• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting Glass in Very Cold Weather

soundhound

Hi Everybody-
I am hoping that someone has been here before and can offer me some advice.

Good client moved into abandoned Blockbusters, pizza huts, etc and built mini-hospital emergency rooms.
Lots of them.

Unfortunately, they were in such a rush to get these built that they laid studwall right up against glass picture windows so you cannot get behind the glass to even clean it..., then, in December in Vermont (avg temp around 20) they want me to put film over the glass to hide the studwall backs.

There is a black film that my supplier says will stick, but I am not really too excited to experiment on that level (hundreds of sq ft).

My though is that maybe I could mask off the mullions and paint the glass with something opaque... but I have no idea what that might be.

Any brilliant ideas?

Thanks

Soundhound

Z SIGNS

cover the windows with acm

It will look better than vinyl or paint and you will in and out quick

Rocco G

I'll agree with the ACM thought. Mount some aluminum angle (or 2x4's or...) to the mullions and then use some VHB tape & silicone to attach the panels, caulk around the edges and you are done. I have a situation kind of like that in our area and I'll suggest the ACM to them instead of more vinyl - like they want me to do. Besides, the block out vinyl is EXPENSIVE.

I'll agree with the ACM thought. Mount some aluminum angle (or 2x4's or...) to the mullions and then use some VHB tape & silicone to attach the panels, caulk around the edges and you are done. I have a situation kind of like that in our area and I'll suggest the ACM to them instead of more vinyl - like they want me to do. Besides, the block out vinyl is EXPENSIVE.

If you were to film it with Blackout or white out WINDOW FILM, is much much cheaper than vinyl, they have outdoor products as well. but exterior film isn't possible until you get some 40+ deg days

soundhound

That's Why I Love you guys!

Never even entered my mind!

ACM to cover everything! Bet I could even VHB it right to the glass.

Also considering (now) .032 aluminum anodized.

Thank YOU!

Soundhound

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You might get waves in .032 sheets. Besides the expansion rate on glass might make it pop off one day and that could hurt someone. Physical fasteners would be much safer.

Remember, doing things, doing them well and creating a good reputation is not always the easy and cheap way out of things. Remain the professional and explain why certain avenues of thought are better than others. Let them make the decision to cheap out on ya. At least your hide is covered... thank goodness. :wink:

soundhound

...yeah a few problems show their ugly heads!

I am thinking that if we cover the glass with ACM, and some numb-nuts start banging on it, they are going to break the glass.

Might be smarter to cover it with something softer that takes an indent like gatorfoam or even coroplast.

Cost wise it would be hard to beat coro with vhb... but maybe there is something better?

Cost (within reason) is no object for this client.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If some numb-nuts started banging on the glass without the covering over it he will bust it. Better chance with something over the top if you think something like that's going to happen.

Gatorboard is not an exterior product. Cor-X is a temporary exterior product.

If cost is no problem, then have him block the wall in with concrete blocks and be done with it. :rolleyes: