• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Multiple Layers.... Is it possible to do this???

Chasez

I'm trying to print a decal that can be seen from both sides of the glass once installed. My process so far as been using 3m IJ8150, and in onyx x10 printer settings (using Epson s50670) going into the multiple layers and printing the first layer colour, then the next 3 flood white layers, then colour layer again. I am still getting shadowing (can see the first colour layer) once the decal is installed on the glass.

Is it possible with onyx to print my colour layer then a flood white layer, then a layer of solid black, then a layer of flood white, then my colour layer again?

Is there a better way to create a decal like this? Am I doing something wrong in onyx or Illustrator (cs6)?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Chaz

Chasez

When I've done these on our flatbed (using ONYX) I had to do it in a few steps.

Step 1: Print reversed version with 2 layers of white after (cmyk + spot + spot)

Step 2: Print a blockout layer, something like 0/0/0/60. This can be printed at high speed as it won't be seen

Step 3: Print right reading layer after 2 more layers of white ink (spot + spot + cmyk)

Makes for a lot of steps and a thick-a$$ decal but does the trick.

When you did this, are you able to set it up in onyx as one file or is it run as different jobs and just have to move the media back to a starting point and hope that it aligns? If you can do it as 1 file, how would you set it up in illustrator? (I have 50 4"x4" rounded corner decals with a wifi symbol and text on each side and would have to set it to cut on the plotter after as well - just to throw another wrench into this :p)

Chaz

Chasez

Yeah I needed 3 separate files.....which isn't a huge issue on the flatbed since your base point stays the same but a bit more of a pain on a roll to roll printer.

That being said - is there an option for return to origin after print? Or return to base point? Using a combination of that feature and and running small batches should get it done.

Hmm I've never looked into the origin point part.. I will take a look at onyx and see, I want to say I don't think so but Ill check into it. I guess if not I go back to the mark on a piece of tape and align that and print.

Thanks!

Chaz

Chasez

That should work fine! Just make sure you have a decent bleed and it will work. :thumb:

I ran a test decal with the 0/0/0/60 layer and it is still showing through. It helped a bit with the black layer but you can still see plain as day the first layer text. Back to the drawing board for this one, but its a great start with the black layer, im going to lay around with that some more.

Thanks

Chaz

greysquirrel

The problem with any white on non uv cure printers is that the white ink is no opaque enough. I printed reverse color and eight layers of white and it is still not opaque enough...

Chasez

The problem with any white on non uv cure printers is that the white ink is no opaque enough. I printed reverse color and eight layers of white and it is still not opaque enough...

With the Epson SC S50670 series that uses the new GS2 inks, the white ink is supposed to be a high density white ink and have a light transmittance of %1.8... at least that's what the brochure shows (attached)...

attachment.php

This is where I'm thinking I should be able to print a block out layer that should work. If I'm totally interpreting this incorrectly please let me know as I keep trying different settings/ ways to do this. I have tried talking to Epson before and got nowhere trying to do this.

Chaz

Attachments

• SureColor S-Series SRG v1.2.jpg
    SureColor S-Series SRG v1.2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 584

mpn

With the Epson SC S50670 series that uses the new GS2 inks, the white ink is supposed to be a high density white ink and have a light transmittance of %1.8... at least that's what the brochure shows (attached)...

attachment.php

This is where I'm thinking I should be able to print a block out layer that should work. If I'm totally interpreting this incorrectly please let me know as I keep trying different settings/ ways to do this. I have tried talking to Epson before and got nowhere trying to do this. Try the Onyx tech support, they've been helpful with other issues.

Chaz

Can't believe the brochure / flyer 100%. I haven't been able to get a super dense white either. I'm interested to see if you find a solution. Good luck.

Chasez

Can't believe the brochure / flyer 100%. I haven't been able to get a super dense white either. I'm interested to see if you find a solution. Good luck.

So i think i may have figured it out, it just requires a ton of layers and 4 print files..

First: print in reverse then add 3 layers of white print (using the multilayer function)
Second: print flood white layer
Third: print a 0/0/0/80 layer
Fourth: print flood white layer
Fifth: print 3 layers of white then the image

You'll have to play around with the settings / dry times inbetween each layer and make sure you align each print file accordingly so that it prints exactly ontop of the previous.

Hope this helps you get started just like i got my start from pat!

Chaz

mpn

So i think i may have figured it out, it just requires a ton of layers and 4 print files..

First: print in reverse then add 3 layers of white print (using the multilayer function)
Second: print flood white layer
Third: print a 0/0/0/80 layer
Fourth: print flood white layer
Fifth: print 3 layers of white then the image

You'll have to play around with the settings / dry times inbetween each layer and make sure you align each print file accordingly so that it prints exactly ontop of the previous.

Hope this helps you get started just like i got my start from pat!

Chaz

Thank you for the breakdown, much appreciated!