• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Translucent to keep the reflective.

trafficbarriersolutions

TRAFFIC & BARRIER SOLUTIONS, LLC
Hi,
I am having trouble with my Roland TruVis VG3-540. I am printing on Avery Dennison T-6500 White High Intensity Prismatic and the prints are not making it translucent and cannot see the reflective. Is there a way to make the reflective translucent when printing on Roland? And does VersaWorks have something that can make the print translucent on Reflective like Avery Dennison?

373310824_192755880481240_8588918927769008082_n.jpg

logotogogo

You will see it when light hits it, in the dark. It is very hard inside to see the effect of any printed reflective material, but it is there. Look at your pic and you can see the shapes. It isn't something you can shine a light onto directly in a see it. Wait until dark and take it outside and set it down somewhere then go away a distance and shine light in its general direction. I think it will surprise you

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Hi,
I am having trouble with my Roland TruVis VG3-540. I am printing on Avery Dennison T-6500 White High Intensity Prismatic and the prints are not making it translucent and cannot see the reflective. Is there a way to make the reflective translucent when printing on Roland? And does VersaWorks have something that can make the print translucent on Reflective like Avery Dennison?

View attachment 167824

You can even see it reflecting in the picture..........not much else you can ask from a printed reflective sign.

Solvent ink is not opaque, so the reflective properties will still behave as intended when that sample is hit by a light source.

MrDav3C

Is it ok to print onto reflective with a TrueVis? I was under the impression that this can burn out print heads? Perhaps this an outdated problem?

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Is it ok to print onto reflective with a TrueVis? I was under the impression that this can burn out print heads? Perhaps this an outdated problem?
The only printers that have any issues like that are UV printers because the curing lamps can reflect back onto the print head and cure the ink on the head. Even with those it's more an issue with highly reflective materials like printing on mirrors and chrome surfaces, not reflective vinyls, and ways to get by. Solvent, EcoSol (like your Roland), and Latex inks are air cured and don't have that issue, and they work well on reflective vinyl, I print to them all the time for signs, emergency vehicle graphics, decals... They reflect just fine through the ink in the dark when light hits them.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you are printing with a reflective profile. The profile will lay down less ink than your normal profiles. Also, blue is a tough reflective color in general. I also agree with the others, its probably fine.

MrDav3C

The only printers that have any issues like that are UV printers because the curing lamps can reflect back onto the print head and cure the ink on the head. Even with those it's more an issue with highly reflective materials like printing on mirrors and chrome surfaces, not reflective vinyls, and ways to get by. Solvent, EcoSol (like your Roland), and Latex inks are air cured and don't have that issue, and they work well on reflective vinyl, I print to them all the time for signs, emergency vehicle graphics, decals... They reflect just fine through the ink in the dark when light hits them.
Thanks for this reply & the info. I suspect the information we were provided with years ago is outdated or even just incorrect but has always left me reluctant to print onto reflective in fear of damaging / degrading the print heads so great to have some additional info!

Johnny Best

You want the letters(message) to be reflective so not having the blue show up as much makes it look good for that sign.