• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop Beta / Generative Fill

jochwat

Graphics Department
So I unintentionally spent a good couple of hours last night playing with the "Generative Fill" function that was recently opened up in the Adobe Photoshop Beta release. And not because it was difficult or complicated. It was just that fun.

If you've got the subscription that includes Photoshop, I recommend that you get the Beta, get it updated, and try it out.

Example: I had a photo of my backyard BBQ area, which currently contains a square of dirt within the grass. I drew a selection around the dirt square, and typed "dirty pond" into the "Generative Fill" text box, and hit Enter. I was presented with three different versions of a square, murky-water-filled hole... one was rimmed with grass. Another seemed to have concrete forms in place. The third, I don't remember, but all of them were absolutely cool.

And it doesn't just, for instance, drop an "angry bobcat" on top of the image like a sticker. It'll (most of the time) incorporate what it finds in the source image. For instance, it will look like the bobcat is standing with its feet IN the grass, not on top of it. I put some "chickens" into an area that had chain-link fencing... and it put the chickens BEHIND the fence. Also, it seems like it'll do fun things when you drop more things into things you already made (it creates them all into new layers). So the new doorway that I added to the side of the garage could now have a "creepy guy" in it, and he peered out from within the doorway.

Yeah, you need to check this out. I didn't post any example photos because you should be as elated as I was to see it work for the first time. As well as the 75th time.

JBurton

Signtologist
I for one don't have anything adobe, but would love to see some examples. Does it auto generate landscaping at the base of a sign?

jochwat

Graphics Department
Discovered this the other day while reading more info in the Adobe Support groups...

You can select something you'd like to delete, and then just hit enter from the text box. Don't type a description at all. It'll delete the object, often with wonderful results.

Here's a picture. I loosely selected the "5" decal, and hit enter without typing anything in the box. Bye bye, 5. Helloooooo, full card of 8s.

And no, this was not a layered image. Fully flattened JPG.

before-after.jpg

brdesign

I know that the content aware fill in photoshop has gotten really good in the last few updates, but looks like this takes to a whole new level.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So, I installed the beta ap, but my computer at work isn't compatible. I'll have to try it at home. It's a new computer, hopefully it's compatible.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I got it to work anyway...
I for one don't have anything adobe, but would love to see some examples. Does it auto generate landscaping at the base of a sign?
Yep... (it sill works even though I don't have the right level of graphic processer). I added some gravel.

BEFORE:
1685052056038.png

AFTER:
1685052172605.png