• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Oily residue/bands on vinyl banner / HP L360

Blaster

Adam B.
Hey All, Maybe someone has had this issue. When I print gloss vinyl banners, I seem to end up with oily residue on the print. The ink doesn't cure right in these locations and rubs off. It seems to do it in random locations. Its cheap Key Banner Gloss 13oz. Could this be a problem w the material or could it be optimizer leaking somewhere. Or, can this mean my curing temp needs to be raised?

Last edited:

Christian @ 2CT Media

Do you have any images to show what you described. Sounds like you may have "cold" spots across your inpinning unit (curing ramp) if it's consistent.

Blaster

Adam B.
Yes it started out as a consistent band that runs across the print horizontally. It was a heavily covered banner in black. After it was ruined, I crumpled it up and into the dumpster. However, I just pulled it out to take a pic and now the residue is all over it. Maybe raise the curing temp I read?

Attachments

• Oily residue.jpg
    Oily residue.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 174

Christian @ 2CT Media

You don't have to crumple it up and toss it when it happens you can finish the curing with a heat gun. I would try increasing the temp and introducing some interpass delay if you don't want to run a higher pass count

Blaster

Adam B.
You don't have to crumple it up and toss it when it happens you can finish the curing with a heat gun. I would try increasing the temp and introducing some interpass delay if you don't want to run a higher pass count
I know, I've done that once before but I had rubbed it and took off a big chunk of the ink. There wasnt any saving it. So Temp and interpass delay. Will give that a try. I was using the setting that the machine had for that product. In what increments should I raise the temp so as not to cook the vinyl, or is it just trial and error.
Thanks again for your help.

dypinc

tone your black down, thats laying way too much ink

I would assume if he is printing black he would use only 100% device black. Why use anything else unless you want a muddy black look. Probably just needs to find the right combination of passes and heat, which should have been figured out and set in the media preset before making an output profile.

Blaster

Adam B.
you know where assume gets you....looks like heavy, over saturated-other color infused black
Understood. Tech left just now. Curing section was clogged w debris dust etc. Cleaned, will also check and make sure I'm using device black

dypinc

Always afraid to sound too newbie. Can you explain how to set device black in profile?

It is not in the profile. It is a RIP setting that by-passes CM for a specific color and sends what ever color values you want instead to the printer. What RIP?

Last edited:

dypinc

I am most familiar with Colorgate but as I remember Flexi has a replace color tab. Should have a eyedropper to click on the color you want to replace.

Also if you build your file with the black at 100%K only you should have a Pure Primaries (I think that is what Flexi calls it) setting. Not sure if values can be added there.