• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Profiling Dye Sub tips and tricks?

Brian Tickenoff

As a G7 expert, I’m pretty familiar with creating custom profiles and getting them to within spec.
My next challenge will be dealing with a difficult client who needs some dye sub profiling done and from what little I know about it, it can be a finicky beast at best.
Anyone have any resources or recommendations on where to start and what to look out for?

mfatty500

I have no knowledge of profiling, but would be interested in the results, when, and, if you get one done.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
As a G7 expert, I’m pretty familiar with creating custom profiles and getting them to within spec.
My next challenge will be dealing with a difficult client who needs some dye sub profiling done and from what little I know about it, it can be a finicky beast at best.
Anyone have any resources or recommendations on where to start and what to look out for?
First, I suggest you check with the GT crowd for what they're doing lately.

Second, I'll assume you're wanting to profile large format fabric for display work such as decor and exhibits. In any case, ideally you would want iOne 3 for its large aperture and also for its polarizing filter to reduce the specular highlights from the poly. Specular highlights typically cause deep shadow colors to become crushed, therefore lacking detail. Something only experts might notice, fortunately. However with the i3, deep colors might appear odd as compared to everything else in the shop. So, profiles from earlier instruments are usually the norm and acceptable. It's easy to print multiple copies of swatches and average the lot to alleviate specular highlights.

Be sure the heat press behaves and always keeps a consistent temp. Klieveriks are worthy.

Good luck.