• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Payroll with Quickbooks for MAC?

speedmedia

Hey all,
Just trying to get everything setup and running with Quickbooks. I have Quickbooks Pro for Mac 2007. I want to do payroll with it for myself. Does anyone know if this is possible or if there is a plugin to make this work? I am trying to be less dependent on my accountant for monthly tasks.

Thanks,
Kurt

Bill Modzel

We have a much older version of QP on our G4 Powerbook. Quickbooks has a separate
application called CheckMark for payroll, that my wife uses at another business that she is bookeeper for. It isnt' free by any means.

Here at our business we've never had more than two employees so my wife keeps an Excel spreadsheet for employee payroll and breaks down the taxes manually and enters them into QB in the appropriate accounts.

Both seem to work well. Our accountant generate W2's and Estimated tax forms for us as needed. We pass off our QB backup file and the excell file to them on a jump drive quarterly.

speedmedia

Thanks for the info Bill.

Anyone else have anything they use to make this happen? It seems like there should be some sort of way to do it without having to buy other stuff.

Thanks,
Kurt

Bill Modzel

Kurt,
I don't know if my mention of using Excel spooked you but you don't even need that.
You should have the Fed and State withholding tables already. Just track your checks and deductions on a spread sheet, that's the paper kind.

Enter the figures in QB in the appropriate accounts. You need to buy nothing else. I refuse to purchase the payroll subscriptions from QB. It's one thing in you have a half dozen employees, but it's just an added expense for one or two.

Ask your accountant how to set up the tax accounts if you don't know how.

speedmedia

Kurt,
I don't know if my mention of using Excel spooked you but you don't even need that.
You should have the Fed and State withholding tables already. Just track your checks and deductions on a spread sheet, that's the paper kind.

Enter the figures in QB in the appropriate accounts. You need to buy nothing else. I refuse to purchase the payroll subscriptions from QB. It's one thing in you have a half dozen employees, but it's just an added expense for one or two.

Ask your accountant how to set up the tax accounts if you don't know how.

Bill - lol. The Excel spreadsheet did scare me a little.

I see what you mean on the other option.

What I was looking for is what synergy jim is talking about. I have a person from my accounting firm coming next week to get me all setup so hopefully we can figure it all out.

Thanks for the help guys!

Thanks,
Kurt

joeshaul

My mother handles the bean counting for our business as well as a few other businesses. For Payroll specifically she uses a check program/payroll program called VersaCheck for two companies.

Versacheck has since been bought up by Intuit, so unsure how much longer it will actually be around, but seems to me she pays a yearly fee, then has to buy the fairly pricey magnetic ink for printing the checks. Lot cheaper than ADP though. Think we originally found it at an Office Depot and did a little bit of researching on it.

Direct deposit may be cheaper and less hassel, but one of the companies she does the books for has a Mosh kind of scenario, where Miguel's really Juan kinda thing and only a handful of people actually have bank accounts in this town.