• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print head damage, is ribbon replaceable?

GatorTPK

603AE3B4-BE3F-4708-A5B1-16EAC6A1B1BD.jpeg
E372BDC7-E647-4E90-A878-119E809B2E2F.jpeg
EFF0870F-91E0-4BD9-B7E2-622BEA4FED8D.jpeg
308E14C9-72A4-4F04-A931-F903471C9955.jpeg

These are photos of a head from a Mutoh VJ-1324XS that wasn’t printing well on some channels. I quickly saw the ribbon was torn on BOTH sides! I’m surprised that it still prints anything. (How do these ribbons usually get torn?)
I didn’t remove the head off the manifold to see if the ribbon was soldered to the head. Are the torn ribbons (and the connector board soldered to the ribbons) replaceable? I only see the entire head assembly for sale.

GatorTPK

looks like you have had a lot of head strikes

only way is to repace the hole head

Thanks for your comment. I was afraid of that, needing to replace the whole head.

You mentioned a lot of head strikes? As in the head hitting something while printing? Before I saw the printer, the owner said someone else had attempted to fix it. We were thinking that person had accidentally caused the damage trying to take the head apart. Could head strikes while printing really cause that damage?

GatorTPK

I found a new print-head at a site called demawati.com. Reviews call it a safe site (the website itself), but still seems like a scam at $576.72. Can anyone confirm that this site is a scam? (I did find one website listing websites that are scams, demawati was one of them.)

woolly

i would be tempted to try and dismantle the head if you can get the cable out without damage then find a old head for the cable

drying up in the mean time could be a problem
only by the head from tried and trusted dealers yes they are ridiculously expensive

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Unfortunately that cable is hard wired into the head. Also, $500 for a DX7 is almost certainly a scam but if you go for it and it works out let me know!. Here is a link to the head on our website. We are the only dealer in America selling OEM heads from Mutoh America at this price. Everyone else is either higher priced or the head is from overseas. The head also comes with 4 free dampers, which normally run $140 each, and free phone tech support from 3 full time certified technicians.

rjssigns

Unfortunately that cable is hard wired into the head. Also, $500 for a DX7 is almost certainly a scam but if you go for it and it works out let me know!. Here is a link to the head on our website. We are the only dealer in America selling OEM heads from Mutoh America at this price. Everyone else is either higher priced or the head is from overseas. The head also comes with 4 free dampers, which normally run $140 each, and free phone tech support from 3 full time certified technicians.

THIS^^^^^

Buy once cry once. If the OP would even get the print head from dimwitted.com(intentional spelling) bet it won't come with dampers or phone support.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
How American of me to think everyone on this site is in America! lol We do ship to Australia but you can probably find a dealer closer to you who can get you one as well.

GatorTPK

THIS^^^^^

Buy once cry once. If the OP would even get the print head from dimwitted.com(intentional spelling) bet it won't come with dampers or phone support.

I bet you're right! I like the idea of having good customer support and tech support from Solventinkjet.com.

GatorTPK

Thanks VanderJ. I like what I see at your website. I was looking at DigiPrint Supplies for the head, they're here in Florida but they don't have the support you have and I don't think they have it in stock either. Do you have DG-43988 Print Head in Stock? Would you be able to ship out on Friday, November 30? (Just to be sure, the part comes with everything I need, the whole print-head assembly, no extra brackets I need?)

Also, I'd like to get some ink lines/tubes. Are all the lines in the VJ-1324XS 3mm internal by 4 mm external diameter? Or are the lines going from the Y-Type Splitter to the dampers 2mm x 4mm? I pulled cyan to the dampers last night and this morning air returned from the dampers to the Y-splitter . Are most air leaks from the connection at the damper and manifold, or where the line connects to the damper, or can new dampers be leaky too?

I'll need new ribbon cables, DG-42385 or DG-41072. Are those two parts the same thing, just brand name and generic? (I found the DG-41072 generic at DigiPrint Supplies)

Do you have any other suggestions of what I may need, o-rings, etc.? I didn't get a photo of the last nozzle test, but it showed one perfect Magenta, one perfect Yellow, two partial Cyan, and two partial black blocks/steps.

Thanks for any help you can provide!