• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Optiscout camera not outputting video

JBurton

Signtologist
I just booted optiscout on my shopsabre router, uncovered the lens, and I get a black feed, no static. Anybody have any sort of trouble shooting tips I can try. Tech support's initial suggestion was the lens cap is on...
So far I've reseated all plugs into the camera and the box, I have a red light on the camera and a green one on the box, I've rebooted the machine and rebooted optiscout.
Any help is appreciated.

netsol

(camera hardware failure
power supply problems
internal interconnect cables
does optiscout have a setup menu that allows more than one source?

I just booted optiscout on my shopsabre router, uncovered the lens, and I get a black feed, no static. Anybody have any sort of trouble shooting tips I can try. Tech support's initial suggestion was the lens cap is on...
So far I've reseated all plugs into the camera and the box, I have a red light on the camera and a green one on the box, I've rebooted the machine and rebooted optiscout.
Any help is appreciated.
Just had this issue on my Colex. I ended up replacing the entire cable from the camera, thru the table, and into the computer. We switched from straight USB to a USB>ethernet>USB with converters near the camera and near the computer. This is a common issue with longer USB cables without powerboosters. I couldn't say for sure this is your problem, but I'd start by just swapping the cable with a short one and testing the camera, and if that works, do the full replacement.

JBurton

Signtologist
Try a new usb cable
Will do once I find a USB-B.
(camera hardware failure
power supply problems
internal interconnect cables
does optiscout have a setup menu that allows more than one source?
Hopefully not the camera itself, they quoted me 10k. Power checks out at camera, light comes on, camera even has a little joystick for changing settings, and the settings from the camera display on the video feed, but alas no actual video. Continuity for component cable to camera checks out, eurosystems at least has a couple of test programs just to check video output, but I'm wary of messing with much in their settings as the folks at shopsabre don't sell tons of these, so it tends to be an email sent to germany and responded too overnight.
I ended up replacing the entire cable from the camera, thru the table, and into the computer.
My setup is a camera with a power plug and a BNC connector, the BNC converts to a component cable, and that component runs into a USB video grabber (little box inside the computer cabinet) that recieves a USB B connector, then into the PC. The box has a light, and it lights up at least.

It's super frustrating, as I barely use the camera, but I had just stuck two sheets of ACM full of traffic signs that I'm likely going to have to reprint, and cut and stick separately.

netsol

if the camera is that expensive, we really should look at rebuilding/refurbishing them
we did this sort of thing back in the 1970's-1980's (it was a GREAT business!)

there must be someone like kent who did the roland & mutoh board repairs, or ed from inkjet performance who is familiar with these

i am afraid my time for this type of repair has come & gone (other than equipment i own)

HOPEFULLY, OP will not be the first one we get to explore whether repairs are feasable, still hoping his is just a cable or power supply

JBurton

Signtologist
if the camera is that expensive, we really should look at rebuilding/refurbishing them
Shopsabre made mention of returning the camera to them, to see if they could RMA it with eurosystems, I told him to price me a new camera in the meantime... then I saw the quote. I'll definitely explore the potential for a repair if it is indeed the camera. Just scored cables to start trying the cheap solutions.

JBurton

Signtologist
So, no go on the cables. As I thought on this, I am afraid something in the camera has failed, seeing as how the button on the back labeled OSD works, and feeds the menu through the component cable and the 'grabber' box to show on my pc screen, all the connections and hardware up until the camera sensor appear to be working. So, next question, I've come across a website for some supplier, helicon graphics, and they have the camera for just 2k. They also sell the software, dongles and other components, all of which can be totaled up to something close to that 10k quote (which leads me to believe they quoted me a whole system and not just a camera. At any rate, anybody here of helicon graphics, purchased from them, anything?

JBurton

Signtologist
Finally got this thing sent in for inspection and results were: unrepairable. Still seeking more information on that, but I've also asked for a revised quote to include only the camera, we'll see what that comes back as. In the meantime, does anybody know of another company that sells these? I found some at this website, but I am wary unless someone on here would like to vouch for them helicongraphics.com .

Signed Out

Finally got this thing sent in for inspection and results were: unrepairable. Still seeking more information on that, but I've also asked for a revised quote to include only the camera, we'll see what that comes back as. In the meantime, does anybody know of another company that sells these? I found some at this website, but I am wary unless someone on here would like to vouch for them helicongraphics.com .
Any update, did you get the camera working? Getting a quote on a shop sabre with opticscout. How is the workflow when you use the camera for printed signs? Do yoy have the tangential knife, ever cut any decals with opticscout? Looking for some real life feedback as it doesn't seem they are really geared towards print to cut stuff. But trying to decide if the shop sabre can be good do all cnc for me. Looking at the colex too, completely different animals.

netsol

i forgot all about this ( this was the week my wife went in hospital) her story is much like your camera. they would fix it, IF THEY KNEW WHAT WAS HAPPENING!

i would have thought that optiscout is a reputable company. not one to leave you in the lurch.

was the camera returned to you yet?
i would be curious to see a pic with covers removed
did you post on other cnc sites and ask about other repair options?
look over " optiscout". serch results on ebay & contact "ask seller a question" , as i often do?.

netsol

after watching an optiscout demo video, it seems to me you could substitute almost any color ccd with cs mount lens. they don't seem to be doing anything really proprietary.

ok, there is always the possibility the calibration process could drive you to the brink of madness, but, like root canal, eventually it will be over & you will be glad you did it

• Agree
Reactions: Lux

JBurton

Signtologist
Any update, did you get the camera working? Getting a quote on a shop sabre with opticscout. How is the workflow when you use the camera for printed signs? Do yoy have the tangential knife, ever cut any decals with opticscout? Looking for some real life feedback as it doesn't seem they are really geared towards print to cut stuff. But trying to decide if the shop sabre can be good do all cnc for me. Looking at the colex too, completely different animals.
Got a brand new one to the tune of 2k. I believe netsol is right, the software doesn't seem to care what video feed it's getting, but I could never come up with a compatible part, and just wanted it working again.
Work flow is not great, boot the router, set home, load material, open optiscout, import prepared dxf, arrange layers with cut strategies, hit go, it will unload the bit, run the camera registration, and you have to scramble to get the cover back on the camera so it doesn't get damaged by chips. If you were doing 10 identical parts/prints, it would be great, otherwise you have to 'work' on every file to get the proper cutting parameters.
Dunno how the colex does it, but it's a different beast as you say, surely a much faster throughput than the shopsabre.
was the camera returned to you yet?
i would be curious to see a pic with covers removed
They sent it back, I'll dig it out a little later and get you some pics.