• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing and laminating a panel for a large sign board

Stacey K

I like making signs
So I have my first "panel print" on my new printer! 54" printer and I need to print panels for a 5'x10' ACM board. My questions...

1. Do I print the panel, laminate it then overlap it on the signboard? I would assume yes?
2. How much should I overlap it? With typical vinyl I would overlap about 1/8", is that good, too little or too much?

I assume that overlapping the panel over the laminate is not going to be an issue, correct? Thanks!

Stacey K

I like making signs
I might do a vertical seam just because the artwork has vertical sound waves so it might blend well that way. Thanks all, just wanted to make sure I'm on the right path, hate to ruin a bunch of material LOL

2B

the short edge for the seam (when possible),
1" or more for the overlap, give you more alignment room
try to "overlap" where the seam is best "hidden" within the design

when you start doing vehicles, trailers, in particular, is when the order becomes more important.
Starting from the back work to the front, you want the wind to slide down the graphics and NOT catch any seams

RabidOne

We try to put the seam where it is less conspicuous. Luckily we design most of the stuff we print in house so we can plan it that way.
Default overlap here is .5"

ikarasu

Your brain sees a vertical seam a lot easier than a horizontal seam - but if your seaming along a color break that goes vertical or something there's nothing wrong with that.

We usually do a .25" seam and place it wherever there's no texts or alignments. On wraps where were hand applying the seam we usually add a .5" seam just incase.

You're new to latex and this is your first seam job right?

Make sure you rotate your artwork so the seamed pieces get printed on the same side of the printer. And if at all possible... Attach it to the take up before printing any part of it so the tension is the same throughout and your panels line up perfectly. I've heard horror stories, but never experienced it... But I seem to be the odd duck as it happens to most people.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Your brain sees a vertical seam a lot easier than a horizontal seam - but if your seaming along a color break that goes vertical or something there's nothing wrong with that.

We usually do a .25" seam and place it wherever there's no texts or alignments. On wraps where were hand applying the seam we usually add a .5" seam just incase.

You're new to latex and this is your first seam job right?

Make sure you rotate your artwork so the seamed pieces get printed on the same side of the printer. And if at all possible... Attach it to the take up before printing any part of it so the tension is the same throughout and your panels line up perfectly. I've heard horror stories, but never experienced it... But I seem to be the odd duck as it happens to most people.
Just spouting off here but wouldn't a 1/4" seam would be pretty noticeable, like a big hump? I'd think that the farther apart the ridges are, the less your eye will catch it. I agree on horizontal, a vertical seam would stick out like a sore thumb since you naturally read things horizontally.

ikarasu

Just spouting off here but wouldn't a 1/4" seam would be pretty noticeable, like a big hump? I'd think that the farther apart the ridges are, the less your eye will catch it. I agree on horizontal, a vertical seam would stick out like a sore thumb since you naturally read things horizontally.
I guess that depends on viewing distance. Most of the stuff we overlap is big, so you're not going to be up close enough to see it either way.

But wouldn't you see a 1" bump just as well, if not easier than a 1/4" bump if you were close enough to notice it?

We usually butt seam if it's in a location that will notice a join. Ive realized as "sign people" were programed to notice stuff like seams though... Most customers can't find a seam until we point it out to them

Stacey K

I like making signs
The final sign will have something like this in the background, with "sound waves" so I was thinking vertical might be pretty hidden...maybe not?

1647008647248.png

2B

The final sign will have something like this in the background, with "sound waves" so I was thinking vertical might be pretty hidden...maybe not?
vertical seam, have the seam BETWEEN the letters.
there will ALWAYS be some shifting when printing and since you are laminating there could be stretching.
again you are trying to HIDE the seam and keeping the seam in the DARK area will help

1647013735343.png

Eduardo58

We Usually Run a 1 inch overlap. Print all, lam, trim, and then overlap the finished panels.
I’m trying to butt my seams together but am having a hard time with Flexi12 to accomplish that. It won’t cut the last line where it butts together. Very frustrating.