• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PLEASE HELP! GS15 just stopped working!! :(

DeVries Signs

I've been using this plotter since 1994 and never a single problem! Just 5 min ago, I got up from my chair and attempted to advance the vinyl via the left arrow key (as I've done thousands of times before), and as soon as I touched the button, an electrical SHOCK (static electricity) occurred and now I cant do anything!

As soon as the shock happened, I noticed that the "run continuous" and "run single" lights lit up. I can not do anything- none of the buttons work now. The unit does still power one and off fine, but that's it! I tried unplugging the power and the cable for a few seconds....still nothing.

Is there a way to reset this, or am I screwed!? I have a trailer and pickup comin here today to letter. I should have never sold my "spare" plotter! :omg2:

Attachments

• P1010203.jpg
    P1010203.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 162

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i had this happen a few years back before we got the envision...if i remember correctly, we had to replace one of the boards cause it was fried...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You probably fried a component on a PC board. Do you have a relationship with a Gerber distributor? If this happened to me, my distributor would have a loaner in by tomorrow and would either assist by phone or arrange a repair at the factory.

Marlene

the two lights come on even after you have shut the plotter off and on? when you go to the plot page and send a job tothe plotter, what does the GQmgr say? it should read that the plotter is active.

DeVries Signs

the two lights come on even after you have shut the plotter off and on? when you go to the plot page and send a job tothe plotter, what does the GQmgr say? it should read that the plotter is active.

Yes, the 2 lights stay on when powering back up. I just tried to plot, and got communications error.

Thanks for the fast replies. I do this on the "side" now, (I am not a "big" sign company by any means), and I really don't have a "repoire" with any Gerber distributors. This plotter was purchased from TubeLite in NJ way back when. I have bought an Edge II from Hyatts like 3yrs ago, and some minor things from GMS recently.

I wish I could find a "loaner" plotter somewhere within driving distance TODAY!!

Attachments

• P1010204.jpg
    P1010204.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 140

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
contact hyatt..they should be able to tell you how much the part'll be...i dont believe we ever sent our plotter out, so we must have been able to replace the part by ourselves....if you need the number for hyatt, let me know...

DeVries Signs

contact hyatt..they should be able to tell you how much the part'll be...i dont believe we ever sent our plotter out, so we must have been able to replace the part by ourselves....if you need the number for hyatt, let me know...

I have their number...right on the plotter, actually!

Just called TubeLite about a loaner...the "boss" is calling me back. Guess I will try Hyatts and see what they think...

Attachments

• P1010205.jpg
    P1010205.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 190

Marlene

Hyatts is really good and they used to have a tech service which is of help if you need to buy the part and install it yourself. best of luck

DeVries Signs

Just spoke to the "plotter doctor" out in California. They won't sell me just the motherboard. I have to either send them mine, or send them the entire plotter.

And the cost to fix the motherboard?? $650-$900!

Does ANYone know where I can get this part? Does Gerber even still make the GS15, or just the GS15 PLUS??

DeVries Signs

Welp, just got off the phone with Gerber tech support. Someone is calling me back within the next 7hrs to let me know if I can get a mother board for this....:banghead:

DeVries Signs

How can i test/tell if I "burned out the motherboard" or not??

Doesn't it make more sense that I "burned out" the small circuit board that controls all of the buttons (se epics)??

Attachments

• P1010211.jpg
    P1010211.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 180
  • P1010212.jpg
    P1010212.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 136

signage

You will need to talk to someone that can lead you through the tests. Static can do strange things!

DeVries Signs

Well, an extremely pleasant woman named "Peggy" from Gerber tech called me this morning and told me what to do. I just need to unplug the key pad ribbon from the mother board and power it up. If it still "beeps", that means I just need a key pad ($300+). If not, I need a mother board ($661).

Will try it when I get to the shop later...

DeVries Signs

Welp, Gerber does not have any main boards for my GS-15. :banghead:

So it's either "plotter doctor", or I try and find somewhere locally that will repair the board...