• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Premature Print Fading

rdm01

We do fleet graphics for a client, and the design has an element on the hood. We got one back in that we did 1 year ago from a body shop that had some repairs done and needed partial graphics replaced.

I noticed the hood graphic looked noticeably faded. I took a pre-printed one we had in stock and compared. There was indeed a huge amount of fading. I have attached a photo of it, but the photo doesn't really do it justice. I would say it looks about twice as bad as the photo shows.

Traditionally we do cut vinyl wherever possible, but this client requires that their PMS colors be accurate (funny they haven't noticed this). When printing we claim a lifespan of 3-5+ years, depending on exposure. Clearly not the case. We also mention yellows, oranges, and reds are more susceptible to fading. We try to educate the client as much as possible, and give clear and accurate life spans. I feel like if I say "that's going to be shot in a year" they will go to competitors nearby who are "guaranteeing" 5 years.

Print Details:
Epson GS6000 (eco-solvent)
3M IJ180-c
3M 8518
Printed and installed in May 2014

What is the expected timeline for a hood graphic?
Is this an acceptable amount of fading?
Does everyone experience this, or is this a hardware/material issue?
How would you approach the project?

Thank you for your response.

Attachments

• fading.jpg
    fading.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 145

J Hill Designs

usually the lifespan given by film manufacturers is always vertical exposure (basically not ALWAYS directly facing the sun (up))

Kwiksigns

wookie
that looks about right to me. I wrapped a hood and less than 2 years later it was really faded. He left it in the sun and ridiculous MD weather everyday. You can look up warranty of materials and I am pretty sure non are more than a year on horizontal surfaces...

Billct2

Truck hoods are about the worst environment you can put a vinyl graphic in, Heat from below, UV radiation from above, bugs & debris....

TXFB.INS

yep that is about right.

horizontal surface
yellow - known to fade faster than other colors

if you are look for less fade you will have to use plotter vinyl since that material is the intended color from the manufacture
Printed material is only changing the surface with inks

you will have to visit 3M for the exact time-frame they warranty for horizontal surfaces.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Are you using Epson's ink for the GS6000? If so their yellow ink is known to fade when outdoors for about 1 to 1.5 years.

rdm01

How about latex, would it have this issue?

I feel it is important to let clients know this going forward. Communication may be tricky, especially with other shops not conveying such information. I'd like to be able to say "any wrap will have this issue," but may be wrong if other print technologies are not subject to such issues.

Billct2

I don't know anything that I would give a warranty on a hood, or roof.
Even cut vinyl fails "prematurely" on a hood.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I think your culprit is EPSONs crap yellow ink...

We have prints from our original L25500 Latex 3+ years ago that have minimal fading. and some that are unlaminated banners from 3 years ago with minimal fading. But it all comes down to environment and UV exposure.