• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Magnet Material

dypinc

Too much heat...... where...... how....... to what ??

Like I previously posted I had a roll that would not take heat at all.

Last rolls I got .030" | Matte White DigiMag I can print at DT 55°C, CT 90°C HA 45°C, 24 Pass. AT 95°C Curing it will start warping the material, but might just have to make adjustments based on the environment your printer is in.

Also make sure the printer is hot when you load the .030 magnetic material.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like I previously posted I had a roll that would not take heat at all.

Last rolls I got .030" | Matte White DigiMag I can print at DT 55°C, CT 90°C HA 45°C, 24 Pass. AT 95°C Curing it will start warping the material, but might just have to make adjustments based on the environment your printer is in.

Also make sure the printer is hot when you load the .030 magnetic material.

Maybe I'm missing something here again, but we have several methods of lettering magnetics.

1. The old way is hand lettering paint or gold leaf directly to the magnetic material. No problems, except it takes a long time.
  2. Next is die-cut vinyl whcih we weed and apply directly to the magnetic. No problems, except it also can be time-consuming.
  3. Inkjet print to cast vinyl and laminate onto magnetic material. No problem and it works great.
  4. Flatbed printing comes along and we print directly to the magnetic material with UV inks and curing. No problems and the fastest way.

Most of the time, our flatbed is tied up and we find it cumbersome to stop everything just to run a set of magnetics through, so we print to the cast vinyl on our inkjet and we're done. Move forward to the last 6 or 8, 10 months. Many of the sets we laminated to the magnetic are curling up and going bad within weeks to months of selling them, forcing us to re-do what we thought was customer negligence. It happened to our own magnetics and WE KNOW what we do is right. Call Magnum and they tell us now that you cannot laminate cast or calendared to their product. My suppliers say they never heard of this, friends say they never heard of this and many people here on s101 never heard of this. Years ago, the distributors would tell us, rather than paint your materials a different color, just flood a vinyl background on and then continue with die-cuts. Now, all of a sudden that's a forbidden taboo.

Anyway, other than our lamps, heat doesn't touch our magnetics when using the inkjet method. Not even in the laminating stage. We do it by hand. No amount of edge pen will stop what's happening to our magnetics, either.

We don't run the magnetic material through our inkjet printer. Never have, never will. Magnum tells us it's the extra vinyl laminate of the print causing this. Nothing to do with heat. Just an incapable combination and they say they didn't change a thing. So, in essence, something which worked 100% of the time across the board, suddenly no longer works on a uniform basis...... and it's our fault. :rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, right. I highly doubt we're gonna do that. That seems as if it would open a whole new nother can of worms.

royster13

You do not like "worms"?......If you doing even a small volume it is viable.....Also, gives you a way to deal with material that becomes un-magnetized....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope, not at this point. Worms can be a nuisance, if you're not the early bird. I'll just go back to flatbed printing them and upping our price. :thumb: