• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Reds

Intense01

I can't seem to get my Red's figured out. It seems like no matter what profile I use they are all still very splotchy and not a good looking red. I know reds are pretty tough to print. Anyone with a Mutoh 1204 have any luck printing out some nice reds? Mine look are fairly translucent and you can see the white from the media coming though in some spots.

Randya, do you have any tips/tricks to get my reds printing better?

OlsonSigns601

I have a JV1204 and my reds print pretty good.

For instance, the red in my logo prints pretty red to me.

What RIP Software are you using?

tsgstl

sounds like you have a issue, not a red problem

check your nozzle with a test
make 4 rectangles approx 11" wide
make each of the boxes a true cmyk
IE double click a color make sure it is in cmyk and adjust one 100%c 0%m 0%y 0%k
Do this for each of the cmyk colors
print it
This will give you a good idea of which of your 4 heads is not printing correctly

Intense01

sounds like you have a issue, not a red problem

check your nozzle with a test
make 4 rectangles approx 11" wide
make each of the boxes a true cmyk
IE double click a color make sure it is in cmyk and adjust one 100%c 0%m 0%y 0%k
Do this for each of the cmyk colors
print it
This will give you a good idea of which of your 4 heads is not printing correctly

Thank you, I did a nozzle check and it was perfect. I printed out the rectangles and they came out really good also. The only issue I see is that on the yellow there are a little red, blue dots. Hard to see but they are there. I printed with color correction on so that might have been the problem.

OlsonSigns601

It might be your selected color profile.

I use these as my settings:
attachment.php

I've tried using other profiles such as the 3M IJ180C, but on that one I experienced the grays came out with a little purple.

I've been using this profile on everything and I have not had any problems with my colors turning out.

I'm not sure if that will help, but it might be worth a try.

Attachments

• FlexiSettings.png
    FlexiSettings.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 111

Intense01

It might be your selected color profile.

I use these as my settings:
attachment.php

I've tried using other profiles such as the 3M IJ180C, but on that one I experienced the grays came out with a little purple.

I've been using this profile on everything and I have not had any problems with my colors turning out.

I'm not sure if that will help, but it might be worth a try.

I will try it. I have been using graphics2 forever. What is the difference with Quality 4? Do you have the "color mapping" box checked in production manager? I just tried printing a swatch and it turned out the same as graphics 2. I am lost on this issue.

Intense01

What are your settings if you go into production manager and click on the 3rd Tab over on the Job properties screen? When you click on the "Advanced.." Mine are Bitmap, Perceptual and the rest are relative colorimetric.

OlsonSigns601

What are your settings if you go into production manager and click on the 3rd Tab over on the Job properties screen? When you click on the "Advanced.." Mine are Bitmap, Perceptual and the rest are relative colorimetric.

This?
attachment.php

Attachments

• FlexiSettings2.png
    FlexiSettings2.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 110

Intense01

I worked on this all weekend and have had NO success.

Are reds supposed to be a solid red or can they have pixels or dots in it to make the red? The red looks ok from far but at 6" away or so it is visible that there are just dots.

Any other suggestions?

Jthompson Designs

The Red in your Head will NEVER come out like you would Like it, you wont Get fire engine red unless you up the saturation with double strikes which defeats the ink cost you were suppose to be saving LOL. I went through this whole thing with Mutoh techs for like three weeks when I got my printer sad to say I'm still trying and they gave up pretty much. Good luck and remember what you see on your screen unless it is calibrated will not be what prints exactly.... RBG red is diffrent than CMYK red :toasting:

Intense01

The more I look at the reds it looks like it is a banding issue. It is not my PF adjustment, I just adjusted it again for this media. The banding seems to be going vertically. I am not sure if that is even adjustable.

Jthompson Designs

I did both and they turned out orange'ish and were pretty splotchy looking. Not a true red at all. Should I be printing without color correction on?

Try it without and see what you get? I don't and this is the red I get

Attachments

• 7084479807_ee9ac06858_b.jpg
    7084479807_ee9ac06858_b.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:

Intense01

Thanks, that looks fairly close to what I am getting. Mine looks a little more orange. Could the head height have anything to do with it banding? I always run it on High. My reds look decent in some parts of the swatch but it looks like it is not the same the vinyl. Almost like it is too much ink and it isn't drying or printing correctly.