• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printers for invoices and proofs

cartoad

Well another desktop ink jet printer bit the dust today, while cheap and the cartriges are not bad pricewise compared to the laser 2600 we use for proofs, they don't last long. Add to that when the ink jet printer is replaced it is yet another style of ink cassett! Currently we have 4 printers, one on each desk, one behind the counter for invoices and estimates, and the 2600 for color proofs. And currently only two are working.

I need to get some or one heavy duty economical printer to use for the store, that prints a good enough copy for proofs. The cost of ink/toner is getting out of hand and this leak from the bank account needs to be plugged!

So does anyone have any suggestions as to what printers hold up and the ink/tonner is reasonable to purchase. Printing less is not really much of an option, and recycled cartridges the print quality is not what we want to have on our invoices and proofs.

Sorry for such a long rant, just irratated with another printer going bad and the cost of cartridges.

iSign

I have three identical HP printers. the model number is irrelevant, because I know they are long since discontinued, but the concept is relevant. Buying three matching printers is convenient for obvious reasons, the greatest of which is the use of identical cartridges.

That said, the though of shifting to a laser printer has become more interesting to me lately. you seem to already have one though, so i have to ask myself why you would not consider it the more affordable option if it really was.

I was under the impression that spending over $500 on a good printer might still be the more affordable choice over an $80 inkjet printer once the ink costs over even as little as 1 or 2 years are factored in. Do you think that theory might be true, and if so, is there a reason why it wouldn't effect you purchasing decision?

Locals Find!

You could always call your local copier supplier. I have recently looked into a color copier/printer/fax machine used w/ a service contract. The machine itself was only $1000 and $30 a month (Based on 3000 copies/prints a month) for the service contract that included the toner supplies. All we would have to buy would be the paper.

You can find lots of good deals on these machines due to the number of offices / businesses downsizing or closing. Its put a whole lot of inventory onto the market.

If you spend more than $30 a month in ink now. It might be a worthy investment.

Letterbox Mike

I'm with iSign and Adtechia, look into either a nicer networkable color laser printer or a color copier/multifunction printer and network it. Why have 5 printers consuming lots of ink when you could have one much better and more efficient printer that everyone shares.

Xerox even has a program where they give you a fairly high-end Phaser color printer if you agree to buy the consumables from them and go through a certain amount a month. There are good deals and incentives out there for more productive and cost effective printing, just don't go looking at an office supply store, go to someplace that deals specifically in printers/copiers for offices and businesses.

I have an OKI color laser printer and an HP single color laser here that I use.
I gave up using inkjet desk printers a long time ago, the headaches that come with them got the best of me and I gave in to using laser printers.
While the toner cartridges for laser are more expensive you get more prints out of them then you will using inkjet plus no worries about clogged heads or anything like that. I buy aftermarket toner for mine, they are much cheaper than the name brand and they work just as well.

jiarby

I have an HP 5SI and 5P (both B/W Lasers).... The 5SI is a tank, prints duplex on 11x17. There is always one or two on Craigslist. It is easily 15yrs old.

I do (now & then) want to do a color proof, but usually just email a low res jpg instead.

Brandon708

I just bought a new printer last week.

Its a HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus

It's 50% less cost than laserjet printers and prints just as fast. It also is pretty cool because its wirelss,printer,fax,copy,scanner, double sided print and can access the internet. You might of seen the commercials on tv about it. It also comes in a version just a printer minus everything else.

I love it so far.

link http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/18972-18972-238444-12019-3328086-4083864-4116998-4116999.html

Mosh

NO inkjet printer will ever cost less that a laser by the time you figure out
how much you spend on ink. We use a Konica Mniolta color laser for proofs
and invoices.

Brandon708

jfiscus

Rap Master

They are.

I have one of those HP Officejetpro8500's linked above at my KY office, have some kind of a Dell multifunction color laser at Cincinnati.
I hate the wet prints that come out of the inkjet, as any colorful print/proof that comes out takes forever to dry, and the paper curls, etc.

Get a color laser multifunction and dont look back. As others have suggested, Xerox has soem great printer contract deals; leasing one of those provides another (in-house) avenue for revenue for your business. Many local printers here lease these laser printers that print up to 12.5x18 sheets for short run full color jobs. In fact, I'd bet YOUR most recent color business cards were probably printed on one without you even knowing.

I would not personally suggest buying a dell printer though (we got a deal impossible to pass up on ours) as you have to buy most parts direct from them ($$$); but you can buy 3rd party toners for cheap at least.

gabagoo

My Epson 880 printer has gone mental. I use it to print up jobs and orders. Have had it for a long time, but now all the lights flash and I cant get it to bring the cartridges out to change. I now use this hp vivera printer I got for free with the purchase of a laptop some time ago. I use 3rd party ink guys who refill the old cartridges. I am not fond of the printer.

I have a Canon laser fax, wish I could use that to print with,but it has no connection for a computer.

I might go out and buy a refurbished laser printer.