• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Posterization filter

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I'm seeking a posterization filter that will produce results like those in the Charles Schwab TV commercials. If one exists. The filter produces rather regular tracts of well defined color, not blotchy undisciplined blobs as does all of the posterization filters I've seen to date.

If someone knows if such a thing exists and, more importantly, where one might find it, I'd be forever deeper in your debt.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I believe that the base animation is vector drawn over real images and animated in a process called Rotoscope.

GK

I believe that the base animation is vector drawn over real images and animated in a process called Rotoscope.

Correct, Rotoscope was the same type of process they used in the movie A Scanner Darkly by doing interpolated rotoscoping. The exact process is protected by Flat Black Films and although there is no exact plug-in yet I do have a tutorial for you if it may help. Time consuming though.

Tutorial Here (Its in Illustrator but you can do the same in Photoshop)

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
You might also try playing with "gaussian blur" and "cutout" filters in Photoshop as well.

R08

Filte forge Comic filter:

image.jpg

There are others... gotta go
try ya later

Last edited:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

That's what I figured. The color panels are far too well done to be the product of any algorithm I've ever seen.

There is some software available but the results are too crude for my purposes. I guess I'll just do it by hand...

R08

well filter forge has controls.
Don't know if this is close enough but it may get you there with some tweaking.

image2.jpg

GK

This is a blend of multiple layers with different opacities and blending modes. Each of the layers had a certain filter tweaked to how I wanted it. Its a far stretch from the actual process, but this took about 5 minutes compared to how long it would really take -- so it may be worth it.

Cutout, Dry Brush, Paint Daubs, and Poster Edges. The last and final layer was duplicated and then set to a gaussian blur 1.5% then go to fade gaussian blur with hard light and apply that layer over the original using the soft light blending mode.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 88