entire air volume every 60 seconds. Not sure that I'll have us ready for production by Monday morning though. Probably going to have to push that back a day or two which blows. We have multiple jobs getting backed up already but fortunately the customers are very loyal to us and are being patient and understanding. Was very very nice to be able back a 26' box truck completely inside for unloading!