• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega....grrrrr.....

threeputt

Ok, running Omega 4.0 on Win7 64 bit. Nothing chinzy about my machine either, 3 gig processor, 16 meg ram, super fast graphics card. (gForce GTX 400) etc. First class all the way thru.

But tearing my hair out regarding what should be a simple process, ie: exporting as an .eps file, a raster file (.tif) that has a cutline added to it. Usually just cutlines around lettering or the cutting around an object.

When you hit enter asking to export the file, the first thing Omega does is run the "progress" bar up to "98% done", really quick, then flash the "composer not responding" message.

Grrr......sometimes it'll just stay that way locked up....or it'll take 10 minutes (literally) to export.

It's not just this one file, it's all files. Something is dreadfully wrong!

Any help greatly appreciated.

threeputt

http://www.gspinc.com/default.asp?contentID=56#SPECS

May be driver or program problem with the 64 bit OS.

I have problems running some 32bit programs with my 64 bit OS on my laptop

http://www.gspinc.com/downloads/PDF/software/OMEGA_Requirements_400.pdf

Thanks for the link. Nope got all that stuff covered.

Our older 32bit machine with XP OS is the same.

It's been 15 minutes now and the "wait" thing is still going around. This is not a big file or anything either. Gonna shut it down and try and research this.

Must be a setting in the Gerber Export dialog box somewhere.

Omega users?

threeputt

Send me the file and maybe a screen capture of your Export dialog settings.

Hi Tony,
I've got a call into Gerber Technical services. I'll send you my the screen capture of my settings. It's got to be somewhere in there.

I can also send the file. Thanks for the offer of help.

Stand by.

Charles

threeputt

Eureka....solution!

Ok, call me dumb. Didn't even think about this.

As all of you know (except for me apparently) data transfer, especially large files, is real slow over a network. (we store all files directly to our NAS (network attached storage device).

So come time to process a large file (exporting it as .eps from a raster for example) it has to recall all the data each time. Very slow.

The smarter way (and way, way quicker) is to save it temporarily onto the RAMdisk. Then retrieve it from there in your RIP and bingo! Very quick.

Empty out your RAMdisk every month or so.

Tony Teveris

By RAMDisk I assume you mean a "local" dirve.

Also, with Windows 7 we have found it to be a lot slower over the network. I do know that they rewrote the entire TCP/IP stack to handle IP6 and other features but we have yet to figure out what the hell is going on.