• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pole banners without sewing

GraphicsSource

Hey guys,

We got an order for 7 pole banners (approx. 2'x4') and wanted to get everyones opinions on the best way to finish these without sewing...our thoughts were to either print them head to head on 13oz and tape them together and reinforce them with grommets OR print them double sided on 15oz banner and tape the pocket with reinforce with grommets. My concern with 13oz was I wasn't sure if the prints would show through if the sun was shining hard on one side.

Will the tape + grommets be strong enough to last?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you go back to back with the 13oz you will want it to be a block out material.
I have a nice 13oz here that has a dark gray backside that works well.
Print side by side, fold along the long seam so the open edges are pole side.
Pockets are folded on each end and grommets are set at each end of the pocket to hold the seams.
We use HH66 instead of tape - it burns down into the scrim and welds the vinyl together.
Only caveat is to leave the areas the glue goes on unprinted if they are full bleed with a heavy ink load.

wayne k
guam usa

NateF

We use HH66 instead of tape - it burns down into the scrim and welds the vinyl together.
Only caveat is to leave the areas the glue goes on unprinted if they are full bleed with a heavy ink load.

+1 to this. We picked this tip up here on Signs101 a couple years ago. Leave a white strip on the banner where the glue seam will go. Tape if off with masking tape for gluing, and the HH66 will work wonders.

We use it on 18oz 2-sided pole banners, then add a grommet on each end of the seam for reinforcement. I have a sample in the showroom that people can try to tear apart - two years and it still hasn't ripped.

Baz

Never heard of HH66 before.

Have a small street banner job coming up and i will try this method.

TXFB.INS

pole banners should always be done on block out material.

we have had good luck with ORAFOL ORABOND 1397PP

bannertime

Never heard of HH66 before.

Have a small street banner job coming up and i will try this method.

It's good stuff, we use it to repair and seam scrim vinyl banners. However, our last over-the-street mesh banner (2ft x 50ft) had a seam in the middle with HH66 and failed within 3 months. Would recommend all day for regular scrim vinyl!

Baz

I ended up outsourcing the production of that little banner along with a bigger banner order.
So i did not end up trying the adhesive.

bigben

Do you think a 30inX100in banner would hold with the HH66?

Now I have to found where to buy this in Canada.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Do you think a 30inX100in banner would hold with the HH66?

Now I have to found where to buy this in Canada.

Should be fine.
We do pylon wraps every 3 months or so, they are 3 panels 190"w x 120"h finished size.
We use the cement on the horizontal center seams and hems all around.
Have a sewing machine but for these sizes the glue is much faster.
Also use it to set up 2'x10' double sided pole banners.
Glue it all together with the pole pockets and vertical hems and then do a quick horizontal stitch on each pocket to make sure they are not going to come down.

wayne k
guam usa

wayne k
guam usa

ams

Sewing is better, you can do what I did. Go to your local upholstery shop and ask them to do it. I did some 24" X 48" and they only charged me $10 per banner for sewing, that was for two lines each top and bottom.

bigben

Sewing is better, you can do what I did. Go to your local upholstery shop and ask them to do it. I did some 24" X 48" and they only charged me $10 per banner for sewing, that was for two lines each top and bottom.

This is what I do now. But just for one banner, I have to drive there, wait on the next day to have it and go pick it up. It would be much faster using the glue in house.

atcian

I've recently come across this tape called PoleTape at SGIA trade show a few months ago. Still haven't gotten around to test it but adhesion on the sample I received looks super strong. Here is the site with more info PoleTape Link. Might work for you.

BobCap

I've recently come across this tape called PoleTape at SGIA trade show a few months ago. Still haven't gotten around to test it but adhesion on the sample I received looks super strong. Here is the site with more info PoleTape Link. Might work for you.

I use this tape all the time. Great stuff. Just be sure your surface is clean. AND be sure you put it down straight. If you do it crooked....you're screwed.

Bob Cap
AAI
Gilbert, MN

bigben

I use this tape all the time. Great stuff. Just be sure your surface is clean. AND be sure you put it down straight. If you do it crooked....you're screwed.

Bob Cap
AAI
Gilbert, MN

I've got the sample of the product few days ago. It's a 2in wide pocket on a 13oz banner. I was able to brake the tape by inserting my fingers in the pocket and pull hard. I'm a bit worried that it would hold a 30inX100in banner (pocket on the 30in sides).

henryz

You can always outsource them for around $30ea. including shipping, I don't think you can beat that and move on to you next project.

Henry Z