• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OMG - I forgot to move the head back to capping station!!!

gabagoo

This is the second time in 5 years I have done this.

Needless to say the heads are soaking for an hour to see if I can get them up and running 100%.

Not sure why such a critical aspect of maintenance on a machine is done while the power is off with no warning of moving the head back.

I have caught myself time after time after cleaning the heads over the years, almost forgeting to swing the head back into the capping station.

Any distraction during this process can result in trouble.

uggg

O_O oh. Have you noticed any issues with printing? I wouldn't be worried so much about the lines clogging, I had to keep my lines w/o ink running through them for 3 days and didn't have any clogging, kept the head soaking. I would personally do a head soak just to be safe on that end.

MikePro

you power-down your printer to scrub your heads? odd, but I guess the "carriage out" mode also allows you to leave it off the capping station indefinately, but i think it beeps at you after extended time. I could be wrong.

just keep soaking and you'll be fine. i've had y-current errors that left my printer "uncapped" for a day and two nights. Overnight soak and then a single swipe with a cleaning solution soaked foam swab (1 side of the swab per head swipe) in the direction of the wiper before doing another 1hr soak and a pair of soft cleanings afterwards I was back in business.

gabagoo

you power-down your printer to scrub your heads? odd, but I guess the "carriage out" mode also allows you to leave it off the capping station indefinately, but i think it beeps at you after extended time. I could be wrong.

just keep soaking and you'll be fine. i've had y-current errors that left my printer "uncapped" for a day and two nights. Overnight soak and then a single swipe with a cleaning solution soaked foam swab (1 side of the swab per head swipe) in the direction of the wiper before doing another 1hr soak and a pair of soft cleanings afterwards I was back in business.

I guess i could leave the power on, but was taught this way. I know when you remove the left side panel the printer starts beeping...maybe thats why. Gonna try doing it with power on from now on.

MikePro

o, you clean your heads from there? I just go into maintenance mode and choose "carriage out". Weekly, I clean the front/sides of the heads over the platen with a piece of scrap underneath (the lack of space keeps me from accidentally scrubbing the nozzles) and once a month I clean the back of the heads by sliding the carriage to the wiper area, one head at a time.
I guess I could just as easily do this from the left side, however.

I rarely, to almost never, take the left side panel off. Too much hassle, but to each his own i guess :)

gabagoo

o, you clean your heads from there? I just go into maintenance mode and choose "carriage out". Weekly, I clean the front/sides of the heads over the platen with a piece of scrap underneath (the lack of space keeps me from accidentally scrubbing the nozzles) and once a month I clean the back of the heads by sliding the carriage to the wiper area, one head at a time.
I guess I could just as easily do this from the left side, however.

I rarely, to almost never, take the left side panel off. Too much hassle, but to each his own i guess :)

well everything is almost back to normal. Cyan seems to have a few blocked nozzles and I am running a nozzle wash with a small kim wipe in the cap to help the cleaning process.

I clean the front back and sides mon wed & fri....possibly overkill but I have never had to replace anything in 5+ years except a capping station and the tech said it really did not need changing

MikePro

aye, i'm a once-a-week scrubber/flusher, but I do clean the capping station and wiper daily before I do any printing... that is, unless my test draw shows anything but 100% nozzles firing(ok, ok, i'll settle for no less than 95%), then I go to work and whip my printer back into shape!

signswi

We clean around the heads daily and it's paid off, every morning with power off before it's turned on for the day. The JV3 requires a lot of love, I know we all groan cleaning the thing now that we're spoiled on the HP L25500.

gabagoo

I'm back to 100%. I do my cleanings at the end of the day, but I like the sound of doing it first thing in the morning...cant forget to swing the head back that way

MindsEyeOpen

At the shop I worked at several years ago we had a JV3-160. It was cleaned first thing in the morning everyday. If we had an unusually heavy printing day I would also clean it at the end of the day as well.

thewood

When we had a JV3, I cleaned the heads every morning. I always cleaned using either the CARRIAGE OUT or NOZZLE WASH command. That beeping sound is to remind you that the carriage is not on the capping station!

Our JV3 was so old that it didn't even have a removable cover. So, I just cleaned the heads while they were over the platen in the CARRIAGE OUT mode.

Glad to hear the heads are responding.

MindsEyeOpen

Same here, Roger.

If a JV3 is well taken care of it will be a workhorse. The shop I'm at now runs a JV33 which is much easier to take care of as far as cleaning goes. A friend of mine has a racing graphics shop that runs a JV3-160. He doesn't clean it nearly often enough, in my opinion. It makes me twitch everytime I see even the slightest bit of ink buildup on the capping station. :doh:

thewood

If a JV3 is well taken care of it will be a workhorse. The shop I'm at now runs a JV33 which is much easier to take care of as far as cleaning goes. A friend of mine has a racing graphics shop that runs a JV3-160. He doesn't clean it nearly often enough, in my opinion. It makes me twitch everytime I see even the slightest bit of ink buildup on the capping station. :doh:
Workhorse is great description for a JV3. We ran ours hard for 8+ years.You just have to dedicate a few minutes a day to maintenance.

We have a JV33 now as well. Love it. I hope it is as durable as the JV3.

we clean the heads whilst the machine is on....it beeps at you and you get i think 30 mins. was taught this way, its all just pressing the buttons and reading the screen as it tells you what you need to do, would never ever do it with the power turned off! to much risk for things like you have experienced.