• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Postcard Layout

iSign

"if you are not part of the minority of homeowners with substandard framing and reduced storm damage resistance, why pay inflated premiums for those who are?"

"our 4 point inspection let's you reap the financial benefits from your investments in a well built and well maintained home!"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why did you remove the second one ?? How do you expect to receive any help ??

Guess I was just right in my statements in that other thread.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Musta been that frickin' worm and it was never really there....... and it's all in my imagination, again.

iSign

Bully posts and unrestrained animosity have their place (or I will at least confess to my holding an opinion to that effect) ...but sprinkle a little constructive advice in or consider giving it a rest Gino... maybe you and Jason have some unresolved dispute, but resolve it, or STFU about it, and all your unresolved angst over it ...it just makes you look bad, in my unsolicited opinion...

SignaramaFL

I'm not too keen on the beige background, it seems to make it seem... outdated?, but other than that I think it looks good. The tag line(s) are catching, and makes the reader interested in what you have to say... I am assuming the one uploaded is the back... where's the front?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Bully posts and unrestrained animosity have their place (or I will at least confess to my holding an opinion to that effect) ...but sprinkle a little constructive advice in or consider giving it a rest Gino... maybe you and Jason have some unresolved dispute, but resolve it, or STFU about it, and all your unresolved angst over it ...it just makes you look bad, in my unsolicited opinion...

Doug, I will try to hold back a little, but I honestly don't know why I should ?? I value your opinion on such matters, along with some others whom have shared similar concerns. Believe it or not.... I stay out of almost all of them, but he gets so carried away, I can't help myself. :doh:

I guess my concern is simple. It's the tongue in cheek kinda stuff that doesn't work for me. If I see something fully wrong, I want to help. However, whether these things happen in Addie's threads or someone else's.... many do not understand the repercussions of so much of what Addie says or insinuates. It's kinda like the Scarlet Letter syndrome.

Anyway, I'll try to heed your thoughts and graciously accept full blame for nagging Addie, but you know I'll never STFU about anything, anybody regardless of who tells me. :U Rock:

ForgeInc

Adtechia,

Considering how many times your designs have been bashed on here, and how many times you have been told to hire a designer, I can't believe you still post stuff for design critique.

You just don't get it, and never will. The fact that you think this could even be considered graphic design, let alone get paid for your design skills shows how absolutely out of touch you really are in this profession. You should stick to just being a broker only, and totally DROP doin ANY kind of design. I can guarantee you, you could hire someone right out of design school for $10-$15 hr, mark that up 1.5 or even 2 times, and still come out way ahead financially and MILES ahead from an image standpoint of the quality of services you offer your customers.

You asked for specifics, here are some. The headline typeface is horrible. The layout of the headline is bad, the space between the 2 lines is way too big. You should consider something more condensed or perhaps break up the headline into 3 lines.

Everything is WAY too crammed to the edges. Even if you keep the amount of info you have (Which is WAY too much as others have said) you could still give everything more room. Look at how close your body copy is to the photo. WAY too tight.

Consider what you are selling. WIND mitigation. How does this relate to wind? Why the random colors?? This has no pop, no concept, and is completely bland. How does this picture of a home relate to what you are selling? Perhaps you should have a photo of a structure destroyed by wind? Or photo of a "windstorm?" Or photo/illustration/icons of money being blown away by wind?

That said, if you DO wanna use a plain old photo of a house, why even bother buying a stock photo? Don't you have a digital camera? How many tons of houses are in Florida you could simply snap a picture of?

Honestly, I am saying this for your own good. There HAS to be a slew of young graphic designers in your area you could hire for next to nothing, and you could then spend your time going out and getting more broker work, rather than wasting your time doing design when you clearly don't have the skills and aren't growing at it either.

Although I am sure you like the design part of things and often convince yourself you are good at what you do "for your audience" Get past your ego, and do what is best for your business!

and even though in 'business'ese' it is commonplace to use either 'Homeowners Insurance' or the correct term 'Homeowner's Insurance'... personally I always encourage people to use the grammatically correct term, in this case 'Homeowner's Insurance'.

It is the little things, the details, that influence people's perception of a business. Personally, I would not let details like that influence me tremendously (on a conscious level)with a business such as this, versus a sign company for example... or another business working with language/presentation/etc.., but just like websites that read as if they were created in India or the Ukraine, with poorly written copy, or inappropriate presentation (for example a professional business conveying a professional message ( business to business ) but typing the message in a manner similar to a casual dialogue, as if they are 'talking to their bro's')... the little things, in my opinion, influence the overall view people form of a company on a subconscious level.

It is important to think about the details, and how they may influence people's perceptions of a company (even color choices can have an effect), there are many studies in regards to using an owner's photograph and the value (if any)..in my opinion that depends on many factors and is another topic for another day...my point is that it is important to consider how any marketing piece is going to influence customers (on both a conscious and subconscious level) especially when targetting new customers, this may be the only exposure that someone has of your company and first impressions are difficult to change.

Locals Find!

Why did you remove the second one ?? How do you expect to receive any help ??

Guess I was just right in my statements in that other thread.

Took it down due to suggestion about contact info. Then went to lunch. Have to rework it so I can post it back up.

Make sure your final draft is spelled correctly, your first wasn't.

Thank you, I am notoriously poor at spelling. I will have it spelled check by someone other than myself.

I'm not too keen on the beige background, it seems to make it seem... outdated?, but other than that I think it looks good. The tag line(s) are catching, and makes the reader interested in what you have to say... I am assuming the one uploaded is the back... where's the front?

I attempted the beige color to make it look like an older newspaper style. Just to make it stand out differently. Maybe, not a great idea. I am going to reload the back shortly.

and even though in 'business'ese' it is commonplace to use either 'Homeowners Insurance' or the correct term 'Homeowner's Insurance'... personally I always encourage people to use the grammatically correct term, in this case 'Homeowner's Insurance'.

It is the little things, the details, that influence people's perception of a business. Personally, I would not let details like that influence me tremendously (on a conscious level)with a business such as this, versus a sign company for example... or another business working with language/presentation/etc.., but just like websites that read as if they were created in India or the Ukraine, with poorly written copy, or inappropriate presentation (for example a professional business conveying a professional message ( business to business ) but typing the message in a manner similar to a casual dialogue, as if they are 'talking to their bro's')... the little things, in my opinion, influence the overall view people form of a company on a subconscious level.

It is important to think about the details, and how they may influence people's perceptions of a company (even color choices can have an effect), there are many studies in regards to using an owner's photograph and the value (if any)..in my opinion that depends on many factors and is another topic for another day...my point is that it is important to consider how any marketing piece is going to influence customers (on both a conscious and subconscious level) especially when targetting new customers, this may be the only exposure that someone has of your company and first impressions are difficult to change.

Thank you will take these things into consideration. The owners photo is important in our area as there are many dis-honest companies offering a similar service that aren't licensed or certified. The rules are kinda lax here on who can do these inspections on a state level. The insurance companies are the only ones holding people to any standard of professionalism.

Locals Find!

Adtechia,
...if you DO wanna use a plain old photo of a house, why even bother buying a stock photo? Don't you have a digital camera? How many tons of houses are in Florida you could simply snap a picture of?

I use stock photos so I don't have to worry about model release forms when using other peoples homes. If a home or location can be identified you have to have a signed model release form. Public domain laws concerning photography have changed drastically in recent years.

All those laws no fall under Homeland Security. I don't care to try to keep up on them all. I got enough problems. Much cheaper to pay $4.99 for a photo when I need it.

re: using owner's photos it was simply an example for reflection & thought..it is a topic that people rarely put any thought into & how it can influence people..both good & bad..and if it has any effect at all other than boosting ego (depending on the industry, the market, etc)

just a few thoughts not related to the project at hand..

i think it is important to remember that people other than the op who asks a question benefit from the topic, both now and in the future. i have had discussions with members of s101 that will not answer posts posed by members that they don't care for...we all lose in those situations.

there is a tremendous pool of talent at signs101, imo there is not a problem related to our industry that can not be solved by the participants here. it is important to remember that people other than the individual who poses a question will encounter that same problem. it is unfortunate for everyone who participates & for those who may need the solution to a problem in the future, if those who have information of value don't contribute because of their feelings for an individual. i understand it is reality but it is still unfortunate.

to the op...many comments have been made about your design ability. you need to invest in yourself to improve your skills, simply doing more work with the same tools that you possess is not going to do it, you need instruction in one form or another. i can not imagine it feels good to read the comments that you are not doing yourself or your business any favors, etc. and i really don't want to hop on that bus, it doesn't help anyone..the reality is that good design will improve your business, it will improve everyone's business.

not everyone has those skills, nor the time to develop them..and even with all the time in the world..some people simply are not cut out to be great designers, there is nothing wrong with that..there are many artists out there.

But good design partnered with effective, well thought out content, printed by a quality printer will produce a product that will generate results for your clients..if you consistently generate the results your clients desire you can charge whatever you want (within reason ;)..otherwise you are forced into the seemingly bottomless pit of people in this trade who have no design skills, no business acumen, no skill/specialty/plan, who offer nothing other than low prices...fighting to see who can sell things cheaper to get the next job.

there are many ways to make it in this industry without being a designer, there is NOTHING wrong with being a job shop..where the customer brings you a job and you produce it. The frustration is when people masquerade as professional designers, copywriters, etc. Misleading customers who then have to be re-educated when they realize that they need skills beyond what they have received.

Here's a good book for review, but there are TONS MORE...

Before & After: How to Design Cool Stuff; John McWade

Marco

To FORGE (Sell sell sell)

FORGE, Forge, forgetabouit, maybe it's you who's not getting it and never will. I know a guy who picked river rocks, painted them, and sold them as, yes you know, "paper weights" and is now probably better off than you and I combined.
Funny thing, when I joined signs101, I had many say "you never make it"; "give it up". I was a bit intimidated at first. The writings were nothing close to what I expected in this forum. Where was the constructive advice/criticism? I knew than where my heart was, in it for good so here I am, doing what I like to do, having fun, making a hundred here a thousand there. And to those who wonder how the heck I made it, I say this: keep at it, keep learning and 'sell sell sell'. If you like to see where it all started for me take a look at my mexican grocery store thread.:smile:

signworxonline

I was going to say that is looked like an incredibly cheap, standard newspaper ad that you see tucked away in the back pages of the free college times ... but then I read you were somewhat going for that look so I suppose job well done. :p

I would find a new design inspiration though personally ... looks cheap and tacky and is doing nothing but going straight into the trash ... google search "good post card designs" and browse around to get some inspiration. Something should stand out to you and when it does make sure you post the results here for all to see!

John Butto

Adtechia, keep up the good work, your artwork and layout are top notch. Cannot see anything that needs improving, you are inspiring to all of us, I stand in awe Sir.

Mader Design

Adtechia, keep up the good work, your artwork and layout are top notch. Cannot see anything that needs improving, you are inspiring to all of us, I stand in awe Sir.

Lol seriously? Just like a few have said, get yourself a designer. While you sit for hours trying to lay out a simple postcard and wasting time and money reworking over and over. You could pay someone to get it right, quickly. Someone who knows color theory and proper typography skills. You're making beginner mistakes and suggestions seem to be ignored.

Techman

Why the hell you got insurance call in the headline when its a services call,,

A question in the headline is good,, But a off beat statement gets more attention.

The back side just plain sucks,.

Use the three point method and get it more organized.

The best thing to do is get a professional Adcopy writer to handle this type of work. There is just too much involved with it. One word will either make or break your campaign. Stick to your brokerage and let real copy writers handle the ad copy. I promise you that what you think is good in ad copy is actually the worst of all.

I've been studying this for a long time. Sometimes I get a good response and at times the response sucks. But overall a well written copy will do much better.