• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Overlam for harsh chemicals

bdw99

Does anyone know of any laminates that are used for industrial areas with harsh chemicals? Haven't ordered anything like this before so looking for some suggestions. Thanks

netsol

perhaps you want to request data sheets for someof the "harsh" products produced/used in the area where you will be installing

bdw99

I'll have to talk to the customer because I haven't gotten any details. Thank you for the replies.

Sky Bryan

I like LED's and wraps.
Does anyone know of any laminates that are used for industrial areas with harsh chemicals? Haven't ordered anything like this before so looking for some suggestions. Thanks.

I recommend 3M Anti Graffiti Vandal Guard 8991. if offers maximum scratch protection and is resistant to all solvents. Only issue is it's very rigid so only suitable for flat signs. I get it for about 1,200 per roll from ND Graphics.

bdw99

Do you mind sharing what chemicals and what your resolve was//is ??
The job ended up just getting passed to my desk from a co worker so didn't have too much info when I first made the post. Its a food processing plant and the Chemicals they were referring to were various liquid cleaners. They also pressure wash afterward. Found out that we had subbed the job out to a different company long ago and found out that they were using 3m 8520. Not neccesarily the direct application but customer says that it hold up perfect for what they need.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Haa....... we had a job very similar some years ago. We made I think 30 or 40 signs and they installed them in various parts of this food manufacturing plant. They tried cleaning them, before they went up and knocked half of the ink off before they were hung. They wanted me to refund the money. I asked, why are you power washing signs at close range before they even go up ?? Our cleaning crew wanted to make sure they'd withstand our stringent cleaning routines and your signs failed. I said, where or when did you ever tell me, they were to be hit with power washers and so often ?? We didn't. Then, we didn't do anything wrong under normal circumstances. So, to fix this problem, we will get all new blanks, but clear and print it backwards and overlay a piece of white. Then, your washers can spray the livin' sh!t outta them and they'll be fine. We charged them over to do the new methods and knocked about 15% off. They were happy and so was I. If people would discuss their needs in its entirety, things go so much better all around. Not only that, but we got 2 or 3 cases of pies and cakes after it was over.

bdw99

Haa....... we had a job very similar some years ago. We made I think 30 or 40 signs and they installed them in various parts of this food manufacturing plant. They tried cleaning them, before they went up and knocked half of the ink off before they were hung. They wanted me to refund the money. I asked, why are you power washing signs at close range before they even go up ?? Our cleaning crew wanted to make sure they'd withstand our stringent cleaning routines and your signs failed. I said, where or when did you ever tell me, they were to be hit with power washers and so often ?? We didn't. Then, we didn't do anything wrong under normal circumstances. So, to fix this problem, we will get all new blanks, but clear and print it backwards and overlay a piece of white. Then, your washers can spray the livin' sh!t outta them and they'll be fine. We charged them over to do the new methods and knocked about 15% off. They were happy and so was I. If people would discuss their needs in its entirety, things go so much better all around. Not only that, but we got 2 or 3 cases of pies and cakes after it was over.
At least it all worked out haha

netsol

as a tule of yhumb, it is well worth finding out what the chemicals ARE, if we want something resistant to them...
if you request safety datasheets, it will be like reading the dead sea scrolls, but, you will at least have the info
for tech support (or signs101 members) to help you