• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No Parking sign

Shadowglen

OK this is for my own Space Above our store we have 2 apartments. We have parking spots in our alley one for each apartment and one for me. As of late mostly due to a new computer sales/ repair shop moving in with an alley entrance we are having more and more people parking in our spots. My renters get mad I get mad, and the sign I had up was bent and disfigured some jack hole. Anyway I want the new sign to get the message across that YOU SHOULD NOT PARK HERE! so this is what I have designed. I have been out of the game for years so low blows and gut shots are welcome on my design skills and selected verbiage.

This is on 24" x 24 " aluminum blank. It may be to wordy and cluttered.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• drs no parking.jpg
    drs no parking.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 168

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think that sparkling verbiage is gonna get you anywhere.

Get to the point and cut the cute crap.

Also, tell them ...... 'ALL VIOLATORS WILL BE TICKETED OR TOWED'.

You can't always get the people to pay for the tow charges, but when a car is ticketed, the car carries the fine, not you.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Usually on a sign like this, there are requirements like letter height, code references and exact copy requirements. I would ask the city what those requirements are, or if you do tow a car without the correct legal sign, you may be responsible for the cost of a towed car and other costs incurred.

2B

I don't think that sparkling verbiage is gonna get you anywhere.

Get to the point and cut the cute crap.

Also, tell them ...... 'ALL VIOLATORS WILL BE TICKETED OR TOWED'.

You can't always get the people to pay for the tow charges, but when a car is ticketed, the car carries the fine, not you.

:goodpost:

this type of sign is not meant to be clever, be forceful and direct!

401Graphics

I think legally if you were to really tow cars away you have to have the towing company's name and number on the sign.

I have "parking for this building only, all other will be towed" signs in my windows. Its totally invalid since its a public street, but 98% of the time people obey the signs, the other 2% either dont care, or just dont see the signs. The police are also aware of the signs and they dont care they are up.

Mosh

I have 9 no parking signs in my lot. NO PARKING 6" letteres, Violators will be towed at vehicle owners expense in 1". I 6 years of cutting off the parking had to only tow three cars. They were all REAL HAPPY and told me there were going to sue me...nothing ever happened.

The reason I cut the parking off is, my shop is next to a movie theater and at night people would park there. No problem at night, until I had a guy run into my building and knock a bunch of my bricks off. Then his insurance tryed to get me to pay for the damage to his car. My lawey had a hay-day with him. I did have to pay, but never got a cent for my damage. SO now no one parks in my lot anytime, except me!

Shadowglen

That Bumper must have been made of bacon. @ Gino our local police will not ticket a car on private property. I have been told by the local P.D.that if it is my lot it is my problem. My last sign said you will be towed at your expense. I had three cars towed in 7 years and never saw them again. It is common practice here that the towing company tower's the car to their lot and the owner has to pay to get it out. @ Rick good point I will check with the city on the requirements (if any), but I am willing to bet they are non existent in this town.OK I will tweak on the sign and check the legalities. Thanks all.

Shadowglen

:thumb:Great Idea Wayne. I just worry that flat tires in snow would keep them parked in my lot longer hahaha. but I like the getting to the point bit.

Billct2

I would call the cops and ask them what the requirement is for this sign.
It's not so much about the design, but what has to be on it to make it enforceable.
Here it has to have the name of the towing company & their phone number.
Then make it look like a municipal sign, the more official looking the better.

Jillbeans

Please put a period on Dr. or else spell it out.
(assuming that it is for a Doctor?)
Use a simple sans serif font such as arroyo.
Plain black on white will have more effect than a plethora of colors.
Love....Jill
Here's a black and white 24"x36" I did the other day.

Attachments

• 0108131036.jpg
    0108131036.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 123

Jackpine

I have signs on my property in a private parking lot, 12"x18" stating Private Parking VIOLATORS WILL BE TICKETED OR TOWED and the state code. It is a $186.00 ticket. I don't have them towed. I like to see their stupid reaction.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That Bumper must have been made of bacon. @ Gino our local police will not ticket a car on private property. I have been told by the local P.D.that if it is my lot it is my problem. My last sign said you will be towed at your expense. I had three cars towed in 7 years and never saw them again. It is common practice here that the towing company tower's the car to their lot and the owner has to pay to get it out. @ Rick good point I will check with the city on the requirements (if any), but I am willing to bet they are non existent in this town.OK I will tweak on the sign and check the legalities. Thanks all.

You're correct in that they won't ticket a vehicle on your private lot, UNLESS you have it posted.

Like Jack, I enjoy watching on my cameras the people getting into their cars and then getting back out to take the ticket off the windshield.

The funny part is..... the signs are on my neighbor's building about no parking or being ticketed or towed, but it's my parking lot.

The fool can't have anyone ticketed or towed on my property, so when my people [customers or neighbors] park there, I do nothing and it gets him so burned up, it's hilarious. When his patrons park there, I call the cops and usually within 15 minutes they ticket the cars.

Yeah, if it's a private lot, they can't do anything until it's posted, then they can act by giving out tickets. You have a squabble on your private lot and no one is getting hurt, then again, they can't do anything. It's a civil problem. Ya need lawyers for that sh!t.........:frustrated:

Shadowglen

Thanks for the further advice all. @ Jill our company Name is DRS Enterprises (you can all skip this part or learn a little more about me) :Big Laugh so no periods have ever been used. 17 years ago we purchased a small rubber stamp manufacturing business and we also distributed advertising promotional products ie pens, mugs, golf balls yada yada,and so on. The business name was "Dakota Rubber Stamp" We branched out and added a sign business (that we later sold). At that time the Bulk of our Business was in the signs and promotional products. Since the Dakota Rubber Stamp name seemed limiting to what we did, but was still well known name in the area we kept it but also registered "DRS Enterprises". We later added laser engraving, a custom framing and matting business (Freestyle Framing) and as of the last few months have been wading back into the sign business. OK anyway :rolleyes: TMI? Maybe, but now you know a little more about me.

The city has a sign in front of our business on the street that is posted NO PARKING between 8am and 5pm but they will not enforce it. We have people that have been parked there for days at a time and all of the local businesses can call the police and they will either say "we will get someone down there, no one shows or they will say there are no available officers at the time. No Joke! You would have to live in Dickinson, ND to get it. so I can guarantee no mater what my signs said there would be no ticketing of anything.

John Butto

So from 8:46pm till 2:18pm today you could have made your #100 signs and tried them out. It is North Dakota people, they move there to get away from rules, like 2" letters in black with no color and notify the city on permits etc. It is also a oil boom state with a lot of jobs.

Shadowglen

Yes John We are smack dab in the Bakken and while the jobs are plentiful the housing is scarce. That is the part they fail to mention to all of the people flocking here. Not sure what the rest of your rant is about but it does seem to be a little condescending.

John Butto

I do not mean to be condescending about where you live or towards you, but you asked for help on the layout not the laws of the area and the whole yadayada. Everyone talks about making money, not getting paid to take a walk, get money upfront, don't do it you need to ask for more money. Time is Money! So I say all the time to read and decide to do what you want to do, make some signs and if they don't work, make some with less wording like I gave you a suggestion to at 8;46pm yesterday.