• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Police Car pricing

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Hey Guys, what would you price this at? 9 of them all together. Just the 2 sides, Intermediate Reflective. Thanks,

Attachments

• smallsample.jpg
    smallsample.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 74

jfiscus

Rap Master
Where are they getting 9 new crown vics at?
All depts around here are getting chargers/interceptors this year...

Are you doing removal? (assuming these are used crown vics)
Are there door mouldings on the doors?
Who is doing prep/washing/etc?
Who is picking up/delivering the cars?
What is on the front/rear of the cars?

Use 3M 280 on the cars, no use using junk reflective; it's not worth the hassle. It looks like 4 simple pieces of Edge printed reflective & one other small green squiggle on each side, but it looks like ~24sf per side give or take.

HulkSmash

Hey Guys, what would you price this at? 9 of them all together. Just the 2 sides, Intermediate Reflective. Thanks,

There's your first mistake. Intermediate vinyl is junk. It will brown within the first year, and you'll get a lot of angry cops....

rydods

The crown vic picture is not the actual car just to show them what the graphics would look like.
We will be doing the removal-it's one color fairly simple (even though reflective is not simple.
one door moulding on the pass. doors which we will purposely avoid
we will prep and wash
they will deliver and pickup the cars
there will be just "florence county sheriff" on the back roughly 2" tall x 45" long one color

Salmoneye

Give em used callendared and just install over the old stuff. You notice that it doesn't say "To protect and serve" anymore so f' em. Wait, do I sound bitter?

OlsonSigns601

I would say you are looking at about $150 in 3 colors of reflective. (Using about 10' of vinyl per car) I use Oralite 5600 and Fellers has it for $744.50 for a 50 yrd roll. Being you are doing 9 cars that would be your best option. Maybe 2 ten yard rolls for green.

I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to making sure my vinyl is straight so I'm going to say 2 guys doing the 1st car is going to take a good 8 hours. The second car should only take 4-6 and by the time you get your rhythm going you might be down to 2 or 3 hours per car. So lets just say a week - (40 hours at at least $50 per hour for 2 guys brings your labor at $2000) That's $222 per car.

So your cost is $372 per car which means you should charge at least $600 to $700 per car in my opinion.

Also consider you aren't going to get paid upfront and that you'll have to wait until a city council meeting to get paid, you could be looking at a 45 day wait to get paid.

Also I would also ask that all cars get picked up and dropped off at once. Nothing is going to attract more business to your shop than 9 squad cars sitting out front getting lettered one by one throughout the week.

Good Luck. Take Lots of Pictures if you get the job, nothing cooler to show clients that you did the squad cars of the city you live in.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would say you are looking at about $150 in 3 colors of reflective. (Using about 10' of vinyl per car) I use Oralite 5600 and Fellers has it for $744.50 for a 50 yrd roll. Being you are doing 9 cars that would be your best option. Maybe 2 ten yard rolls for green.

I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to making sure my vinyl is straight so I'm going to say 2 guys doing the 1st car is going to take a good 8 hours. The second car should only take 4-6 and by the time you get your rhythm going you might be down to 2 or 3 hours per car. So lets just say a week - (40 hours at at least $50 per hour for 2 guys brings your labor at $2000) That's $222 per car.

So your cost is $372 per car which means you should charge at least $600 to $700 per car in my opinion.

Also consider you aren't going to get paid upfront and that you'll have to wait until a city council meeting to get paid, you could be looking at a 45 day wait to get paid.

Also I would also ask that all cars get picked up and dropped off at once. Nothing is going to attract more business to your shop than 9 squad cars sitting out front getting lettered one by one throughout the week.

Good Luck. Take Lots of Pictures if you get the job, nothing cooler to show clients that you did the squad cars of the city you live in.

I would also say $600/car at 9 cars, but based off of entirely different numbers/formula.

I do NOT like having more than 4/5 of a customer's cars here at once; takes up too much space. We're already renting space from the company next door... We usually have 4 or 5 here & drive them back to pick up the next 4/5 for each batch. First car should take 3-4 hours, following cars should not take more than 1/2 hours to intall.

HulkSmash

I would also say $600/car at 9 cars, but based off of entirely different numbers/formula.

I do NOT like having more than 4/5 of a customer's cars here at once; takes up too much space. We're already renting space from the company next door... We usually have 4 or 5 here & drive them back to pick up the next 4/5 for each batch. First car should take 3-4 hours, following cars should not take more than 1/2 hours to intall.

I wouldn't get out of bed for 600 a car.
ok you doubled your material cost. What about plotter time? Print time? Install time? Masking and weeding time? 4 hrs for the first car, then 1/2 for the 2nd? That makes 0 sense.

tsgstl

Me personally. I'd charge materials and a handful of PBA cards + 2 major ticket removals. Because that's the kind of guy I am.

I think he should pm everyone in the "scrap vinyl" thread for any reflective remnences and buy a lb of shrimp.

I mean could the original post be more vague? Now the price includes removal, that's not the actual car?

OlsonSigns601

ok you doubled your material cost. What about plotter time? Print time? Install time? Masking and weeding time? 4 hrs for the first car, then 1/2 for the 2nd? That makes 0 sense.

stay in bed and the rest us will make money.

first car will take longer because you have to lay it out, once you have your sizes its just a matter of repeating the process and the more you do the faster the process will be.

if that doesn't make sense to you then i doubt you've ever installed vinyl before.

visual800

submit your art to http://www.vinylgraphics.net/. They will price you out on a quote that you cannot afford to do yourself. and it will be better than engineered. They quoted me about $260.00 per police unit and I turned around and quoted $450.00 per unit with NO install. All I had to do was order and deliver. The reason the quote was low was they would have just as soon use the same people they had been using for the past 15 years at $400 per unit

I made a little money and changed them over to some better graphics. This company rocks. They products are clean and precise

rydods

Thanks Olsonsigns601. Your information was very helpful. Thank you all, I really appreciate it.

jfiscus

Rap Master

Sorry, late night; worked 15 hours yesterday...This is supposed to be 1 to 2 hours ea. Normally with multiple cars in the same shop getting the same graphics we will install all copies of an single piece on all cars (if that makes sense), then repeat the same process for the next piece. Getting into a rhythm is what saves me time.

Attachments

• boone county sheriffs vehicles small.jpg
    boone county sheriffs vehicles small.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 76

Kottwitz-Graphics

If they are anything like they are here, it don't matter what you price them at...it will still be too much.

I don't even bid the local police cars here anymore. They get min (3) bids, and the good ol' boy network kicks in, and the Sheriff calles his buddy that he goes goose hunting with, " that does them stickers" and tells him where he needs to be to "win" the bid.

And on top of that, you have to extend credit, which here can run out past 90 days...

Thanks, but no thanks!

Circleville Signs

If they are anything like they are here, it don't matter what you price them at...it will still be too much.

I don't even bid the local police cars here anymore. They get min (3) bids, and the good ol' boy network kicks in, and the Sheriff calles his buddy that he goes goose hunting with, " that does them stickers" and tells him where he needs to be to "win" the bid.

And on top of that, you have to extend credit, which here can run out past 90 days...

Thanks, but no thanks!

This.

jfiscus

Rap Master

Thanks, but no thanks!

Thankfully, sometimes you are that buddy. :thumb: