• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PDF, file is corrupt

Mosh

Once in a while I get a pdf from a customer and when I try to open it in Corel (x3) it says "file is corrupt". It opens fine in the adobe viewer but not in Corel, and not every PDF does it just once in a while.

Also some PDF files in versaworks print a pattern differently than they look in the viewer. Same problem or? This is on my RIP machine that is running windows XP, don't see it happening on my other design machine...as much.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
To paraphrase ... Render unto Adobe what is Adobe's.

The remedy for the issue is to have an Adobe product on hand that can open and resave the file. Either Illustrator or Acrobat Pro will solve your problem. If you are expecting Corel to deal with all things Adobe, you are expecting more than is reasonable.

AzGene

Can't speak to your software but what works for me is opening on a program that will let you open and then export as an .eps.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
i can dig that, but why do most PDF's open and only some are corrupt? In Corel?

Because, just as with EPS, there are lots of different settings that can vary depending on the choices (or lack of knowledge) on the part of the PDF creator or the program they used to create it. Adobe's strength is that they own the technology of all things Postscript and will pretty much successfully open any PDF or EPS you click on.

ridefst

In my experience, Corel can't open a newer version of PDF - it'll give you the "corrupt file" error.
X3 is a little old by now, so PDF's created with CS3/4/5 are too new for it.
Try X5 or X6, it'll open a few PDF's that X3 won't - or just get the Adobe product and use it to resave.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I think it can depend on what was originally used as the "design program" to create the PDF that you were provided to print. Since every program on every computer now has the ability to either export or print to PDF, many were not designed to be compatible with Corel, especially newer programs that have been released since your version of Corel.

Also, PDFs are "designed" to be universally "view-able" in PDF viewers, not imported into other programs. When you make a PDF from the original program; most of the time data is changed/restructured so that is is easily view-able (and most of the time optimized) for anyone you share it with. But if you were to try opening it in the program that originally created it - it will not have all of the functionality that the file originally had in the native program.

Mega Format

Pdf

In acrobat you can check i n which program it is designed go to file, properties, you will see application.

Even a file designed in corel will sometimes not open good from pdf the gradients and drop shadows will get corrupt, but most pdf files opens good in Illustrator.