• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print on transparent media?

matejgt

Hello!
I have a problem, when I want to print on transparent media, I have bad results, the color is not saturated! I tried various settings (3 overprint, diferent icc..), but still havent get good results!
How you set the printer for printing on transparent media? I have roland CJ500 Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Solvent ink is opaque - without the white point behind it you're not going to get opacity.

One workaround I found (if you don't have white ink capabilities) is to use a matte overlaminate on top which will give the whole thing a finish similar to dusted vinyl and will almost make the inks opaque.

I think you meant solvent ink is transparent. We've always described it as painting with snot. Same consistency. :omg:

Without a white base to print onto, you'll hafta figure out putting the clear vinyl on something with a very light color. If you're going to hang it in a window or doorway, you'll need to re-think it and use some other media. :thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:smile: it never was a spelling issue. We were merely correcting your thinking. It was wrong words, not wrong letters, which made your statement(s) contradicting. If gone unnoticed, the rest of the world would never know............... the rest of the story.

Last edited:

H&H Group

Solvent ink isn't opaque - without the white point behind it you're not going to get opacity.

One workaround I found (if you don't have white ink capabilities) is to use a matte overlaminate on top which will give the whole thing a finish similar to dusted vinyl and will almost make the inks opaque.

Has anyone ever tried using white spray paint on top of a reverse print on clear vinyl to create the white point? I ask because we want to contour cut lettering and logo that are reverse printed on clear but I can't figure out how to do it with white laminate. Once you laminate, you have no registration marks to cut out the letters. laminating after you contour cut obviously won't work. Thats why i was thinking to print, contour cut, then hit with white spray paint, then weed? Thoughts?

J Hill Designs

Has anyone ever tried using white spray paint on top of a reverse print on clear vinyl to create the white point? I ask because we want to contour cut lettering and logo that are reverse printed on clear but I can't figure out how to do it with white laminate. Once you laminate, you have no registration marks to cut out the letters. laminating after you contour cut obviously won't work. Thats why i was thinking to print, contour cut, then hit with white spray paint, then weed? Thoughts?

put tape over your reg marks, laminate with white, then physically cut out the white where it sits on the tape

needless to say, your white should have white adhesive side, not grey :thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber

If you're talking white paint out of an ordinary rattle can, I wouldn't. Unless you are spraying with a good grade paint out a real spray system, you're only gonna be as good as your weakest link and that would be from a $4.00 rattle can. Not a good idea.