• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No Pantone But Client Wants "Color Match" - what does your shop do?

DarkerKat

design & such
Pretty typical scenario, client comes in for a sign and requests color matching. All of our shops for the job list that the client must provide pantone color prior to production, but client and PM ignore the note until it is half-way through production, waiting to be painted. Client has no pantones/doesn't know what pantones are. Sends us hex codes repeatedly, then reaches out to billboard companies they worked with in the past to find out what they used (two companies = two different CMYK builds) We now have two different hex codes and multiple cmyk builds for a single color that we need to paint... Client still wants color the color to "match" What does your shop do in this situation?

More context:
Our method if client wants color matching (not saying it is the right way)
- We request pantone numbers to match print/paint to, not because we're using actual Pantone inks, but because if you have a pantone book*, and I have a pantone book* there is a good chance we're looking a very similar colors. (*if those pantone books are in decent shape / not decades old)

- If client doesn't have a pantone code, and we are printing, we offer one these options:
- we will use a color code from any standard paint system (MP, SW, BJM, AN), with a disclaimer that some paint colors will not print well (neons/pastels etc)
- we will use the CMYK build in their provided files, but NOT guarantee a color match
- we ask for a physical sample of their color (business card, flyer, anything that has a color they are happy with) match the physical sample to pantone, then print to match that pantone (with a disclaimer)
- we let the client choose a PMS color (they come in person and borrow a pantone book to choose) and use that moving forward for all that client's jobs
- we choose a PMS color (converting from CMYK/RGB to pantone) and use that moving forward for all that client's jobs - with the disclaimer that it may not color match previously produced items

- If client doesn't have a pantone code, and we are painting, we offer one these options:
- we will use a color code from any other standard paint system (MP, SW, BJM) - we use Azko Nobel paint
- we ask for a physical sample of their color (business card, flyer, anything that has a color they are happy with) match the physical sample to pantone, then paint to match that pantone (with a disclaimer)
- we let the client choose a PMS color (they come in person and borrow a pantone book to choose) and use that moving forward for all that client's jobs
- we choose a PMS color (converting from CMYK/RGB to pantone) and use that moving forward for all that client's jobs - with the disclaimer that it may not color match previously produced items

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Pretty much the same as you, but absolutely no production until samples are approved, either (if you included that, I missed it).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Years ago, we would ask for a hard copy from them. That way, there is no confusing what color is needed as it is facilitated by the client.

All these do's & don't's only add to the confusion and looks like smoking mirrors, especially to someone who doesn't understand the lingo.

petepaz

we always get a target color, whether that is closest pms color (picked by customer) or they give us a swatch to match. then we will make a couple sample color swatches for them to pic from.
first go around will be figured in the cost but each additional will cost extra

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We do spray outs if we feel the customer won't be happy with close enough and that's pretty rare.
Sounds like they already have inconsistencies since they gave you 2 different hex values which would lead me believe that they aren't breaking out a spectro to check your work. With that being said, I roll with these and don't get myself or production stuck in the mud over this sort of thing. Get close and they won't know

heyskull

I have a current client that I am doing a large job for. His logo has a specific pink pantone colour. He insisted that it had to be a perfect match. So I went over to his premises with some good colour matched solid vinyl colours and six variations of the colour printed from my Roland RF-640. When I arrived I insisted to see what he was using as packaging prints, work wear and on his company truck. Let's just say that nothing matched. In fact the truck which had curtain sides was completely a different shade on the front and rear to the sides. What he thought was his colour was nothing like it. After explaining that to colour match the acrylic letters was not possible and that to get a perfect match would mean printing, laminating and applying colour matched media he agreed on a close match self coloured material applied. Not so fussy when the price difference was made clear.

SC

rcali

When I was a finisher and did not have a defined color to match, I would be given a physical sample of the color and then spend hours or days mixing it to the closest match, then the graphics department would match it with a spectrophotometer.

I loved color matching but its a lot of work. We had the same sort of requirements as you but its pretty common for them to be ignored. When I did have an actual pantone to match in lacquer, it was actually really frustrating, because inks and dyes are not the same systems and it was very hard on some pantones to even come close to a paint match.

I would say, that with the provided cmyk values, maybe you could print those two colors and the range of the tones in between them, have those be chosen from and then do a paint match to the picked print color?

visual800

weve had this discussion before. Customers are adamant about PMS colors BUT their business cards and other printed items dont 100% match. I tell them I can come close as possible different sheens of paint offer different variations of color. Gloss will be deeper color satin will not be as deep. I dont freak out over a 100% color match

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
I have never once promised a customer a color match even after printing a swatch for review. Everyone sees color differently.

On every invoice or estimate, I put the following disclaimer: We calibrate our printers on a regular basis, however, we can not guarantee an exact color match under any circumstances.

If the customer has an issue or concern, I tell them straight up to go elsewhere. I'm super busy as it is (I've really trying hard to be semi-retired) and I just don't need that aggravation.

Lucky Sky

We use a NIX spectrometer. (very portable so I can take it to the sign) we print about a dozen color swatches variations and ask the customer to select. We also, don't promise an exact match. Most are ok with that event the college brand specs folks.

citysignshop

If you're trying to educate the client, even after they've chosen a colour that 'matches' their sample, walk them thru your fluorescent lit office, then the sodium lit shop, to the LED lit print room, outside into sunlight. After they've seen the multiple different colours, ask them where they expect the truck or sign or poster will be viewed?.....either try to match to that environment, or point to the caveat that most of us use...'colour match not guaranteed'. ( every gotten your car back from the body shop? ....yeah, and they have million-dollar paint systems, but it STILL depends on the person holding the gun!) ;-b)

Gene@mpls

Back in a past lifetime when I was restoring/repairing Corvettes [C2-C3, some C4s] and a few exotics, a customer drove in with a red Pantera and Insisted that the color match had to be exact. I had looked quickly at the car and walked over to it and at one point on the car there were 3 different red meeting- asked him which he wanted us
to match. Ended the conversation quickly. He had pealed out from a parking spot in the dark and rear ended a parked car- poked out the light switch rocker with his finger.
If you live to be old enough you have a lot of experiences.