• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 3165ra vs . 3Mij35c

luggnut

i use the oracal right now for everyday signage... it cost me about $225 per roll the 3M is adverised at $170. the oracal says a 5yr intermediate the 3M says 5yr also. i'm thinking about switching ... has anyone used both and has any suggestions or opinions on these?

speedmedia

I have not used the 3m either, never heard of it. Might be interested to see how it works.

I know I have tried ij160c vs. 3551 and was very happy with that stuff. Good print, and great for install for a calendared vinyl.

Thanks,
Kurt

Adam Bennett

I've only used Ij35 (no "c")

But I'm sure that makes things even better. I can't talk sh!t about Oracal because I've NEVER used their print media. ever.

acothran

I'm going through the same thing right now. $0.05 per sq/ft can make a big difference. Just received or roll of IJ35C and as soon as I burn through this roll of 3165RA, I'll give it a try.

Allen

johnnysigns

Definitely fill us in. Were using about a roll a week of the 3165ra here. Switching is something we've toyed with.

cptcorn

adad
I like IJ35 more than the cheaper oracal stuff...3M's material seems to handle a little better than Oracal's... Haven't used the comply version, never needed it.

The awesome thing about Oracal is you can get a cheap laminate with it in various sizes, I think 3M's cheap laminate is only in a 54" roll size.

luggnut

i've just started with a new roll of 3Mij35c (air release version) so far prints nice has the air release pattern of the CV3 version so no visible pattern. i'm using the same profile i was for oracal 3165ra and it looks the same so far. and at $75 dollars cheaper i think i'm switching

cptcorn

adad
i've just started with a new roll of 3Mij35c (air release version) so far prints nice has the air release pattern of the CV3 version so no visible pattern. i'm using the same profile i was for oracal 3165ra and it looks the same so far. and at $75 dollars cheaper i think i'm switching

Cool I thought it just had the Cv1 pattern... might have to spend the $50 roughly and go with comply from now on.

acothran

Same tests here and we can't tell much of a difference. 3165RA is a bit thicker (.75 mil). You can get the 3165RA for as cheap, or cheaper, than the IJ35C...somewhere in the $0.25-$0.26 sq/ft range.

Allen