• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems with GR2-640

heyskull

We have owned this plotter for just over a year now which came with our VersaExpress RF-640.
This is basically a GCC jaguar V rebranded as a Roland product.
Basically Roland has cheaped out on this machine just like Gerber/Spandex did in the 90s.
I have reported clunking and anomalies in cut files also due to the way the machine is manufactured scratching and marks appear on the vinyl. This is due to the media bunching and the small amount the knife blade moves when in the up and cutting position.

Does anyone have any similar issues with these plotters as Roland have acknowledged the issues but cannot supply a fix?

Thank You

ITK2023

I had a problem with my GR-540 on some materials where the blade would catch the surface between cuts - increasing the suction fan speed solved the problem.

heyskull

This is a newish GR2 you can only knock the fan ON or OFF.
Roland knows the issue but has no fix for it.

SC

heyskull

Does any other members of this forum have a new Roland GR2 plotter?
I have some serious issues with it.
Strange thing I noticed last week when I was on my warranty information on my machine that the warranty has been added another year on this machine.
I am not getting anywhere with Roland and my last conversation with them they ended it "that any issues with this machine will be resolved when they release the GR3"!!!!

flyinhawaiian968

Yeah, I have a GR2, but its the 540. Yes, its a pile of shite, and definitely not even close to being in the same class as the older cutters that they made (still have a CX-300 for 30" cut vinyl that I've owned since '04, it works perfectly and never complains or has a brain fart), but it seems to be doing okay and I'm not having any cut/damaged areas on prints that I run through the machine. In fact, once I slowed the cutting down, it seems to cut as good as my VG2-540, only slightly slower. Sure is a noisy machine that moves around a lot while cutting though.

Honestly, its just so cheaply made, I don't expect many years out of it (perhaps 3, maybe 4 years total?), considering the amount of work I shove through it. I am certain that I will not be buying Roland any more, between this thing and the VG2-540 pile of crap in my shop, I'm beyond done with Roland's inexcusable cheapness that is their vinyl print/cut lineup, the incessant cleaning of printheads (and built-in ink-wasting programming so they can continue to make money off of my shop) and the aggravation of all the things their "engineers" decided to take into account, or more accurately, decided NOT to.