• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PERFORATED VINYL can anyone explain the numbers?

txhotrod

I am looking into offering perforated vinyl, but I am confused by what I am finding. What do the numbers mean? Like 80/20, 70/30? Is this the weight of the material? The ratio of holes to solid? What is a good brand that won't break the bank? Thanks

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
It's the ratio of holes to solid, with the first number (usually) being the amount of solid. A 70/30 would have holes making up 30% of the material (i.e., what you can see through). 70/30 or 80/20 is generally used for buildings, 50/50 for vehicles (to allow for max visibility.
GFC is a good bargain brand. If you laminate (some do, some don't), make sure to use an optically clear laminate and do not use application fluid. Any squeegee marks will (should) disappear within a few days.

signheremd

We use mostly 60/40 and do mostly business windows. Keep in mind that whatever side has the light is the side that cannot see through. So during the day, if applied to the outside of the glass, people walking by see the printed message but cannot see through. At night, you can't see out but with the lights on the people outside can see in.

As far as brands, we like UltraFlex UltraVision 60/40 UV. Great price point, easy to print, easy to install, excellent durability. We often do without laminate, but when we do we use Briteline's WrapCast Optically Clear Overlaminate (great price point). As GaSouthpaw said, dry apply and if using a laminate expect it to take a couple of days for the application marks to go away.

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

gnubler

There's a bunch of threads around the forum I was recently reading through for research on perforated vinyl. A Google search will reveal them.

If going on a vehicle you should laminate. Otherwise water & dirt will build up in the holes and make it hard or impossible to see through.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Almost always, because there's always the customer who complains when the print fades after 6 months (even though most window perf is only "good" for a year [by "good", I mean the warranty]).
Yes, I realize there are plenty of cases where it lasts longer, and that's awesome.

gnubler

curious. how many of you guys laminate your window perf?
I'd like to know also. I recently installed perforated vinyl on some exterior building windows. West facing that gets blasted with sun every afternoon, so I had them laminated thinking that would help with longevity.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I'd like to know also. I recently installed perforated vinyl on some exterior building windows. West facing that gets blasted with sun every afternoon, so I had them laminated thinking that would help with longevity.
We have window perf on all of our windows. I have two sides of windows. the front and side of the shop both getting afternoon sun. Houston, Texas hot. Sometimes I think the only thing hotter is satans ass.
the side window graphics have been on for a year without lamination. no fading.
the front windows have been on since march no lamination. no fading.
so, i'm really wondering why the lamination.

gnubler

Interesting. I got caught down a perforated vinyl S101 rabbit hole during my research and found all kinds of conflicting info, as always...
But the consensus seems to be always laminate for vehicle use.
No dark color full coverage vinyl on building windows because they can overheat and crack the glass.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Interesting. I got caught down a perforated vinyl S101 rabbit hole during my research and found all kinds of conflicting info, as always...
But the consensus seems to be always laminate for vehicle use.
No dark color full coverage vinyl on building windows because they can overheat and crack the glass.
you mean vinyl without holes?

gnubler

With or without holes. I had a customer who wanted to cover their entire window with a dark blue background and I said no. Whether it's perfed or not it can overheat the glass and I didn't want to take the risk.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
With or without holes. I had a customer who wanted to cover their entire window with a dark blue background and I said no. Whether it's perfed or not it can overheat the glass and I didn't want to take the risk.
I'm gonna have to call bullshit on the breaking windows. those storefront windows are safety glass.