• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega issues with new computer

GVP

Greetings,

We are running, and have been for some time, Omega 2.1.0. We've recently had to change a computer, and now Omega seems to be frequently crashing on that computer. It runs under XP Pro (SP3) and has 4gb RAM installed. Corel and Photoshop all seem to run fine - it's just Omega that appears to have a problem. Any suggestions as to what the issue might be? It previously ran on the old computer under win2K without any difficulties. Not quite sure what to do to track the problem down...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
First thing to check is the configuration setup of the Sentinel Driver for the dongle. It should be set to Yes for the port where the dongle is and No for any others shown. Second thing to check is whether the power saving is turned off for the USB ports. If left on, once the port goes to sleep or goes off and Omega looks for a dongle, it won't find it and will react in various ways which might include what appears to be a crash. I have been told by a tech rep that, in fact, every time one installs even a maintenance upgrade to Omega it can change the Sentinel Driver configuration.

Beyond that, I would look to any program, not the operating system, you've installed since the last time Omega worked reliably that may be causing a conflict.

Daigleb

I am having the same issues with Composer. Crashes (closes with or without an error) when saving and Min/Maximizing. I was wondering where do i go to check and change if the power saving is turned off for the USB ports?
I also have XP 32 (SP3). Photoshop & illustrator run fine.

J Hill Designs

1. In Windows, click on Start > Control Panel (or Start > Settings > Control Panel).
2. Double-click on System, then open the Hardware tab.
3. Click Device Manager.
4. Click the + at Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
5. Right-click USB Root Hub and select Properties.
6. Open the Power Management tab.
7. Clear the checkmark from Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
8. Click OK.
9. Repeat this procedure for the USB 2.0 Hub.

edit: I run Omega (ofc older version: 1.56) and all of my usb root hubs have power save mode on, but omega never ever ever has crashed on me...

Daigleb

thanks for that! i changed all the usb root hub to not go to sleep and its still crashing when saving.
What about the configuration setup of the Sentinel Driver for the dongle? how do i mess with that?

Also i guess i should mention we were running 2.0 then upgraded to 3.0.. but it was crashing for both versions.

thnks

Tony Teveris

With Omega 3.0 at the end of the install it ask you if you want to install PERU (Problem Enhancement Report Utility). You should install this as it MIGHT help report some of these problems.

When Composer crashes and gives you an error message if PERU is installed it is scheduled and gathers a bunch of files and info and emails it to Gerber. You can also attach any files you wish like PLT, SPL, PRM, etc). I do not know how many times we get PERU reports with no PLT file and the user states "I was working on this file and ..."

If Composer is just crashing or closing with no error messages then I would need more info on exactly (details, details) what you are doing. As for older versions of GA or Omega on newer computers well there you are on your own.

Daigleb

Thanks Tony. I found the PERU software and installed it. I sent a problem report with some files (and errors that i saved) hopefully we can get it sorted out really soon. Love Composer and would hate to have to switch over to something else.