• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop Help Please

mpn

I'm pretty sure I'm missing an easy one.....

I'm using cs5 and when saving an image in photoshop it is printing out a hazy background exactly the size of my art board.
This did not happen until I upgraded my Mac desktop, so I'm wondering what setting is checked or not checked.

Any help is appreciated.:rock-n-roll:

Printing with Versaworks/Roland combo

peavey123

Ya, we need more info dude. I'm not exactly sure what "hazy background the size of your artboard" means?

What does the image size dialog say for size and resolution? What size are you printing the image? What edits did you do? What type of file was the original?

It's not Bokeh is it? haha :covereyes:

mpn

Image is vector with gradients that versaworks does not like, so I put the vector into photoshop and save out as either a psd or jpeg then place it back into the illustrator file. The image is not being built in photoshop so there are no layers to show.
This is not image specific, it happens on any image, so I'm having to think it's something in my work process between photoshop and illustrator. Photoshop is not my strong point.

Attached is a screen shot of the photoshop dialog box and the problem I'm having.

No it's not Bokeh.

Image is 18"x8"

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
What is the end file type that you print? A TIF? JPG? I have seen this happen in Versaworks printing .JPG sometimes, and it has to do with the profile you save it with and whether it is RGB or CMYK.
Set your color settings to Adobe RGB 1998 as your output profile, and save the file as RGB .TIF and your background should be transparent in Versaworks.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
have you dragged the eyedropper tool around the image in photoshop? If there is even a hint of color then this could happen. All white needs to be 255,255,255. If you see those numbers vary even slightly when sweeping across white areas then you could have some colored areas that are barely showing on screen but your RIP is trying to match

mpn

It's saved as a pdf. Never had an issue with my workflow until I reloaded CS5 (maybe a default setting?)
It is 255 all the way around with the eyedropper.

The issue only happens when taking an image from photoshop and placing it in a illustrator file.

I will try saving as a tif file when time permits today.

peavey123

Set your color settings to Adobe RGB 1998 as your output profile.

+1

I used to have this problem on an older version of ONYX. Make sure your colour settings in Illustrator & photoshop are set to Adobe RGB 1998. So when you export from one to the other the profiles are the same.

I believe this is because sRGB (which you have photoshop set too) is a wider gamut than Adobe 1998.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
+1

I used to have this problem on an older version of ONYX. Make sure your colour settings in Illustrator & photoshop are set to Adobe RGB 1998. So when you export from one to the other the profiles are the same.

I believe this is because sRGB (which you have photoshop set too) is a wider gamut than Adobe 1998.

Close but just the opposite. sRGB has a much smaller gamut than Adobe RGB.

Regardless - Illustrator recognizes native Photoshop files as well as transparent tiff images just fine. So eliminate the variable of a dozen different PDF file versions and/or a flat background and save the Photoshop document as a native layered PSD or tiff with no background. Then place (or paste/embed if desired) that into the Illustrator file. Also as mentioned make sure both files have the same color mode and profile (RGB format and Adobe RGB 1998 profile will give the widest color gamut).

mpn

Close but just the opposite. sRGB has a much smaller gamut than Adobe RGB.

Regardless - Illustrator recognizes native Photoshop files as well as transparent tiff images just fine. So eliminate the variable of a dozen different PDF file versions and/or a flat background and save the Photoshop document as a native layered PSD or tiff with no background. Then place (or paste/embed if desired) that into the Illustrator file. Also as mentioned make sure both files have the same color mode and profile (RGB format and Adobe RGB 1998 profile will give the widest color gamut).

The files are saved as photoshop psd and then opened in illustrator. I will double check right now if they are both set to the same color mode and profile.

A big thank you to everyone that has helped!

mpn

Ok, double checked and maybe this is the issue? Photoshop was set to sRGB IEC color mode instead of Adobe RGB. Illustrator is set to RGB, so could this be the issue???

mpn

I think I have this tracked down to a Illustrator flattening issue with a suggestion from jmcnicoll. The attached photo shows what happens when I flatten the image, it leaves a pinkish haze where the image confines are.
There is no color for the eyedropper tool to pick up on in that area. Flattening the file also made all colors way darker as well. That is the second photo.