• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nothing exciting...some recent installs...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Not sure how many of you have installed stud-mounted letters in aggregate or jagged rock, but it's kind of a huge pain. The aggregate busts off almost as soon as you hit it with the rotary hammer. So there's a whole series of steps you have to go through to accurately drill your holes for the studs.

Kind of the same, but not quite as bad, with the jagged stone. You can't just drill through the pattern because the bit will wander. Lots of patience and a little technique.

Final product isn't mind-blowing, but catching my breath from a kitchen remodel and figured I'd post some pictures.

The 'Concorde' letters just looked pretty. I like the polished look mixed with color.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 01a.jpg
    01a.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 04a.jpg
    04a.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 68

MrSalumi

Looks good Moze! What material did you use for the "Concorde"? As for the drilling on uneven stone, perhaps a jig of some kind would help keep the bit from wondering.. I'm thinking just a 5"x5" metal plate with a guide hole in the middle. You could place it, hold it flat on the tips of the stone that it touched and start the drill.
Anyway, good job!

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Looks good Moze! What material did you use for the "Concorde"? As for the drilling on uneven stone, perhaps a jig of some kind would help keep the bit from wondering.. I'm thinking just a 5"x5" metal plate with a guide hole in the middle. You could place it, hold it flat on the tips of the stone that it touched and start the drill.
Anyway, good job!

Thank you. A jig that would work would be much too involved. It would have to hold the bit exactly in place and not allow any movement side-to-side whatsoever. A piece of thin metal would still allow the bit to wander. A "horizontal drill press" that could be made stationary would be great, but not too convenient obviously.

Good looking work Moze :thumb:

Thank you, Tim!

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Thanks!

The letters were .250" polished stainless steel & painted aluminum.

Z SIGNS

Nice.When we install to uneven stone like that we glue the drilling pattern to a piece 3/4 mdo board.It helps with drift problem

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Thanks everyone.

So when you guys are using MDO or plywood, are you mechanically fastening it to the wall? Seems like it would be a handful if done by yourself (which I would be).

Mosh

Cool installs. I mount my patterns to masonite for uneven installs and just take my time drilling. Then tape some angle/aluminum to the front of the letters to keep them all on the same light plane, or a small peice behind if they can sand-off the wall a bit.

Kaiser

Crossed 3mm double sided tape helps with wandering bits. Ive drilled 45º surfaces with this technique.