• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing trailer wrap suggestions please.

Hi All,
I'm printing a 290"x90" trailer wrap that has a partial transparancy. I'm having a tough time trying to divide the transparency in Corel without it going solid. I tried a smaller panel split on my roland & it works fine that way. My concern is, Do I want to just have the roland divide something that long? the end result would be 6 48"x90" panels all at one shot. I have not printed anything that long before & am worried about skew & the print ending up off the paper. Also, does anyone know of a way to cut inbetween panels using the machine?
My only other option is to find a way to cut through the transparency without it going back solid white.
I open to any & all suggestions.
Thanks.

somcalmetim

Not exactly sure how you are using transparency...I tend to flatten my artwork with transparency or lenses before printing so there is no funny business...the rip is gonna make a big tiff out of everything anyway...
but Versaworks will panel something like that no problem...if you line the material up straight and tight coming off the roll to start it should print one shot but on the tile screen in versaworks you can click on panels and turn them on/off so it only prints the panels you want...you can print a couple panels and stop it if you want, do a sheet cut and then just print panel 2-6

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Read the thread title, thought I could help, but reading this I'm totally confused. If it's on a trailer, wth does it need to be transparent,? And why, on a trailer, can you not just tile it in the rip? Sooo many questions. What are you trying to do? exactly?

Manuel Upton

Not exactly sure how you are using transparency...I tend to flatten my artwork with transparency or lenses before printing so there is no funny business...the rip is gonna make a big tiff out of everything anyway...
but Versaworks will panel something like that no problem...if you line the material up straight and tight coming off the roll to start it should print one shot but on the tile screen in versaworks you can click on panels and turn them on/off so it only prints the panels you want...you can print a couple panels and stop it if you want, do a sheet cut and then just print panel 2-6
I would also recommend clicking the "Place alternated" check box in the "Clip and Tile" menu in Versaworks. It will auto rotate every other print in the batch. At least with our printer its a must. If not the colors at the seems don't match.

amw

Longtime Members
Read the thread title, thought I could help, but reading this I'm totally confused. If it's on a trailer, wth does it need to be transparent,? And why, on a trailer, can you not just tile it in the rip? Sooo many questions. What are you trying to do? exactly?
Your misunderstanding. The transparency they are referring to is in the art work. Not the medial its being printed on.

Thank You for the information. The artwork is not mine. It was sent by the client. I'm still learning the intricacies of versa works so your information helps much.

I am still learning about Versa Works & my question did have to do with tiling. Another member answered. Thanks.

somcalmetim

Thank You for the information. The artwork is not mine. It was sent by the client. I'm still learning the intricacies of versa works so your information helps much.
It gets a bit more complicated if you are also Contour Cutting as you can only stop between crop marks and start it cutting again...but for large panels with overlap I dont bother machine cutting....
Normally sending to Versa I take any artwork with transparency/lenses/drop shadows and convert it all to 150dpi@full size bitmap and send with CutContour vector if required...a bitmap rendered with transparency is ok but m/any un-rasterized Corel lenses, shadows and transparency effects can look different when rendered by versa...print a small 4 or 5 inch tall version to check...some transparency effects "Multiply, Difference, Subtract" look one way one screen and then do nothing or completely the opposite when rendered by the versa rip...if you break the drop shadow "lens" components off a vector shape and convert it to a bitmap with transparency it renders better over the layers underneath.

signdudegraphix

You need to right click to turn the panels on & off in versaworks. We try not to run more than 30 feet just to be safe with our laminator. The roll gets too heavy in my opinion. Trailer wraps are a major part of our business. Love applying to flat surfaces.