• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Personal Logo Critique

AlphaArtCompany

First off, I'm new here. Been lurking a while, just not much of a talker. I've had my previous logo for a couple years, but I know it sucks. I've just never gotten around to working on it until now. Here's what I keep landing on. I'd appreciate some constructive criticism, I hate doing work for myself. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Alpha Logo New.jpg
    Alpha Logo New.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 189

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think you need to find another font, that doesn't appear to be drunk.

The darker half at the bottom bothers me, but not as much as the dated kinda sign. This looks kinda 70s or 80s.

It's a good start, but you need some more fine tuning. :rock-n-roll:

TXFB.INS

The large A remind me of the "A" from Avenges

the font used on the wording/lettering is tough to read

Jillbeans

Your fonts do conflict with each other.
The big A looks real modern and dynamic, while the other lettering looks retro 1930s.
I'd go all one way or all the other.
Love....Jill

AlphaArtCompany

Does doing away with the big A alleviate some of the issues with the other font? I've been using the griffin for years. It was part of my first logo, but drifted away from it over the years.

Attachments

• Alpha Logo New griffin.jpg
    Alpha Logo New griffin.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 185

TimToad

I'd mirror most of what others have offered. Thanks for sharing. I like it as a starting point.

I'd like to see you distinguish the "A" icon from the name panel by using a different background color that might help the whole panel recede behind the big, bold A like they were stacked one in front of the other. If everything is red and a hot color, it all pushes forward and wants my eye to view it all on the same plane. A logo really doesn't have to be on a singular field of depth.

As for the font for the wording, does the font you used on the big A, have a lighter weight version? Could you take the weight you used for the "A" convert it to outlines and negative offset path it a little until it looks right, but without destroying the integrity of the font?

The other thing is the odd use of gradients and that odd shadow? shading you have behind the large A icon. I know its just a .jpg and probably lower res, but the background effect you did on the panel containing your name is weirdly pixillated and so is whatever that is around the A. Call me a photorealist, but if you are doing any kind of special effect, embossing, texture, gradient, mirroring, etc... take the time to render it so it mimics real life. Otherwise, viewers are left scratching their heads wondering what it is you are trying to illustrate.

AlphaArtCompany

I think I have talked myself down from the A. I like the griffin much better now that I've seen it. The JPEG isn't holding the detail of the gradient like it should for some reason. I do like your idea of making the oval behind the griffin a different color though. I'm going to play around with that. There isn't a lighter version of the A font, I'll do some more digging for an appropriate font when I have time. The current one is the only one that's spoken to me out of the hundreds I've been through so far. Thanks for all of the responses.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
Did you draw the griffin? I really like the the idea of it, but I hope it is your creation or you commissioned someone the draw it. That last thing you want is for your company and some high school to have the same logo.

TimToad

I think I have talked myself down from the A. I like the griffin much better now that I've seen it. The JPEG isn't holding the detail of the gradient like it should for some reason. I do like your idea of making the oval behind the griffin a different color though. I'm going to play around with that. There isn't a lighter version of the A font, I'll do some more digging for an appropriate font when I have time. The current one is the only one that's spoken to me out of the hundreds I've been through so far. Thanks for all of the responses.

Actually, I meant to change the color of the background panel behind the name so that whole panel doesn't compete so much with the "A" bullseye.

AlphaArtCompany

Did you draw the griffin? I really like the the idea of it, but I hope it is your creation or you commissioned someone the draw it. That last thing you want is for your company and some high school to have the same logo.

It was on a clip art disk that came with the first used vinyl cutter I ever bought. I've always been worried about seeing it used somewhere else, but never have. I'm just so hooked on it that I find it worth the risk of someone else having it somewhere. I'm not totally opposed to commissioning an original from someone as long as it has the same feel. I'm no illustrator. Any recommendations?

Andy D

This is the Alpha sign, I think I would try and work that into my logo... just a thought:

attachment.php

Attachments

• alpha-hi.png
    alpha-hi.png
    21 KB · Views: 226

Jillbeans

I much prefer it with the griffin, it matches the retro looking font.
I would leave it all the same tones.
Maybe tighten the icon to the lettering a bit more.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
It may be too much, but maybe a play on the A's if you keep that font?
attachment.php

Attachments

• +561.JPG
    +561.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 235

nikdoobs

I like it. The font doesn't bother me too much but I'm not a big fan of All Caps. The griffin looks cool but maybe try to thicken the red lines that define it's legs and wings slightly.