• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Q: Set posts in ground first or put up whole sign?

NovatoSigns

I am putting up a 108"x40" sign and wondering if it is smarter to set the 4x4 posts into the ground first, and attach the sign face once the concrete dries - or should I mount the sign board to the posts first and set everything into the ground at once?

Your help is appreciated!

MC

Speedsterbeast

Becasue you used posts as plural, I assume there is at least two posts. I would do it in two steps. You don't want to be trying to handle too much overhead weight at once while you're leveling the posts in drying concrerte But mostly I wouldn't try it becasue of the complications that may come up that I can't think of.

iSign

done it both ways
last time was last weekend and I didn't decide which until after digging.

In my case, I had great dirt and easily got deep enough holes, that were also easily made to match in depth.

I rested both poles in the holes & used a bar and a level to verify. Then I assembled one sign face on the post on the ground, dropped it in place, & back filled with dirt while keeping it plumb & level. I've only used concrete once in 20 years. putting the dirt back in (& sometimes a few strategically placed rocks) has been all I've ever needed except that once)

My sign was 2 single face signs back to back. The second sign was screwed in place after standing up the sign. If you put posts in first, be careful they don't rotate out of alignment. Maybe a few 2x4's spanning between will ensure a parallel distance & prevent rotating.

Billct2

With something that size we usually dig the holes, assemble the sign on the ground, stand it up in the holes , level and fill. One man can do a job like that, if you put the sign on after it helps to have another hand (though not necessary).

HulkSmash

its a 2 person install...

1. Stand up the sign (Fully Built)
2. Have someone mark where the posts are going to be dug.
3. lay the sign down, dig the holes.
4. drop poles into dug holes.
5. have 1 person hold the sign, the other fill the holes.

signmeup

It depends on the length of the posts. Is the sign is 2 feet off the ground or 10 feet? If 2 then dig holes install tubes lift sign with posts into place and pour concrete. If 10 feet you'll need two people.

#1 SignPro

I've done hundreds of this size and similar (4'8' and 4'x10') when I worked for a company that mainly did new home subdivisions. I'd say it was 75% of what we did. You can run (2) 2"x4" stringers about an inch or 2 from the top and bottom of sign to help with warping as well. Make sure to cut the stringers down to 107" to keep inside and not to the edge. You can do it by yourself assuming you can lift it by yourself, if not bring someone along just to get it into the holes.

TIP: We always used some PLAYSAND (fine as you can get) from Home Depot. Once the holes are dug about 30" for this size sign lift sign with poles attached into place. Use a level to see which side has to be lifted to make level. Pour about 5 inches into opposite hole first and level it. Pour 5 inches into side that has to be raised then lift slightly (sand will go underneath) to level. Then add concrete after leveling front and back.

skyhigh

its a 2 person install...

1. Stand up the sign (Fully Built)
2. Have someone mark where the posts are going to be dug.
3. lay the sign down, dig the holes.
4. drop poles into dug holes.
5. have 1 person hold the sign, the other fill the holes.

LOL..... did you ever hear of a tape measure? Damn thats the funniest thing I've read since....since, your last bit of advice.

Stand up the sign so you can mark where to dig.....:ROFLMAO: Lay the sign down :ROFLMAO:

Do you really have to lay the sign down again, being you have 2 guys? One to hold the sign and one to dig. You can take turns digging but make sure the other guy holds the sign before you let go.

HulkSmash

LOL..... did you ever hear of a tape measure? Damn thats the funniest thing I've read since....since, your last bit of advice.

Stand up the sign so you can mark where to dig.....:ROFLMAO: Lay the sign down :ROFLMAO:

Do you really have to lay the sign down again, being you have 2 guys? One to hold the sign and one to dig. You can take turns digging but make sure the other guy holds the sign before you let go.

Actually the way i described is a lot easier. Mark it, lay it, dig it, install it.
We usually have 2 guys go out on an install, even if it's a one person job. Goes much faster.
If you weren't so ignorant you'd realize a sign the size mentioned in the OP is rather large and much easier to do using this method. Oh, and what if the customer wants the sign in a certain angle, not better way then to do it the way i described.

It's fine though, i see as usual you have given solid advice..
Wait you didn't... :Oops:

Guess it doesnt show you how to install signs in the sign craft pricing guide

:clapping:

skyhigh

its all good colorado. If I need to know how to "install" some vehicle graphics, I'll check with you first. As for installing "real" signs, you can call me anytime.

MikePro

WELCOME FROM WISCONSIN! :smile:
if you need help, call a sign guy... and if you ARE a sign guy, introduce yourself to the forums.
that being said:

I put up 48"x96" MDO p&p signs, solo, all the time! Double-sided even.
always, sign + posts at same time.

beats the heck outta "twist" alignment AND why would you want to be trying to hold a heavy panel overhead while screwing it into legs that aren't completely dried in concrete? just sounds like a mess waiting to happen.

also, having your sign assembled helps you to see placement before you even start digging.

HulkSmash

its all good colorado. If I need to know how to "install" some vehicle graphics, I'll check with you first. As for installing "real" signs, you can call me anytime.

Funny. My advice i offered was the right way to do it. If you don't like it that's fine with me. Still you haven't offered any. Use a tape measure? You sure you wont get tangled up in it? :covereyes:

I do more signs then wraps...actually. Wraps are a bigger part of our business cause we make much more doing them. What's your website..wait do you have one? I'd love to see it.

Do you realize you never win these? And every time you try to be funny, you actually make yourself look quite dumb.

And thanks Kieth, at least some of us know how to help..

Last edited:

HulkSmash

Join the premium section Mr.Cheapo and you may see a couple.
(you owe me a commission Fred).

Now imagine 2 guys holding up a 4x8 sign. This sign will be in the ground 3 ft and have 5ft out to the bottom of the sign. Then we have the 4'height of the sign itself. So now 2 guys stand this 12' tall sign & posts up to calculate the "turn".

My question...... which one lets go to mark the holes & stand back to see how it looks and if the turn is right?

I'm in the premium section, haven't seen any.

Last time i checked 108" wasnt 8 feet.

skyhigh

ok

Attachments

• 0205111044.jpg
    0205111044.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 163

HulkSmash

Did you use a measuring tape and 1 man for that?
Let me guess, you searched for the biggest sign you've done?

HulkSmash

I'm sorry....that advice was just off base in my book.

Do you usually only laugh at your own jokes? Here's another time where you're making yourself look stupid. You never do support yourself in your lousy statements.

In any case this is silly. We all do things differently, you always seem to TRY to be part of a mob, but usually your alone, and make yourself look silly. this is pointless.

skyhigh

work smart or work stupid.

You picking up and down a sign, just to mark holes is stupid. (a sign of that size anyways).

fyi....no joke.

HulkSmash

or you can just hold it up, instead of laying it down? Who cares it's the same method.

The way you try to make other people look like they don't know what they're doing really shows you're how great of a person you are. Go get excitement somewhere else.

skyhigh

Did you use a measuring tape and 1 man for that?
Let me guess, you searched for the biggest sign you've done?

yep, one man lifted that sign. Nothing gets by you.

Nope not the biggest, although I don't have too many higher.....a few.
That was one of the first pictures I came across of a "larger" sign install.