• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not what I always thought...........................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have another sign shop wanting us to do some work for them. They said, they've done quite a few of these and everyone else puts the vinyl on the window seams. We never put it on the black rubbery/plastic part, as it usually doesn't hold very long.

Opinions or input either way would be appreciated. They said they'll think about it. No big deal, I just thought that was kinda industry standard.

attachment.php

:thankyou: Gino

Attachments

• window or not.jpg
    window or not.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 219

Baz

You're right. It doesn't stay on very well.

I always cut away my prints when installed over rubber trim.

Edit to add: Funny thing. I have recently noticed a vehicle with marked trim. And i knew which shop had done the work and know they use 3M products.
Told myself they probably used Primer94 to increase adhesion.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We actually put it on all the time, when it has to match an existing bus with it on the trim... which happens to be most of the time unfortunately.
We use 3M 180c and it does hold up well. We tried Avery and a couple other wrap vinyls a couple times and they all fell off really quickly. Use some Primer 94 if you're worried.
NOTE: we did NOT design the layout of the text on these vehicles.

Attachments

• 131.jpg
    131.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 127
  • AObHLOTAxdGVL06PnsSKq1h5pnmIFGOCXzrtIzudGeSA3g3-LfOGL6-fp_IPAadJI1Ggfu2hukn8HfUlsILc2oQ~.jpg
    AObHLOTAxdGVL06PnsSKq1h5pnmIFGOCXzrtIzudGeSA3g3-LfOGL6-fp_IPAadJI1Ggfu2hukn8HfUlsILc2oQ~.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 107

letterman7

That's what I always thought, too, Gino. But lately there have been paratransit buses running around here with marked rubber trim. I was thinking a primer to it as well, but haven't looked at one closely enough to see how it was done.

AaronSSsignsKC

I would wrap over it, I have done a few old parking spot buses and they have been on over two years and look great. I think it is just a personal thing my advice is if you are going to cut it out sell it that way let the customer know ahead of time what to expect.

T_K

I've never left vinyl on the rubber seams. It won't naturally stick to the stuff. On vehicles with very wide seams, we would adjust the artwork.

The only way I can think of to fix the vinyl to the rubber would be using a bunch of edge sealer. But then you'd probably ruin the rubber at the removal stage.

jfiscus

Rap Master
That designer needs to be fired. Horrible layouts. I bet your installers were throwing fits putting it on.
You wouldn't believe the money those "ad agency" designers rake in to create horrible designs like those either.
We have two in-house designers here and charge nowhere near what those people charge for their layout design... :banghead::banghead:
And btw, those are FAR from the worst layouts we see here. :covereyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good Grief................................

We're not doing it as after they sent this to me, I simply asked, they half followed your request and half didn't do it...... which is it ??

Got a response back,

We have done more then 20 of these and so we understand the issues and so does our client. All we want to do is to complete the van per the artwork I sent you for this location. You would be the most expensive thus far and possibly would go up..

We actually quoted what they said they are willing to pay, so I don't know how we suddenly became the most expensive........ :doh:

Dodged the bullet on this one...................
attachment.php

:ROFLMAO:​

Attachments

• 20160815_103132.jpg
    20160815_103132.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 210

T_K

I'd guess that they wrapped all the rubber trim, and on the left it failed. Or somebody got lazy.

That doesn't look like great quality though.

reQ

I never cover the rubber trim either. I think 3M states that they do not recommend wrapping over it.

Eric H

Some of those wide frames are not rubber they are aluminum. Maybe it's worth checking to see what they are.